Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Trollope, new Albion assistant manager

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He was only sacked in October, so maybe his payoff was covering a couple of months notice?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Can't help feeling all those touting Gerrard, whether for this job (no chance), MK Dons or whatever, are falling into the classic trap of assuming that, because somebody was a great player, he'll make a great manager.

History shows plenty of failures in that respect. Equally, it shows us plenty of highly successful managers who weren't exactly world class players (Wenger, peak Mourinho, Klopp etc). Being a great manager in this day & age strikes me as being more about having a real empathy with people, about being able to relate to them and understand their wants & needs, and earning their respect & trust accordingly. It's about making them feel valued & wanting to contribute (hopefully that doesn't sound too David Brent...). That's what makes players want to do their best for you, it's what keeps them on your side and pulling in the same direction even when they might not be in the team. The coaching side of it tends to be dealt with by others anyway, so playing ability doesn't really come into it. Sure, you might get younger players going "Wow, Steven Gerrard, I really want to impress him", but if he's then found wanting in the day to day people-management side of things, then he'll eventually fail.

He'd also bring a massive media circus with him, which is absolutely not what our current squad is about. No thanks from me.

Looking around at present successful managers ie Liverpool, Leicester and even us. And comparing that with the internal revolts happening within some previously successful clubs, where managers have lost trust or become disliked by players. I happily believe that is spot on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton & Hove Albion have today confirmed the appointment of Paul Trollope as assistant manager to Chris Hughton.

Trollope, 44, will take up his new role with immediate effect joining first-team coach Paul Nevin and first-team goalkeeping coach Ben Roberts as a member of Hughton's senior coaching staff.

Trollope was most recently manager at Cardiff City, where he succeeded former Albion boss Russell Slade; and a member of Chris Coleman's Wales coaching staff, and he contributed to the country's impressive run to a semi-final place at last summer's European Championships in France.

Swindon-born Trollope previously worked with Hughton at Birmingham City, during the 2011/12 Championship season, and at Norwich City - where Trollope also worked alongside Nevin - from the summer of 2012 until April 2014.

Albion manager Hughton commented, "I'm delighted to be working with Paul again, as we did at both Birmingham and Norwich.

"He's an excellent coach, and since his time with me, he's gone on to gain great experience at international level with Wales and in club management with Cardiff City."

Trollope started his coaching career at Bristol Rovers as a 33-year-old caretaker manager while still a player for the club.

He went on to spend a further five years as manager, leading Bristol Rovers to victory in the League Two Play Off Final and the Football League Trophy Final in 2007, before stabilising the club in League One and reaching the FA Cup quarter-finals in 2008.

As a player, Trollope was capped nine times by Wales, between 1997 and 2003. He began his career at Swindon Town - where his father, John, made 900 appearances - and went on to play almost 400 first-team games himself as a midfielder at Torquay United, Derby County, Fulham, and Northampton Town, scoring 37 goals.

Trollope secured three promotions as a player, including two to the Premier League - one with Derby County (as runner up in 1995/96) and another at Fulham (as champions in the 2000/01 season).

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Posh spice is a slapper
She really is a trollop
and when she's shagging Beckham,

...no, it's not going to work.

How about.....

Posh spice is a slapper
She really likes to lollop
and when she's shagging Beckham
She thinks of Paul Trollope

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I actually felt quite worried when Calderwood went, particularly given the circumstances.

I feel very reassured now. We might even be coming out of it better.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Firstly great appointment, but what seems to have been a case of tapping up for our assistant manager, is now almost confirmed by Calderwood himself. http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo.../aston-villas-colin-calderwood-gives-12221888
Are the rules on tapping up the same for managers and coaches? In the Birmingham mail it alludes to the fact that Calderwood was contacted by Villa, and from then on, he had a decision to make. Sounds like tapping up to me. Hard to prove, but in this article Calderwood's quotes almost admit it in my view. The clubs have now agreed the compensation so now the matter is closed, but I wonder if the Albion knew he was tapped and might have got more out of Villa?

Calderwood is quoted as saying “It’s been a difficult decision in the first place to leave Chris (Hughton) and Brighton, but I’m delighted to get the opportunity,” said Calderwood, who played for Villa briefly during his career."

Brighton chief Hughton was visibly frustrated when confirming Calderwood’s departure to Villa after the match between the two sides last Friday.

And Calderwood admitted talks between he and Bruce were short before the Scot began work at Bodymoor Heath this week.

He said: “They were quite limited in all honesty. When the contact was made, you are obviously flattered to be wanted. From then on, it was down to me to make a decision and firstly, for the clubs to make a decision and come to an agreement."

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great news. Good track record and experience as a coach, worked with CH before so clearly rated by him, and swiftly done. Well done BHAFC and welcome PT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here