Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Patrick Bamford cancels Palace loan...

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If they are contracted to a seasons loan can the the player make the decision to just up sticks and just return to the host club?
What's the point of the "contract" if this the case.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lots more about it here: http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/...arly-Crystal/story-28432131-detail/story.html

In essence, frustrated at lack of game time which he feels he needs to carry on his development after his outstanding season with Boro last time round:

"It's just difficult when you're not playing and you come in for five minutes here and there, 20 minutes here and there, or don't play for a couple of weeks.

"You don't really get a run, and for a striker it's really important to get that run of games. I think if people have seen me play at other levels, I have never been out of the team for longer than one game.

"That's kind of showed with the goals as well."

Finally, it seems Parish doesn't agree with the Palace fans who have posted on this thread: "It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him, he's got a lot of quality."

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Finally, it seems Parish doesn't agree with the Palace fans who have posted on this thread: "It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him, he's got a lot of quality."

He could hardly say " thank f**k he is going, absolute waste of space", could he?

Dec 29, 2011
Lots more about it here: http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/...arly-Crystal/story-28432131-detail/story.html

In essence, frustrated at lack of game time which he feels he needs to carry on his development after his outstanding season with Boro last time round:

"It's just difficult when you're not playing and you come in for five minutes here and there, 20 minutes here and there, or don't play for a couple of weeks.

"You don't really get a run, and for a striker it's really important to get that run of games. I think if people have seen me play at other levels, I have never been out of the team for longer than one game.

"That's kind of showed with the goals as well."

Mental toughness and buckling down to train when things don't go your way are what make a top class player. Someone with an attitude that they're owed game time won't make it in most cases (in my opinion). Surely he should be aiming to train hard to get in Palace's squad, they are in 5th after all it's hardly like they've left him out for worse players.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mental toughness and buckling down to train when things don't go your way are what make a top class player. Someone with an attitude that they're owed game time won't make it in most cases (in my opinion). Surely he should be aiming to train hard to get in Palace's squad, they are in 5th after all it's hardly like they've left him out for worse players.

I know little about his personal circumstances. I'll be honest - i watch little amounts of Premier League football - I don't have Sky so usually only catch up with MotD2 on a Sunday night. If you'd asked me before today where Bamford was playing, I wouldn't have been able to tell you.

That said, I didn't interpret his comments in the article I linked to as him just giving up - more that he feels that he needs game time to continue his development, he's not getting it (and he speaks about how well Palace are doing) so is returning to Chelsea to seek out more pitch minutes (not with Chelsea, presumably, but by going elsewhere in early January).

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would have Bamford like a shot.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What was rather amusing today was that Pardew was in the press room talking about discussing Bamford's future with Chelsea at almost the exact same time that Bamford was telling the Daily Mirror (from whom the BBC got the quotes) and the Croydon Advertiser that he'd had it with Palace and was off back to Chelsea. Internal communications evidently not a strong point at Beckenham Barcelona.

About the only entertaining thing that happened on the field was the referee pacing out ten yards from a Palace free kick only to find that the Swansea defender was already 11 yards back, then drawing his white line a yard in front of him so he could move forward.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"It was my decision. The gaffer hasn't actually spoken to me."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35191686

That to me shows a lack of respect for the manager who has got Palace up to 5th, but also naive career-wise. Some in the media are talking of Pardew as a possible successor to Roy Hodgson - it would therefore be ironic if Bamford becomes a Prem hotshot but doesn't get picked by the manager he snubbed.

He won't get the run of games at Chelsea that he says he needs. This has Villa written all over it.

Dec 29, 2011
That said, I didn't interpret his comments in the article I linked to as him just giving up - more that he feels that he needs game time to continue his development, he's not getting it (and he speaks about how well Palace are doing) so is returning to Chelsea to seek out more pitch minutes (not with Chelsea, presumably, but by going elsewhere in early January).

Yes, or it could be interpreted as that, but it's stinks to me of "too big to sit on the bench". He's at a Premier League team where he can play with some quality players, have some excellent coaching and also get a little bit of game time here and there against top class opposition. If he had his head screwed on I think he would have realised it would be better to see out the next six months of his loan, get the experience, return to Chelsea in the summer and say he will only go to a club where he plays the majority of games. As it stands, he's made himself look like a bit of a tit, and also been disrespectful to his (host) club by making them also look clueless.

Does he expect he'll play every minute of every game for all his future clubs? If he thinks he has a future at Chelsea he must be delusional if he thinks he won't spend the majority of the time on the bench at a club that has ambitions to win the Champions League. It'll be interesting to see what he does now. If he does indeed drop to the Championship for the next season and a half, it could either be seen as 'accepting a drop in quality to get lots of game time', or it could be interpreted as wanting to be a big fish in a small pond, rather than being another average Joe in the Premier League.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
While he may be naïve and perhaps hasn't gone about this in the right way, you can understand his frustration.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained for player or parent club going on loan to another club who aren't playing you regularly. That is the whole point. You go from somewhere where you wouldn't get a game, to somewhere where you would.

And for Chelsea they see Bamford play and develop. Really Pardew/Palace should have suggested themselves it wasn't working out and let him go somewhere else, but since they didn't, he has done it himself.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
While he may be naïve and perhaps hasn't gone about this in the right way, you can understand his frustration.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained for player or parent club going on loan to another club who aren't playing you regularly. That is the whole point. You go from somewhere where you wouldn't get a game, to somewhere where you would.

And for Chelsea they see Bamford play and develop. Really Pardew/Palace should have suggested themselves it wasn't working out and let him go somewhere else, but since they didn't, he has done it himself.

Quite. I find it refreshing that a young player wants to move on to develop - too many of them would be quite happy to earn their enormous salaries sitting on their backsides. Plus it's a snub to Palace, which is always good.

fridge

Dec 19, 2015
Boro fan here, Bamford was superb for us last season after a slow start and starting in the wrong position for the first half of the season.HE is a quality player and I have no doubts about him being able to play in the premiership , he needs the right club and the opportunities on the pitch.

Any club that could secure his services for the second half of the season would have a diamond in the making, I hope daddy comes back to us but I fear he may still have an eye on a prem team, in any eventually I think he will do well...at some clubs it just doesn't work out for one reason or another and that's what's happens to him.

To give an idea of the lads quality he scored in almost every other game for us after a slow start , playing out wide on numerous occasions and being injured for the last month of the season....I would take Bamford as our no. 1 striker into the premiership if we got promoted.... given the chance.

Hope it's us derby and you at the end of the season....good luck guys.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Quite. I find it refreshing that a young player wants to move on to develop - too many of them would be quite happy to earn their enormous salaries sitting on their backsides. Plus it's a snub to Palace, which is always good.
It didn't work out with him and he's probably done us a favour tbh . A few months ago he mentioned in a interview that he had inserted a clause in the years loan deal which allowed him to cancel it mid term , so this hasn't surprised me . He has done well in the championship but the few times I've seen him , including cup games , he has looked very lightweight and not suited to the lone role up front which we normally play . The only positive thing about him is his Hair , it's wonderful and has really bought the boufont look to the fore .

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Boro fan here, Bamford was superb for us last season after a slow start and starting in the wrong position for the first half of the season.HE is a quality player and I have no doubts about him being able to play in the premiership , he needs the right club and the opportunities on the pitch.

Any club that could secure his services for the second half of the season would have a diamond in the making, I hope daddy comes back to us but I fear he may still have an eye on a prem team, in any eventually I think he will do well...at some clubs it just doesn't work out for one reason or another and that's what's happens to him.

To give an idea of the lads quality he scored in almost every other game for us after a slow start , playing out wide on numerous occasions and being injured for the last month of the season....I would take Bamford as our no. 1 striker into the premiership if we got promoted.... given the chance.

Hope it's us derby and you at the end of the season....good luck guys.

I think he will go to you . He seems like a good fit for you guys .

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Imagine if that was Wilson not playing - would we be happy if he was happy sitting on the bench? I certainly wouldn't be. Fair play to the lad as he clearly just wants to play football.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
So if Banford can do it, does that mean any loan player can decided to leave when they get bored, ie Wilson ???

fridge

Dec 19, 2015
So if Banford can do it, does that mean any loan player can decided to leave when they get bored, ie Wilson ???

Bamford had a get out clause in his loan contract with Crystal palace, he was only contracted until January with an option for the second half of the season if both parties agreed, he has just activated his get out clause.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here