Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber on today's FFP vote

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
So six clubs remained firm and voted against the change. I bet they are pleased with us, who have spouted so much in favour, through Barber, of the importance of FFP, are now well p*ssed off after we have turned our backs on them.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good on Charlton I say.

FFP is clearly a joke now.

Unsustainable losses now allowed . How many clubs will go to the wall during this gold rush I wonder?

This. There is some good news though; we now know not to believe a single word Barber says.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Good on Charlton I say.

Unsustainable losses now allowed . How many clubs will go to the wall during this gold rush I wonder?

Not a gold rush, a credit rush probably!

I can only think that we agreed as the FL had to future proof Championship FFP - the original rules were drawn up when parachute payments were at least 50% less. If the PL version has the desired effect and relegated PL teams are vaguely well managed, the enormous parachute payments will be a much bigger advantage to them than they are now. To keep the existing rules would have meant putting ourselves at an even bigger disadvantage in the future. There is no compulsion for clubs to spend this money of course, but those that can will. Is it right? No, but I can understand why they did it.

SAC

May 21, 2014

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Good on Charlton I say.

But that's just it.
Are the revised loss limits at numbers that TB is happy to keep spending to? It's an awful lot of cash to gamble away year after year. If he doesn't mind then yes, we will be competitive.
If TB doesn't have or wish to spend those sort of figures then our ambition to get out of this league becomes pretty tricky to say the least.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But that's just it.
Are the revised loss limits at numbers that TB is happy to keep spending to? It's an awful lot of cash to gamble away year after year. If he doesn't mind then yes, we will be competitive.
If TB doesn't have or wish to spend those sort of figures then our ambition to get out of this league becomes pretty tricky to say the least.
Indeed. If I had to read between the lines I'd say TB knows he has to spend more in order to reach the Prem and so, reluctantly, he is prepared to do so. I can't think of any other reason why we didn't vote with Charlton given the way the club has so relentlessly pushed the 'FFP' line.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But that's just it.

Have a look at my OP again. While PB declined to answer the specific question "Will TB be prepared to fund the club to the tune of a £13m loss next season", he did say that TB "has the opportunity" to do so, and said that the club's ambition remains to get promoted and that we will continue to have a competitive squad. Also, the club voted in favour of the rule change; TB will obviously have known that other clubs will spend up to (and some, beyond) the new, higher limit. On the other hand, he also said that the club would have preferred the allowable loss not to have gone up so much.

If I combine all these statements, my total guess would be that TB is/was prepared to fund the club to a higher level than the previously agreed £5m for next season, but perhaps not to the full £13m. In order to remain "competitive" with clubs losing £13m, perhaps £10-11m is what he was hoping for? Of course, TB may, in the end, decide to go the whole hog - after all, what's £2-3m pa extra on top of £10m (yes, that last clause was tongue in cheek).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At a guess this 'hobby' costs me 1-2 grand a year. On this basis, the same hobby is costing TB potentially 10-20m a year. In relative terms he's probably not spending much more than I am..........

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So for all this FFP stuff and handwringing, In the 41 years I have been watching brighton, I can remember, mainstone going bust and am struggling to think who else.

People keep giving it the armaggeddon scenario with all the clubs apart from teh premiership big boys going under but it never happens...ok some go into administration, but they are still here...Pompey, Leeds, leicester, Palace, Wolves ( ?) so whilst there are rich peoople around, die hard fans and stupid sponsorship and TV money around it will be ok. there is no evidence to say that any of these doomsday scenarios are any where near where we are at the moment.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hang on, hang on, there is no way I'm having this on here, why oh bloody why would someone come on and write a common sense, useful, interesting and club related post, giving fans an interesting and helpful perspective of the club from someone who has clearly spoken to a named source at the club, and that being the Chairman. Outrageous, I'm more interested in how people wipe their @rses, have for their lunch or what striker, we have no hope of buying, has been seen within 500 miles of Sussex. BTW Salmon & Cream Cheese Bagel, Plain Crisps & a water.

Good post, thank you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am told that Burnley have a clause in their players agreement that wages go back to the previous level if relegated. Why cant the Premier League and Football League insist on that clause in all contracts then there would be no need for parachute payments at all.
That wouldn't apply to new players that Burnley acquire. It also won't apply to all those Premier League clubs that haven't recently been promoted. And when clubs are promoted, players may be tempted to another club if their contract isn't improved. So I can't see how it could work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here