Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Whelch

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I knew Paul from the early days of Seagulls Over London, he certainly has his finger on the pulse all things Albion related.

Wish you a speedy recovery mate.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I'm a regular at SOL so know Paul fairly well. Gutted to hear he's in a bad way. He's one of the old guard of The Albion so to speak. Hope you recover as best as poss Paul.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don't know him but big respect for organising the march at Fulham - it was a unique and great day out for all of us who attended. Tremendous camerardarie.
My best wishes that he pulls through this and gets his bum back on his seat at the Amex.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Wishing him all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Very sad to read this.

Keep fighting Paul. Just like you did for the future of our club.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
All I can do is add my name to all those who wish him a speedy recovery.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Paul Whelch was driving some of the very best Albion in the community activity long before that concept got elevated into a 'brand'. Endless years of heroic but unsung work with Falmer for All. Organising all those Withdean litter patrols - try telling that to the kids of today and they'll never believe you. And, of course, Seagulls over London, where he's been responsible for some of the most entertaining Albion evenings and social events ever. His Audience with Colin Kazim-Richards and the Grand Tour of the Fullers Brewery in Chiswick (with samples) were especially memorable.

If you're reading this, Paul, get well soon, and I'll look forward to our next pint up at The Swan.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Paul Whelch was driving some of the very best Albion in the community activity long before that concept got elevated into a 'brand'. Endless years of heroic but unsung work with Falmer for All. Organising all those Withdean litter patrols - try telling that to the kids of today and they'll never believe you. And, of course, Seagulls over London, where he's been responsible for some of the most entertaining Albion evenings and social events ever. His Audience with Colin Kazim-Richards and the Grand Tour of the Fullers Brewery in Chiswick (with samples) were especially memorable.

If you're reading this, Paul, get well soon, and I'll look forward to our next pint up at The Swan.

Not been to SOL for ages, but just to reiterate Paul bleeds blue and white. Not in the slightest inappropriate under the circumstances the NHS will just have to deal with it.

Probing, questioning and independently thinking.

If you think you are a fan meet Paul.

Come on fella :)

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I also recall Paul from SOL meetings and away trips with SOL.
Let's hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
As others have said Paul worked tirelessly for the cause and was a real thorn in the side of Bellotti and Archer. As I was also London based I joined Paul in some of the London based BISA activities, most notably meeting with the FA. I recall three meetings, one before the away Cup game at Sudbury where we met a rather pleasant but clearly ineffective 'blazer', another meeting with the then Secretary which also wasn't very satisfactory, and finally a meeting with David Davis. This took place on a Sunday at Lancaster Gate, we were on the guest list for the televised FA Cup draw. I think the live game was Chelsea v Liverpool, and Ron 'Chopper' Harris was certainly there - the entertainment was down the road at White's Hotel, I recall pouring tea and offering Ron a slice of cake! At some point we had a conversation with Gordon McKeag (FA Chairman) who asked 'what is going on at your club' - to which we replied 'shouldn't you be telling us, and what are you going to do?' - that was a quick conversation! After the draw we went upstairs to David's office, more tea and out came the Chocolate Digestives and the conversation started. Initially it was rather bland - you could say FA was discussed, at some point we discussed possible exit's for Bellotti and I recall suggesting the FA offer him a job, David's expression was enough, it was clear what he thought, he just wasn't saying it. He did say he was impressed at the general restraint shown by the supporters, we counted that the situation could explode and that the fans were looking for leadership from the FA. This was all in the run up to Euro '96, so a repeat of the York City abandonment was a real concern to the FA. We suggested that BISA could step back from the campaign of peaceful protests and let the situation run it's natural course, he took this as an implied threat. However it did spur him to reveal that the FA was prepared to organise and pay for arbitration between Archer and Dick Knight. As we now know, this was instrumental in bringing Archer to the table. A little later Davis spoke at the BISA meeting at the Concord and revealed the plan. Interesting times!
I'm sure Paul has many more war stories, and let's hope he's up and about very soon - Get Well, Paul.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It has all been said in the posts above. He's a hero of the Albion and we all wish him a speedy recovery.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Get well soon, Paul

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here