[Albion] Paul Barber "embarrassed" by our support

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You REALLY don't like the man, do you? Or modern football fans? Also, what precisely is a genuine football fan?
I don’t know the man to make a judgment do I agree with some of the policies not at all. I didn’t mention anything about what is a genuine fan ??? Do I enjoy modern football not really it’s far to plastic for my liking.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This isn't anti social behaviour or fans having a can at 9am in the morning on the train to Liverpool or Burnley. I think he's just saying if you break the law inside the stadium or behave in such a way that warrants exclusion from the stadium and a ban - then even if you are a fan , we don't want you. .
I mean - what do you expect him to say ?. Who on here thinks fans that fight other Albion fans inside the Amex are the sort of supporters we want ?

The first part of the first sentence I don't agree with. Fighting other fans, of your own club or the visitors, absolutely is anti-social behaviour, and I agree totally that he should clamp down on it and should say he's clamping down on it.

I think you've phrased the bolded bit better than he did in the programme notes. I don't have any issue with that at all. But this "purporting to support the club". It's a clear red flag, the same way Naylor used to dig out Brighton supporters when he got bored.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Someone who is happy to charge a ticket swap tax, fully support the PPV during Covid Is a man who does not understand the working class culture of genuine football fans who are still to this day the back bone of most clubs up and down the country.

Barbers priority is keeping the toffs happy unfortunately the Tarquins and Hugo’s ain’t gonna be there if it all goes to shit and we do a Sunderland. The old saying don’t alienate all those who supported you on the way up because you sure as hell will need them on the way down does not seem to be in the mans remit.

Ha ! Are the thousands and thousands of fans in the 1901 club - which has just sold out again for another 5 years - all called Tarquin and Hugo and not "genuine football fans" and all "toffs" and PB's priority ? I'm sure there's plenty sitting in there who would be insulted at this description. Or Are the 24 thousand fans - more than at any point in our history - who have a season ticket , 9 out of 10 of em renewed it again from last year despite everything, and pay £6/700+ for it every year and spend more on match days - also not good enough to meet your definition of a fan. Are they really all willing to be "alienated" by PB at every opportunity, not "genuine" fans yet keep turning up every season.?. Come off it.

Again - some irritations with some fairly minor rules, the odd quote in a programme (that most people will not have read or even care about) translates into what some push on here regularly , especially if PB has said something, as widespread and universal disappointment with the club and its just nonsense. The club is well run, looks after its fans, listens to them most of the time and is run by football fans unlike most other clubs.
And if Barber wants to ban fans for fighting each other or being racist or homophobic etc and says its disappointing. Then i'd expect nothing less from a football club boss whether that was Dick Knight, Paul Barber, Mike Bamber or Tony Bloom.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
You REALLY don't like the man, do you? Or modern football fans? Also, what precisely is a genuine football fan?

Just because somebody disagrees with PB does not mean they dont like him. CEO job is to get max income with lowest cost and am sure with this does a great job.Many people feel new system in place to extract more money from supporters and if it stays the same it will only be at renewal time when it will be seen how strongly people feel about it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A poor excuse. A working class fan would battle on in at all and every time. I used to go with a fellow called Horse who was little more than a fist and tongue. He used to get in for free, of course, before wet Barber insisted on hardcore inspection and Horse, flapping and heaving around in my pocket, was found and banned. From that time on he had to feign to be the features of a novelty hat i wore, but after a few licks of sambucca he'd begin to sway and blabber out equine noises through his fingerlips. Security would be all over him as he spat and tried to lay any one of them out, and popped him in a shoebox for the length of the match, with a little plate of tea and butter to keep him damp and have his raging temper sated. We lost him forever when a riled steward at Brentford shoved him into a sour cream Pringles tube and he dried up like salted slug. There were lick-marks inside the tube: H-O-R-S-E G-O N-O-W.
I miss him, that slobbering, macho set of b*stard knuckles.

He is back!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I don’t know the man to make a judgment do I agree with some of the policies not at all. I didn’t mention anything about what is a genuine fan ??? Do I enjoy modern football not really it’s far to plastic for my liking.

I must have imagined this from your earlier post then...

the working class culture of genuine football fans who are still to this day the back bone of most clubs up and down the country.

And this classic...

Barbers priority is keeping the toffs happy unfortunately the Tarquins and Hugo’s ain’t gonna be there if it all goes to shit and we do a Sunderland

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i met PB outside the AMEX after our 2-1 win against the ARSE the season before last , he's tiny , he wouldn't fight with a midget , thats his prerogative , he isn't a duncan ferguson or a vine jones or a roy keane ....he's a little business type man , and that is where we are heading.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i met PB outside the AMEX after our 2-1 win against the ARSE the season before last , he's tiny , he wouldn't fight with a midget , thats his prerogative , he isn't a duncan ferguson or a vine jones or a roy keane ....he's a little business type man , and that is where we are heading.

That is why Vinnie Jones is an actor, Roy Keane is a pundit, Duncan Ferguson is a coach. None are businessmen nor would you trust any of them with a £120M+ a year business. Tony Bloom himself is far from a 'typical' football fan ???

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That is why Vinnie Jones is an actor, Roy Keane is a pundit, Duncan Ferguson is a coach. None are businessmen nor would you trust any of them with a £120M+ a year business. Tony Bloom himself is far from a 'typical' football fan ???

well that is what i was saying , if TB and PB were to be a tag team in WWE it would be a disaster but running a football venue for well behaved spuds...they're tops mate...:thumbsup::kiss: with nice but expensive grubb i may add.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Every Mr Nice like Tony Bloom needs a Mr Nasty like Paul Barber. Blueprint was/is grinning hippy capitalist Richard Branson. The guy was never going to personally order his hosties to wear a precise shade of lippy. But he had well-paid henchmen in place to take the flak to ensure that his signed-off orders were carried out to the letter

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Just out of interest do you miss the Formula 1 of the 70s and 80s aswell, when it was much more dangerous plus the glamour girls? Things move on. I'm nostalgic about the surges of the North Stand and the "danger" of the aways of my youth but would I want it back? Probably not.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ha ! Are the thousands and thousands of fans in the 1901 club - which has just sold out again for another 5 years - all called Tarquin and Hugo and not "genuine football fans" and all "toffs" and PB's priority ? I'm sure there's plenty sitting in there who would be insulted at this description. Or Are the 24 thousand fans - more than at any point in our history - who have a season ticket , 9 out of 10 of em renewed it again from last year despite everything, and pay £6/700+ for it every year and spend more on match days - also not good enough to meet your definition of a fan. Are they really all willing to be "alienated" by PB at every opportunity, not "genuine" fans yet keep turning up every season.?. Come off it.

Again - some irritations with some fairly minor rules, the odd quote in a programme (that most people will not have read or even care about) translates into what some push on here regularly , especially if PB has said something, as widespread and universal disappointment with the club and its just nonsense. The club is well run, looks after its fans, listens to them most of the time and is run by football fans unlike most other clubs.
And if Barber wants to ban fans for fighting each other or being racist or homophobic etc and says its disappointing. Then i'd expect nothing less from a football club boss whether that was Dick Knight, Paul Barber, Mike Bamber or Tony Bloom.
New Stadiums attract new people they aren’t hardcore support we did have between 7-10k of them hopefully that number has grown who knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports