Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Paul McCartney - 80

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He did go right wing, talk up Hitler and the far right and say the country needed a dictator or some such bs though.

As Rick James rightly said "Cocaine is a helluva drug".

On the discussion about whether McCartney should be headlining Glastonbury, if Coldplay have done it three times why does anybody care? People make out like it was previously some haven for all things alternative, but even in the eighties it was putting on the likes of Simply Red, Level 42 and The Hothouse Flowers. It was always the eclectic festival and, as the stages have grown, it now tries to cater for all. The Pyramid Stage headliner is generally for the monied, middle class mainstream who can't clap in time to believe that they're down with the cutting edge for a weekend. McCartney is ideal fare for them. A lot will just want to be able to say that they saw him.

On the subject of whether he has 'lost it', some will be aware of my view that he had little to lose in the first place. I've mentioned it once or twice. However, I would suggest that there is value in watching artists in their later years. Having resisted watching Brian Wilson's live show for quite a few years, because of a feeling that he was a damaged man who was being wheeled out for curiosity value, I was buoyed up by watching 'Love & Mercy' and recorded his Glasto appearance that was on BBC4 at the weekend. I actually felt a bit moved by seeing him up there, slightly confused, sometimes missing lyrics, or off key, but still maintaining a belief in the power of music that seems to have sustained him through a very difficult life. Watching Johnny Cash's last ever show on Youtube seemed to have the same personal level of profundity for those of us forced to confront the effects of aging. If McCartney fans can get the same thing from watching him in his eighties, then good luck to them. It won't matter that the power might be lacking, or the vitality missing, they'll be getting something else from the show. Even if its just nostlagia, I wouldn't sniff at that in the awful times that we're all currently living through.

And contrary to the impression I may have given, I don't actually hate all of the Beatles' songs. I hope Macca sings his classics like 'Here Comes The Sun', 'Taxman', 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and of course Frank Sinatra's favourite Lennon and McCartney song: :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UelDrZ1aFeY

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

On the discussion about whether McCartney should be headlining Glastonbury, if Coldplay have done it three times why does anybody care? People make out like it was previously some haven for all things alternative, but even in the eighties it was putting on the likes of Simply Red, Level 42 and The Hothouse Flowers. It was always the eclectic festival and, as the stages have grown, it now tries to cater for all. The Pyramid Stage headliner is generally for the monied, middle class mainstream who can't clap in time to believe that they're down with the cutting edge for a weekend. McCartney is ideal fare for them. A lot will just want to be able to say that they saw him.

On the subject of whether he has 'lost it', some will be aware of my view that he had little to lose in the first place. I've mentioned it once or twice. However, I would suggest that there is value in watching artists in their later years. Having resisted watching Brian Wilson's live show for quite a few years, because of a feeling that he was a damaged man who was being wheeled out for curiosity value, I was buoyed up by watching 'Love & Mercy' and recorded his Glasto appearance that was on BBC4 at the weekend. I actually felt a bit moved by seeing him up there, slightly confused, sometimes missing lyrics, or off key, but still maintaining a belief in the power of music that seems to have sustained him through a very difficult life. Watching Johnny Cash's last ever show on Youtube seemed to have the same personal level of profundity for those of us forced to confront the effects of aging. If McCartney fans can get the same thing from watching him in his eighties, then good luck to them. It won't matter that the power might be lacking, or the vitality missing, they'll be getting something else from the show. Even if its just nostlagia, I wouldn't sniff at that in the awful times that we're all currently living through.

And contrary to the impression I may have given, I don't actually hate all of the Beatles' songs. I hope Macca sings his classics like 'Here Comes The Sun', 'Taxman', 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and of course Frank Sinatra's favourite Lennon and McCartney song: :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UelDrZ1aFeY

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Taxman is a great example of er McCartney at his best. The iconic bass line and the visceral guitar burst that made George's song so memorable. Both played and no doubt created by Macca.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

A lot will just want to be able to say that they saw him.

Exactly. Reminds me of when I finally got to see Bob Dylan when he was 69 in 2012. He was crap, but I'm still glad I went, and I got enough out of it to be glad I went.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Exactly. Reminds me of when I finally got to see Bob Dylan when he was 69 in 2012. He was crap, but I'm still glad I went, and I got enough out of it to be glad I went.

I saw Bob in 1995. He was crap then too. I guess that you can't call yourself a proper Dylan fan until you have your own 'he was rubbish' story. As usual, Norm Macdonald's was best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZoYO7JubqI

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

That wasn't Hop Farm was it? Dylan was atrocious, I'm not sure I got anything out of it and he was a big reason me and my mate went. One of the biggest disappointments I've ever seen.

I don't understand the McCartney bashing, he's half of the greatest song writing partnership of the last century, and frankly I'd count myself lucky to see him before it's too late.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
That wasn't Hop Farm was it? Dylan was atrocious, I'm not sure I got anything out of it and he was a big reason me and my mate went. One of the biggest disappointments I've ever seen.

