Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber on The Sports Entrepreneur podcast

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Listen here, also some show notes if you just want a quick read...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Ok I stayed up and listened to that. None of that is new to us, but every time you hear PBOBE you can’t help but be impressed and feel even more thankful for TB. I‘m going to bed now, hopefully there will a press conference with RDZ tomorrow/later, I have missed the tuffty haired Italian.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Quite mad how long he’s been here as well now - great tenure for a CEO

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great listen, I wasn’t aware how broad Paul’s experience was before he joined us.

Him and Tony are the greatest partnerships in British football. Interesting to hear the plans for the women’s team, there’s a lot of ambition

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I wonder how much sniffing Radcliffe and Man United did before they landed on the Man City guy as the new CEO?

He's a smart ambitious man which seems to be "building his brand" right now. I wonder if he is idly pondering the next step up or if he's just enjoying working with Tony? There aren't many (any) owners like TB but there are ones with deeper pockets.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
PBOBE attributes so much to TB in these interviews but to take nothing away from TB, it is clear our Club’s successful management and business strategy, which is now admired throughout the game is down to this man and we would not have come so far without his input imo.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder how much sniffing Radcliffe and Man United did before they landed on the Man City guy as the new CEO?

He's a smart ambitious man which seems to be "building his brand" right now. I wonder if he is idly pondering the next step up or if he's just enjoying working with Tony? There aren't many (any) owners like TB but there are ones with deeper pockets.
The deputy chairman aspect of his role is quite big though. He’d not get that at any of the top 4 / 6 I doubt

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm not entirely sure anyone dedicates over a decade of hard work only to jump ship the moment the payoff arrives.

el punal

Christ he’s getting about at the moment! Hasn’t seen much of him in the media of late and then 3 different radio shows/podcasts in about the space of 2 days.
Well he’s certainly putting us on the map, so to speak. He comes across as eloquent, informative and a great ambassador for the club. It’s a shame some people criticise him for lengthy emails when responding to queries but isn’t that 100% better than receiving no reply at all? Okay, I’ll say it, we’re lucky to have him!

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Well he’s certainly putting us on the map, so to speak. He comes across as eloquent, informative and a great ambassador for the club. It’s a shame some people criticise him for lengthy emails when responding to queries but isn’t that 100% better than receiving no reply at all? Okay, I’ll say it, we’re lucky to have him!
Totally agree - it’s the sudden bursts of activity that struck me as mildly curious.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Enjoyed that even though I knew a lot of it. He has had quite a journey himself! Seems to me that it has come together very well. He is as near to being an owner as makes no difference. Tony sounds a dream to work for, interested but not interfering. I have never come across that combination personally and quite envy PBOBE! I’ll say it again, these are the best times of our lives as Brighton supporters.

Reactions: cjd

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Christ he’s getting about at the moment! Hasn’t seen much of him in the media of late and then 3 different radio shows/podcasts in about the space of 2 days.
Could have something to do with him being voted CEO of the year for the country?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't doubt he's ambitious but he is the 2nd highest paid CEO in the Premier league and probably pocketed in excess of 20 million during his time with us, I suspect it would take a very attractive project to turn his head.
Bloom has helped him become incredibly wealthy so I don't think money would be the motivation for him to leave

el punal

Totally agree - it’s the sudden bursts of activity that struck me as mildly curious.
Could it be because the team are on their 16 day winter break and there‘s been no Premier League football over the last two weeks? Perfect time for the media to do all the background stories, maybe.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Reflects on the his relationship with TB because if you look at his CV, this is the longest he's been in any job.
And in most business , in a company of this size a CEO in the same company with a tenure of more than 5 years would probably be a negative thing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here