Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber interview on Seagulls World

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Sami is our 3rd manager in 12 months. Why do people keep carping on about how important it is for the manager to sign HIS players?
He is part of the process and thank goodness for that. A bad run of results at the start of the season and people on here will be calling for his head. What about those players then?
This is about a manager having a near clean sheet to build a team as we are ever likely to see. With the new training ground coming on stream Sami must be living the dream.
It's not all about the manager, it's all about the club. One day the penny may drop but I somehow doubt it.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
He continues to appear to be a top bloke that I will continue to put my trust in but, sometimes just sometimes, I wish the interviewer had a more incisive mind/script. The questions that need to be asked are rarely asked, particularly when one of Mr. Barber's responses demands that such a question be asked.

Still, I remain committed, trusting and faithful... and that's it. If you don't, then that's fine too. I trust my own judgment in retaining my trust.

Who do you think writes the questions?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I failed to pick up on that bit: do elaborate.
He said "I don't know where the NSC bed-wetters get the idea that the manager doesn't
get a say in player recruitment".

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
These comments always perplex me. The moaning that so and so was 3rd choice or last choice or something. Surely EVERYONE on the list is deemed acceptable and if they are substandard then they would not be on the list in the first place! Do people really think if we are looking for a striker we put a list together consisting of one good player and a load of others who we think are crap?
Eh? Obviously any player wanted list would consist of your top target second target etc. Your hardly going to go straight to sixth choice.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I hear what you are saying, but I don't think it is deliberate trouble-making, as I really believe we all want the best for our club.

I just genuinely believe people are ill informed......

I think they choose to be ill-informed. There is no excuse for it - the club is very open about keeping fans informed about the way the club works for those that want to listen that is - 277 views on YouTube suggests that either people are unaware of these videos or are not that bothered about them.

Was another good interview with PB, but nothing in there that we have not heard before about player recruitment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What I really don't get is why Barber believes FFP is so important. Any accountant or financial analyst could drive a bus through it. Barber is happy to go on about budget and The business model but it is no more viable than that of any other club.

The only reason the club has no "debt" is because TB underwrote the building of the stadium with shareholder loans. This is debt by any other name and the cash generation of the business would never have been sufficient to device the interest payments. If TB ever walked we would be in trouble as we would never be able to replace his loans with debt. If this is taken into account Brighton are no closer to complying with FFP than QPR.

So I for one am getting very weary of listening to Barber on this

But the costs of the stadium, and for that matter the training gound, aren't included in the FFP calculations! You say any accountant or financial analyst could drive a bus through it but you don't seem to appreciate how it is calculated!!

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Eh? Obviously any player wanted list would consist of your top target second target etc. Your hardly going to go straight to sixth choice.

But they are on the list of targets because they are all good enough as footballers to be on it. There is any number of reason why they might be lower down the list, playing ability being the most obvious, but they are on it in the first place.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
A bit of spit and shine and all you wannabe lapdogs come running for barber to pat you on the head. Usually ceo's are held accountable by shareholders, but as that is mainly TB all he(Barber) has to do is keep the peasants amused(thats you lot) and the jobs half done. So many of you are happily spoonfed that I am suprised barber isnt already pushing ponzi schemes on the fanbase.

This has nothing to do with FFP. Since Barber has arrived caos has rained. Instead of being interviewed by some club shill he needs to face some real questions.:rant:

If you want him to him to face some real questions, why don't you ask him yourself? He'll answer them. Which you'll then dismiss as spit and shine.

As for 'caos raining' since Barber arrived, I think you'll find that the chaos was actually the totally out of control way that Ken Brown was running the club before him, losing millions of pounds a year in a completely unsustainable way. Barber has steadied the ship and sensibly cut a lot of the completely unnecessary costs of running the club, which can only be good for the long term future.

It's funny how all the pro-Barber people tend to be the ones that can actually string a sentence together properly and take time to put the reasons for their viewpoint across, and most of the antis are either the bedwetters, DK's old clique or the ones who come across like they can barely dress themselves in the morning. I wonder why that could be?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
A strong, proactive move by Barber to get this sort of communiqué out.

The talk is good, now lets see the walk by bringing in some impressive signings,

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
These comments always perplex me. The moaning that so and so was 3rd choice or last choice or something. Surely EVERYONE on the list is deemed acceptable and if they are substandard then they would not be on the list in the first place! Do people really think if we are looking for a striker we put a list together consisting of one good player and a load of others who we think are crap?

I think you've nicely highlighted that quite a few on here just don't have a fecking clue how these things are done, even though it's been made clear several times.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you want him to him to face some real questions, why don't you ask him yourself? He'll answer them. Which you'll then dismiss as spit and shine.

As for 'caos raining' since Barber arrived, I think you'll find that the chaos was actually the totally out of control way that Ken Brown was running the club before him, losing millions of pounds a year in a completely unsustainable way. Barber has steadied the ship and sensibly cut a lot of the completely unnecessary costs of running the club, which can only be good for the long term future.

