Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
IMG_0042.JPG
Paul Barber briefing Bozza earlier this morning

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's illegal to sell or give a ticket for a football match to anyone else. That will stand up legally.

??

From Brighton & Hove Albion's T&C's

"In the event that you and/or your Guest are unable to use any Home Match Ticket then you may transfer that Home Match Ticket(s) to a natural person who is known to you personally who would be entitled (under the Terms & Conditions of Entry) to purchase such Home Match Ticket and attend such Match PROVIDED THAT such transfer takes place in consideration of no payment or benefit in excess of the face value of the Home Match Ticket, .."

been posted twice on this thread already

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
??

From Brighton & Hove Albion's T&C's

"In the event that you and/or your Guest are unable to use any Home Match Ticket then you may transfer that Home Match Ticket(s) to a natural person who is known to you personally who would be entitled (under the Terms & Conditions of Entry) to purchase such Home Match Ticket and attend such Match PROVIDED THAT such transfer takes place in consideration of no payment or benefit in excess of the face value of the Home Match Ticket, .."

been posted twice on this thread already

I know. It's still illegal. We've done this about a zillion times before. The club allow some flexibility under the spirit of the law.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
So the club should put a stop to buying tickets for friends and family, as they cannot be sure the purchaser is actually going to give the tickets to the names submitted?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Your post typifies the "Outraged of Sussex" response to this: assuming the worst. In fact, almost appearing to wish for the worst in order that they can turn up their outrage dial even further.

You're making a massive assumption that the club would be looking to employ some meatheads to undertake spot checks, should they ever happen.

My assumption is that it will be Albion ticket office staff working a bit of overtime.
Thanks for the patronising reply! And perhaps it could equally be argued that yours typifies the sleepwalking towards, possibly a bit too close to the club response that many might expect? Regardless, their wouldnt be any need to get 'outraged' if the proverbial sledgehammer hadn't been wielded.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As usual, much of this thread is an over reaction to something that will rarely happen. There might be spot checks at the odd high profile game but I am pretty sure they won't be very often as I imagine they are hoping the threat will be enough. It hardly warrants so much outrage at the club. They probably didn't need to be so heavy handed but I don't know what's happened to push them into (and nor do most people on here). They mention some games but presumably it wasn't just the ticketing issue that happened but also some people didn't behave. Maybe look at them rather than the club as the problem.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
As usual, much of this thread is an over reaction to something that will rarely happen. There might be spot checks at the odd high profile game but I am pretty sure they won't be very often as I imagine they are hoping the threat will be enough. It hardly warrants so much outrage at the club. They probably didn't need to be so heavy handed but I don't know what's happened to push them into (and nor do most people on here). They mention some games but presumably it wasn't just the ticketing issue that happened but also some people didn't behave. Maybe look at them rather than the club as the problem.

Probably because people on FB etc have been posting..... Does anyone have enough points to get a ticket for xxx match and is not planning on going?.....

I have seen that this season! Someone must have either seen it or complained!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Exactly that - I wouldn't be showing ID on the basis that they have no lawful power to demand it. Nothing to do with anything else. Erosion of civil liberty on the basis that some people might pass tickets onto others is ridiculous. If a police officer with the appropriate powers wants to come and ask me then fine. Someone carrying a clipboard from the club has no chance.

Nobody will force you to show ID as they have no legal right to demand it. However, if you don't, then you can't go in the ground. People show IDs at pubs and other venues all the time. It is a fact of life. Talk of erosion of civil liberties is massively excessive. We live in a society where cameras watch us most of the time in public and people are worried about having to show their driving licence to someone at a football match. Is that really where your civil liberties are being eroded.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Probably because people on FB etc have been posting..... Does anyone have enough points to get a ticket for xxx match and is not planning on going?.....

I have seen that this season! Someone must have either seen it or complained!

Maybe. People who ask so openly are asking for trouble.

I have enough points to pretty much guarantee entry to any game. However, I can understand why someone who goes to all home and a lot of away games would be annoyed if someone with more points than them can't go to an away game and gives their ticket to somebody who hardly ever goes (meaning the person with more loyalty points misses out).

The point that I think is fair is the club need to make it easier to return tickets if you can't make it. If they are serious about cracking down on this, there needs to be an easy way to return your ticket if you can't make a game so the club can sell it on.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Your post typifies the "Outraged of Sussex" response to this: assuming the worst. In fact, almost appearing to wish for the worst in order that they can turn up their outrage dial even further.

You're making a massive assumption that the club would be looking to employ some meatheads to undertake spot checks, should they ever happen.

