Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber Program Notes Today

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There is a difference between having an argument and a reasoned and balanced discussion and interrogation of the facts.

I was not one of the trolls on here saying Sami out, Barber out, Burke out before, and just because we've won a few games against relegation favourites, I'm not going to say we are about to reach the top 6 again without reinvestment into quality replacements for the playing staff who have left.

It seems if you sit in the middle and ask rational questions you get hammered by both extremes on NSC.

If I posted these comments tonight following two consecutive losses the responses would be very different.

Sigh

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I liked that he nominated Andy Naylor for the Ice Bucket Challenge. Good way to tie-up that recent little bit of mischief.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I respect your posts normally but have no idea what you're getting at with this analogy. Holla was available all pre-season and could have been signed and training with the squad throughout pre-season if we moved quicker. Surely that is preferable to putting him straight into the squad on a few days notice? Ditto Tex.

Either we knew about these players already and deliberately waited until the last minute to buy them (a tactic normally reserved for lowering transfer fees, which is not applicable on a freebie and a loan) OR we were made aware of the players then immediately snapped them up, opening more questions about the scouting network, due diligence in assessing the players prior to signing them, etc...

Either way, it's extremely hard to understand our "policy" this transfer window!

Holla - Den Haag offered him a 3 year contract extension at the beginning of the year , although their last game was in mid May the players would still be under contract until the 30th June as in the UK. If Dutch players are anything like their British counterparts they could have taken a well earned holiday or gone over to Brazil to watch the World Cup. Negotiations are not straightforward and missing pre season friendlies isn't the end of the world.

Tex - Liverpool had to make a decision whether he would be included in the named 25 squad , defer any decision until January to see if he was good enough to break into the team or send him out on loan. Without Sami at the helm I very much doubt we would have landed a starlet.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
As said before Paul Barber is only paid £20k per annum.
He also gets £1 for every time he doesn't reply to a loyal bleed blue and white Albion fan 'go f*** yourself, f*** off and support Citeh'.

PB has earned himself another few quid there.

Paul Barber is paid per word he writes.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Right. So we lose three strikers, one of who is far better than the other two. We need to buy at least two to replace them, one of which is going to be much harder to get, much more expensive, and who will have a much larger range of options to sign for. We get one in fairly quickly and cheaply, and continue to search for the other one, which is a much harder signing to make. Which one do you think is the replacement for Ulloa? The guy we got in quickly and cheaply, or the guy we are still doing everything we can to source?

It's really not that difficult to understand.

Spot on. I'm more than happy that we don't get a purchased replacement for Ulloa this window IF the club don't think that the right player(s) are available, and they will be in January. We're doing OK with loans, and we could get a decent short-term option in. CMS had a great game today.
We don't need to make short-term decisions, just because we obviously need another striker. If you looked at the players we've brought in recently today, it's quite apparent that the recruitment policy is all well and good.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I will admit, I was really concerned about the club through August. However, wow, some excellent signings and the enthusiasm is beating harder than ever. The quality of Holla has really impressed me, he will be a top player for us.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Spot on. I'm more than happy that we don't get a purchased replacement for Ulloa this window IF the club don't think that the right player(s) are available, and they will be in January. We're doing OK with loans, and we could get a decent short-term option in. CMS had a great game today.
We don't need to make short-term decisions, just because we obviously need another striker. If you looked at the players we've brought in recently today, it's quite apparent that the recruitment policy is all well and good.

And if we are in the bottom half of the table in January with our strikers not scoring enough goals you'll admit you're wrong?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
There is a difference between having an argument and a reasoned and balanced discussion and interrogation of the facts.

I was not one of the trolls on here saying Sami out, Barber out, Burke out before, and just because we've won a few games against relegation favourites, I'm not going to say we are about to reach the top 6 again without reinvestment into quality replacements for the playing staff who have left.

It's a fair point. I'm not going to say, despite my elation at the quality we've exhibited in the last two games, that we're destined for greatness this year. Two good games does not a season make. My disagreement with your view however is bedded in this:

Tex, a late addition, has been very good.
Holla, a late addition, has been very good.
Bennett, into the team just 24(ish) hours before today, was very good.