It's funny how all the pro-Barber people tend to be the ones that can actually string a sentence together properly and take time to put the reasons for their viewpoint across, and most of the antis are either the bedwetters, DK's old clique or the ones who come across like they can barely dress themselves in the morning. I wonder why that could be?

Brilliant post, spot on.

So too about the Brown period. I knew a Director at that time, who wasn't particularly anti-Brown, but who was astonished at how Brown managed to get the post and earn a 6 figure salary. Completely out of his depth. Leading to the over-employment and over-pay at the club once the Amex was opened, all un budgeted. That was chaos. TB and PB have been dealing with all that and more, but it takes time when suppliers and employees have contracts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course, but there are plenty on this site who swear blind that Oscar had no say at all.

Given he never spoke, I am willing to believe he had no say.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What I really don't get is why Barber believes FFP is so important. Any accountant or financial analyst could drive a bus through it. Barber is happy to go on about budget and The business model but it is no more viable than that of any other club.

The only reason the club has no "debt" is because TB underwrote the building of the stadium with shareholder loans. This is debt by any other name and the cash generation of the business would never have been sufficient to device the interest payments. If TB ever walked we would be in trouble as we would never be able to replace his loans with debt. If this is taken into account Brighton are no closer to complying with FFP than QPR.

So I for one am getting very weary of listening to Barber on this
So you're anti Barber and getting very very weary of him explaining the finances, and how he's reducing the debt and burden to Tony.

But

You feel the club would be in trouble if Tony walked, because of the size of debt and burden.

Can you please make your mind up.

FFP is a convenient devise for the club to pin prudent financial management too.
By virtue of the fact Tony isn't stupid, gullible, and realistic about football finances, The Albion under his investment would be doing it's own FFP irrespective of everyone else.

Either that or there would be no Albion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A bit of spit and shine and all you wannabe lapdogs come running for barber to pat you on the head. Usually ceo's are held accountable by shareholders, but as that is mainly TB all he(Barber) has to do is keep the peasants amused(thats you lot) and the jobs half done. So many of you are happily spoonfed that I am suprised barber isnt already pushing ponzi schemes on the fanbase.

This has nothing to do with FFP. Since Barber has arrived caos has rained. Instead of being interviewed by some club shill he needs to face some real questions.:rant:

He didn't say "chaos" he said caos. It's old Sussex dialect for "finishing in the playoffs whilst reducing the club's debts."

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Well said Commander. I don't always agree with you, but this post just about hits the nail on the head.

Paul Barber is doing a fantastic job, and exactly according to the brief given him by Tony. He is managing our club's costs down, whilst building our revenues, which is no small achievement.

I am one person (and I know of others) who have emailed him with an issue, and he has taken the time to respond in a courteous and professional manner, providing sound explanation and justification for the club's decision.

Also, I am glad he has reiterated (yes, it is a repeat) just how player recruitment works at the Albion, emphasising the prime importance of the Head Coach/Manager in the process. I really hope this time that the posters who seem to believe the Manager has no say in player acquisitions take on board what PB has explained so well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The club deemed brezovan and ankergren good enough, they signed him, gave him an extension when we got to the championship, so why did we bother signing kuszczak? Because he is better.

A manager needs the best players if we expect the best out of him. If we're not getting the best players for him, if we're getting the second, third, fourth, fifth or sixth best player for him, his job will be harder. Instead of having a player who will lift the team to a greater level, he has a player that fits in and is just about good enough bulk out the squad as cover for a match or two - not to be relied on to play a lot of games, but for a game or two can just about do a job.

With management it can be the difference between someone who is in with a great chance of getting you automatic promotion and someone who is a bit of a punt, might get you up, but also could see you struggle.

Then there is the aspect of morale, club loyalty etc. a player/manager.

The first choice knows he is wanted, he is respected by others at the club because this is who we want, he is that good he topped our list. That sense of feeling wanted can inspire a better performance, it can make them more interested in staying when there is interest from another club. Second, third, fourth choices will get a sense they are only there because others turned that club down, other people at that club will view them as second choice and the will be a reluctance to embrace them in the same way as a first choice. Someone who feels unloved will not be as inclined to play their hearts out for the club, they might lack confidence, and the moment another club shows interest in them their head is turned.

That, for me, is why getting first choice is better than getting someone else who is on the list.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

This. Have a :thumbsup:

But the costs of the stadium, and for that matter the training gound, aren't included in the FFP calculations! You say any accountant or financial analyst could drive a bus through it but you don't seem to appreciate how it is calculated!!

You're correct about the Stadium/Lancing build costs, not least because the football club/BHA FC Ltd/the Football League member doesn't own these anyway. However, I think the annual rent that the club pays to CSL (ie £1m currently) will be included.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here