My assumption is that it will be Albion ticket office staff working a bit of overtime.
PS its absolutely laughable that you believe there aren't officials at Amex or Other grounds who might not, lets just say, be best suited to doorkeeping duties. I've seen hundreds of examples and heard and read instances of even more on NSC alone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I know. It's still illegal. We've done this about a zillion times before. The club allow some flexibility under the spirit of the law.

I don't think its up to the club to allow flexibility with the law, but whatevs. I'm sure this clause will disappear in time. As you know, it is that flexibility under the spirit of the law which is being attacked in this latest missive.

Fwiw, I agree that the issue of touting in the prem will need to be dealt with, but there are many like me who have relied on getting the odd ticket now and again as our opportunities to see the Albion are so limited. I hate the fact that Loyalty to Brighton is something that is on a sliding scale. I am 100% loyal to the Albion and have been for thirty years, so are you, so is everyone else here. But we all have different numbers of Loyalty Points. Fine, I don't mind the way they prioritise selling tickets, there has to be some way and this is as good as any. But if I'm fortunate enough to get given a ticket by a kindly soul on NSC to one away game a season it would suck ass to be barred entry. The person who would have got the ticket if sold the normal route already gets to go to 20-odd games at the wonderful Amex the lucky sods, I only want to go once. They might have more loyalty points than me but I bet they wouldn't sing as loud as me. :p

Anyway, I've still got three tickets available for the Blackburn game so get them whilst its still allowable under the spirit of the law :thumbsup:

You know, a different way to deal with this issue would be to allow us to return the tickets to the club shop. If demand is that high they'll be re-sold in seconds.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Maybe. People who ask so openly are asking for trouble.

I have enough points to pretty much guarantee entry to any game. However, I can understand why someone who goes to all home and a lot of away games would be annoyed if someone with more points than them can't go to an away game and gives their ticket to somebody who hardly ever goes (meaning the person with more loyalty points misses out).

The point that I think is fair is the club need to make it easier to return tickets if you can't make it. If they are serious about cracking down on this, there needs to be an easy way to return your ticket if you can't make a game so the club can sell it on.

I know of at least 2 people who got a ticket for Middlesbrough away last year and had never been to a game that season! I saw them in the ground and was surprised that they had tickets!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nobody will force you to show ID as they have no legal right to demand it. However, if you don't, then you can't go in the ground. People show IDs at pubs and other venues all the time. It is a fact of life. Talk of erosion of civil liberties is massively excessive. We live in a society where cameras watch us most of the time in public and people are worried about having to show their driving licence to someone at a football match. Is that really where your civil liberties are being eroded.
Your argument being we're watched 20hrs a day because of the gradual erosion of liberties so might as well do away with them altogether. What a wonderful advocate for freedom and democracy you are!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
PS its absolutely laughable that you believe there aren't officials at Amex or Other grounds who might not, lets just say, be best suited to doorkeeping duties. I've seen hundreds of examples and heard and read instances of even more on NSC alone.

And of course, the truth is always posted on Nsc.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Your argument being we're watched 20hrs a day because of the gradual erosion of liberties so might as well do away with them altogether. What a wonderful advocate for freedom and democracy you are!

Well done for completely ignoring my point. As you missed it, my point clearly was that it is the least of our worries and not worth the usual over reaction by some on here.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
And of course, the truth is always posted on Nsc.
Afternoon Troll. I knew some knobhead would say that. Congratulations. You win my contempt. But no, not always. But yes, quite often. Which one suits your rose-tints better?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well done for completely ignoring my point. As you missed it, my point clearly was that it is the least of our worries and not worth the usual over reaction by some on here.
Did you or did not write about cctv cameras watching us all the time...talk of civil liberties eroded massively excessive etc?!!!! You might want to go back and change your earlier post now you're patronising me for 'missing' it!! LOL!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whilst it is O/T for the first time I saw some touts outside the Amex at the Newcastle game. They were going up and down the food and drink queues outside asking if anyone had spare tickets. Never seen any around before. Probably something to get used to if we go up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Or I and many others don't share your views on civil liberties but thanks, you rage away with your insults. I would genuienly love for you to lose your wallet at an away game to test this theory. And as if you've never taken or passed a ticket on at face value because of a last minute event...On your bike, son.

There's no theory to test. If I had no ID, then I couldn't show it could I? That's another matter entirely.

To refuse to show ID if you had it, on a point of principle, even though it meant completely ruining a long and expensive day out, would in my opinion be a ridiculous and petty reaction. Maybe the feeling of subversive pride you'd bask in, sipping your pint in an empty pub*, whilst all your mates enjoyed the match, would make it all worthwhile?

*Assuming the pub didn't want to see ID to purchase your drink of course - you'd have to walk straight out of there, too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here