Conversely, we've lost Buckley who, by his own admission, wasn't in the right mindset. Ulloa, admittedly a big loss but for a good chunk of cash and we lost out on Ward who seems happy to sit in third place at Burnley.

To my eyes this has not been a bad transfer window at all.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not going to say we are about to reach the top 6 again without reinvestment into quality replacements for the playing staff who have left.

So i think what you're saying is that if we invest in 2 quality attacking players before the window closes we will have a competitive squad.

As for attacking players then Paul Barber's notes in the programmes this week. "there's still some work for us to do before the window closes", we've sold Ashley Barnes, Ulloa and released Will Hoskins since January and only bought in Chris O Grady then er, it must be strikers left to fill.
Every other area (defence/GK, midfield) now looks filled so ...

Now does that mean we will make the top 6 ? I've no idea. Its a tough league, Sami is in his first season, luck might not go our way, injuries etc etc.
But whats left to argue about ?

We're going to make 2 big attacking signings in the next few days or so. Why wouldn't you think we wouldn't ?

We've signed 8 other players this window. 2 more to go...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And if we are in the bottom half of the table in January with our strikers not scoring enough goals you'll admit you're wrong?

No, I wouldn't. Similarly, I wouldn't expect you to admit you're wrong, if things were going well at the same stage. It's not about snapshot moments, it's about what's going on in the long term. And as far as I'm concerned, it's going well.

It's that simple.

Westmead Fan

Jul 17, 2014
1 striker is all the team needs if they can't find a top quality player that will be a good investment then i would be very happy with a loan player till January then try again

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Which is fine and I, of course, understand.

Of course, your post is put speculation.

You are speculating that we are going to sign a quality replacement for our best striker, Ulloa. If we do sign it, then your speculation will be correct. If we sign someone else, as you rightly point out, on the cheap and he is not in Ulloa's calibre then you'll recognise that the transfer window was not successful, presumably. Or would it be the manager or team's fault?

I think most of the posts concerning the club's transfer activity are based on pure speculation, but I actually think that if we start playing to CMS 's strengths, we may not need to sign an expensive Ulloa replacement. We paid a lot for him and I don't think he has ever been able to play the way he did when he made his reputation. From comments made from today's commentary, he looked a lot sharper playing in today's team/ formation.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
As a lone striker CMS IMO was excellent today,unless he is off to Peterborough,then i can see no need for Baldock who it seems will cost zillions .

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Nice one PB

The old 'divide and rule' method

'Hysterical outpourings on social media' v. 'calm and supportive e-mails from fans'

Pitting fan against fan

The thing is Paul, we've been through the mill supporting BHA for years, and you can't pull the wool over our eyes...

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Nice one PB

'Hysterical outpourings on social media' v. 'calm and supportive e-mails from fans'

Pitting fan against fan

The thing is Paul, we've been through the mill supporting BHA for years, and you can't pull the wool over our eyes...

:lolol:

I realise this was said in sarcasm, but it genuinely made me laugh, well done!

The age of the internet, even when people love the same thing, they love one thing more above anything else - hating and arguing with anyone who doesn't agree with them. What a time to be alive :thumbsup:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He's a top bloke, get's ridiculous amounts of stick from some. He's not beyond criticism but has certainly done vastly more good than harm to the club.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Nice one PB

Pitting fan against fan

"...it's very easy to criticise the club and some of the staff using the anonymity provided by a keyboard, but it's a lot harder to actually do the business itself."

Boom.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nice one PB

Pitting fan against fan

Fortunately football and most reasonable people have moved on in 30 years.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He's a top bloke, get's ridiculous amounts of stick from some. He's not beyond criticism but has certainly done vastly more good than harm to the club.

Couldn't agree more I would like to see how some posters on here would cope if they suffered as much criticism as he gets in their jobs

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
"...it's very easy to criticise the club and some of the staff using the anonymity provided by a keyboard, but it's a lot harder to actually do the business itself."

Boom.

That is indeed a point that cannot be denied. When people hurl nasty, personal abuse at others, it is hard to see how doing so from behind the anonymity of a keyboard can be construed as anything but cowardice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here