I don't understand the McCartney bashing, he's half of the greatest song writing partnership of the last century, and frankly I'd count myself lucky to see him before it's too late.

Singapore.

TBH, I wasn't expecting much as there had been many reports that his voice had gone (yes, I know ..) and YouTube evidence, so I was well prepared for this and no communication with the audience. Norm MacDonald in post #67 above was so right about not even being possible to identify which song he was 'singing' in several of them. On the other hand, he did manage a still rousing Like a Rolling Stone' to finish, and John Legend before Dylan played a good set.

Agree about McCartney bashing. I guess it's cool for some to do it and about The Beatles, too.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Singapore.

TBH, I wasn't expecting much as there had been many reports that his voice had gone (yes, I know ..) and YouTube evidence, so I was well prepared for this and no communication with the audience. Norm MacDonald in post #67 above was so right about not even being possible to identify which song he was 'singing' in several of them. On the other hand, he did manage a still rousing Like a Rolling Stone' to finish, and John Legend before Dylan played a good set.

Agree about McCartney bashing. I guess it's cool for some to do it and about The Beatles, too.

I wasn't at all prepared. I really remember standing for about 4 minutes into one song before my mate turned to me and asked "is this Like a Rolling Stone?"

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Singapore.

It's a NSC demographic thing. Bowie was brilliant throughout. Only a few dare stick up for the 'limited' talents of Macca.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I was there! And yes, you're right he was beyond dreadful; I'd never seen him before and it was such a disappointment. For the rest of the weekend I kept overhearing arguments with some people saying "He was shit!" and others saying "You can't say that! He's a legend!"

(Agree with you about McCartney as well).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'll just balance out this thread a tiny bit by stating he was a PHENOMENAL, natural songwriter in his prime.

You can see it in the recent Get Back doc - he has a compulsion to write songs, melodies just falling out of him.

A tendency towards scmaltz/cheese at times, sure, but he was the one Beatle who really seemed to understand how special what they had as a 4 was and so tried the hardest to keep it going.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He asked me one day if I could make him an sandwich. I said sorry the kitchen was closed.

To be honest it all sounds like your experience of him as a person may have been vastly different if you'd just made him a sandwich. :lol:

Obviously, I'm not going to argue with your first hand experience. However, for balance, I also have spoken to a couple of people who have worked with/met him via the music industry, and they were very positive about his character. Very open, chatty and generous with his time and knowledge.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He asked me one day if I could make him an sandwich. I said sorry the kitchen was closed. He got really grumpy...

To be honest it all sounds like your experience of him as a person may have been vastly different if you'd just made him a sandwich. :lol:

Could have been worse. It could have been Jeremy Clarkson

punish:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It's a NSC demographic thing. Bowie was brilliant throughout. Only a few dare stick up for the 'limited' talents of Macca.

As I already have a big target on my back from my comments about the fabs, I may as well open myself up to further derision and say that I thought Bowie was hugely overrated too. I understand his cultural importance. I appreciate how important he is to a lot of people. I just wouldn't choose to listen to very many of his records: I'll take Life on Mars, Changes, Oh You Pretty Things. I could pretty much leave the rest. I do appreciate his contributions to Lou Reed's Transformer, as I'm grateful for Macca's producing 'Urban Spaceman' for the Bonzo's.

Having recently read Adam Buxton's book, I accept that this completely alienates me from a certain group of music nerds. Ah well, I've known what it is like to be uncool ever since 1981 when I was believed that Shaddap You Face deserved to keep Vienna off Number One. (A view that I still stand by and have bored on about on here previously).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As I already have a big target on my back from my comments about the fabs, I may as well open myself up to further derision and say that I thought Bowie was hugely overrated too. I understand his cultural importance. I appreciate how important he is to a lot of people. I just wouldn't choose to listen to very many of his records: I'll take Life on Mars, Changes, Oh You Pretty Things. I could pretty much leave the rest. I do appreciate his contributions to Lou Reed's Transformer, as I'm grateful for Macca's producing 'Urban Spaceman' for the Bonzo's.

Having recently read Adam Buxton's book, I accept that this completely alienates me from a certain group of music nerds. Ah well, I've known what it is like to be uncool ever since 1981 when I was believed that Shaddap You Face deserved to keep Vienna off Number One. (A view that I still stand by and have bored on about on here previously).

I still like 99% of your posts.

OK, 97%.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I’ll leave things as I remember them, I haven’t watched any of his live performances on the box for years, I like The Beatles, in fact I love The Beatles, and I liked their individual solo stuff in the 70s and early 80s, McCartneys Ram album from 1971 remains one of my favourites, however I don’t listen to that “type of thing” anymore, I prefer new stuff like Black Country, New Road, Shame, Black Midi, Squid etc which is a million miles from No More Lonely Nights

Funny, I like those bands you mention too, seen them all live more than a few times. But, still love all the old stuff and still listen to lots of old stuff including Macca who is a national treasure in my view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here