Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Pay by Phone Parking in Btn

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Anyone else have regular issues?

What should be straightforward seems to regularly fail.

Wife has to pay for parking near the hospital and the bloody app keeps declining the payment method which means I get a call and have to process a payment. Today, it kept awaiting me to authorise the payment via my banking app and once done, go back to the paybyphone app and get a message that there's a poor connection! It was bloody good enough for my banking app!!!!

Had to resolve it by ringing PBP and making payment over the phone (they don't make it easy to find a number to ring). The person I spoke to claimed it was because mastercard keep changing security requirements but we never have problems elsewhere. Didn't explain the alleged connection issues.

Tried ringing the council but spent 10 minutes going through various menus and recorded messages only for it to automatically cut me off.

Signing off as a grumpy old man longing for the days when you rang a company and a human being answered!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be fair the new Mastercard (and Visa) security is a pain in the arse. Even big card transaction processors like Worldpay are still having problems with 3D Secure. My partner is in e-commerce and they’re having a nightmare with it despite trying to integrate for the last 12 months

Ultimately it is triggered because your bank or Mastercard deem the transaction to need extra validation / security

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Wife has to pay for parking near the hospital and the bloody app keeps declining the payment method which means I get a call and have to process a payment. Today, it kept awaiting me to authorise the payment via my banking app and once done, go back to the paybyphone app and get a message that there's a poor connection! It was bloody good enough for my banking app!!!!

Had to resolve it by ringing PBP and making payment over the phone (they don't make it easy to find a number to ring). The person I spoke to claimed it was because mastercard keep changing security requirements but we never have problems elsewhere. Didn't explain the alleged connection issues.

Tried ringing the council but spent 10 minutes going through various menus and recorded messages only for it to automatically cut me off.

Signing off as a grumpy old man longing for the days when you rang a company and a human being answered!!
Should be outlawed. Discrimination against the millions who don't have, and choose not to have, smart phones.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yep, regularly have problems - real pain in the arse and the new approve in banking app thing has made it worse. I regularly have problems with declined payments when I know the details and security code I've entered are correct

Jimmy Grimble

Also had a similar issue the other week. I was in a rush and only needed to buy an hours parking (for a 20 minute job!) so just chanced it and luckily didn’t get a ticket.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To be fair the new Mastercard (and Visa) security is a pain in the arse. Even big card transaction processors like Worldpay are still having problems with 3D Secure. My partner is in e-commerce and they’re having a nightmare with it despite trying to integrate for the last 12 months

Ultimately it is triggered because your bank or Mastercard deem the transaction to need extra validation / security

Don't mind having to approve transactions but today the app kept claiming there was no connection when I was sitting about 2m from my router and the banking app was working absolutely fine.

Also, can't think of any other app or online payments that I make that have issues.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I have had issues too. It also pisses me off that I have to pay a 'transaction fee' to pay for the parking. Wtf is that about? Parking is a ripp off enough without adding salt to it.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
We have a good system up here in Lancashire for parking machines. It's called "cash". Works a treat, and no transaction fees.

(They do have phone payments as well. I saw a couple of barristers trying to work it the other day - successfully, in the end.)

No doubt they will abolish it soon on the grounds of convenience. It's convenient for the customer but not convenient for the council.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Should be outlawed. Discrimination against the millions who don't have, and choose not to have, smart phones.

People who couldn't write in the 1930's thought life was unfair, it is just a life skill now. Using a phone and PC is becoming the same.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People who couldn't write in the 1930's thought life was unfair, it is just a life skill now. Using a phone and PC is becoming the same.

Bullshit. Pople who couldn't read or write could sign with an X. No smart phone - you can't park (not street parking in Gloucester anyway). Elitism and discrimiation, pure and simple. It's the same elitism that says if you haven't got an expensive nice new car you can't drive through many city centres without being fined. Oh, and if you've got a nice expensive new car, you don't have to pay car tax either - you must be 'one of us', not some sort of unworthy poor person.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
We have a good system up here in Lancashire for parking machines. It's called "cash". Works a treat, and no transaction fees.

(They do have phone payments as well. I saw a couple of barristers trying to work it the other day - successfully, in the end.)

No doubt they will abolish it soon on the grounds of convenience. It's convenient for the customer but not convenient for the council.

There have been some big rip offs with "cash" payments down here which is why it was replaced. Nobody took responsibility for the corruption.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Luddite.

Swap 'smart phone' for 'smoke censor' and read that again.....

Paging [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bullshit. Pople who couldn't read or write could sign with an X. No smart phone - you can't park (not street parking in Gloucester anyway). Elitism and discrimiation, pure and simple. It's the same elitism that says if you haven't got an expensive nice new car you can't drive through many city centres without being fined. Oh, and if you've got a nice expensive new car, you don't have to pay car tax either - you must be 'one of us', not some sort of unworthy poor person.

Surprised you find the time to log on to NSC with all that loom smashing and desecration of the tomb of Caxton preoccupying your waking hours ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Does it accept Euros?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

Yes I have been having lots of the same problems recently. There seems to be a ridiculous verification process and if you are in a rush its easy to think that the parking has been approved when it hasn't. Once the app times out or has a bad connection then I often need to restart my phone or I keep getting the same error even if I come out of the app and go back in.

A year or so ago I actually approved parking on the app but still got a ticket!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes I have been having lots of the same problems recently. There seems to be a ridiculous verification process and if you are in a rush its easy to think that the parking has been approved when it hasn't. Once the app times out or has a bad connection then I often need to restart my phone or I keep getting the same error even if I come out of the app and go back in.

A year or so ago I actually approved parking on the app but still got a ticket!

Same problem this morning regarding alleged unstable connection.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
The most frustrating issue is that unless you’re paying to park your car for a month or something (a week in Brighton) you shouldn’t need to authenticate a parking charge under the new regs at all. The trans value is FAR too low!!

When the 3DS iframe pops up asking for authentication look out for a little url to give you the option to whitelist the merchant(s) that you have used over the last (Approx) 12m and you’ll never have to authenticate them again. I just added PBP. Sorted

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I think this is very much a horses for courses subject.

When I used to be on the road a lot the parking apps coming in were an absolute godsend.

It used to be a nightmare trying to make sure you had enough change. Sometimes the only available parking in London was a £4 an hour metre which only accepted pound coins and had the collection wankers circling round it like vultures!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

When I read the first paragraph of your post I wondered if I'd started a thread in my sleep as eveything in that first paragraph applies to my wife and me, even down to the location of near the hospital.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here