Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Passports-Another Great British Rip Off

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Nibble said:
Cheers. when you put it like that it seems so cheap. Only 508.5%!:lolol:

Why doesn't the money we receive ever go up at that rate?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Grendel said:
On what do you base that statement? I'm yet to see a representative poll with a statistically meaningful sample size suggesting that the majority of the population of the U.K. opposes ID cards.

I've yet to see a representitive poll showing any support for them either. I have seen 10,000 people agree to refuse to take cards under any circumstances and a massive organisation who are against them - and nothing on the pro side; however.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
MYOB said:
I've yet to see a representitive poll showing any support for them either. I have seen 10,000 people agree to refuse to take cards under any circumstances and a massive organisation who are against them - and nothing on the pro side; however.

And how do you quantify massive? 10,000 in terms of the population as a whole is absolutely nothing - in fact it's less than half of the population of the town I live in. On the 10 Downing Street e-petitions website, almost twice as many people have signed a petition calling for continued funding of the Red Arrows Aerial Display Team than signed one opposing ID cards.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They're getting of the Red Arrows!?! :angry:

Where do I sign?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
New US Passport ~50 quid. Renewal ~35 quid. For service in less than 6 weeks, double those amounts.

Did the whole family last month (two under 18 new issue, one adult new issue, one adult renewal) for approximately $300.

The new ones are the RFID chip-containing models.

Someone in HMG is making a killing on them, it looks like.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Grendel said:
And how do you quantify massive? 10,000 in terms of the population as a whole is absolutely nothing - in fact it's less than half of the population of the town I live in. On the 10 Downing Street e-petitions website, almost twice as many people have signed a petition calling for continued funding of the Red Arrows Aerial Display Team than signed one opposing ID cards.

I didn't say 10,000 had signed a petition, I said 10,000 had agreed to be willing to accept arrest or whatever Herr Blair decides to put on those who refuse to accept ID cards.

Anyone who claims theres "support" for ID cards is mistaking "complete and utter apathy" for "support". When Joe Sun Reader starts getting asked to pay for an ID card, and starts getting oppressed by the police for not carrying one (c.f. every eastern european country), they'll be opposed to them. At the moment, they probably don't know the idea exists.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Bry Nylon said:
They're getting of the Red Arrows!?! :angry:

Where do I sign?

Forget the ID card rubbish. This is the real travesty!!! Wheres that petition?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
MYOB said:
I didn't say 10,000 had signed a petition, I said 10,000 had agreed to be willing to accept arrest or whatever Herr Blair decides to put on those who refuse to accept ID cards.

I understood that perfectly well, thank you. I don't think I suggested anywhere that 10,000 people signed a petition - about 28,000 did (from memory), which happens to be rather less than signed one for the Red Arrows.

Anyone who claims theres "support" for ID cards is mistaking "complete and utter apathy" for "support".

And you appear to be mistaking "furry-toothed sociopaths" for "opposition".

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Grendel said:
And you appear to be mistaking "furry-toothed sociopaths" for "opposition".

I think you need to realise that its generally the most boring and uninteresting people who don't care about ID cards/national databasing. Generally because they've got absolutely nothing of interest they don't want known, nor are they ever going to have. They don't really mind if the local PC Plod is able to find out they broke a finger playing tiddlywinks in 1977 from the same system he's recording the theft of their favourite garden gnome in.

Oddly enough, they're usually called "Norman", live with their mothers until their in their 40s, and have no friends. Oddly enough, that happens to sound very like a "sociopath" to me.

I take it you're in favour of tracking everyone, then?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
MYOB said:
I think you need to realise that its generally the most boring and uninteresting people who don't care about ID cards/national databasing. Generally because they've got absolutely nothing of interest they don't want known, nor are they ever going to have.

This also happens to be the majority of the population of the U.K.

I take it you're in favour of tracking everyone, then?

Not at all, I just can't get worked up about something that, at the present time, is pretty much theoretical. If/when details of the whole scheme are finalised, I may well find something to object about, but until such a time, I won't lose sleep over it.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Generally by the time the details are finalised, that word becomes rather important. Finalised. If the project gets to fruition, you'll be stuck with it - too late to object, too late to prevent it.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
MYOB said:
Generally by the time the details are finalised, that word becomes rather important. Finalised. If the project gets to fruition, you'll be stuck with it - too late to object, too late to prevent it.

At which point, the Revolutionary Party of the Pissheads shall march on Whitehall with their pitchforks. Sorry, whilst I understand and to a certain extent sympathise with your concern over the issue, I really have got far more pressing matters to worry about at the moment.

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
My passport is due for renewal soon so I spoke to the embassy in Buenos Aires.

£91 they want! And it's actually more because you can only pay in Argentine pesos and THEY set the exchange rate at about 5% worse than the banks!!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
In Hong Kong you have to have an ID card which costs precisely nothing and has your thumb print and photo id .. Great when you travel in and out of the airport as its all automated . Card goes in machine and you are asked to place thumb on reader ., you are then scanned in or outof country with minimal queues.

If the Govt in UK wants Id cards it should be out of Uk budget

As for the passport charges , just another example of this shite Govts stealth taxes .. Unfortunately if the Tories get in think they may have been tarred with the Labour brush re stealth. Hopefully not !!

I'm applying for a new one from down here. Th embassy sting you $8 for one phone call if you have any queries about the prcoess?! The they will charge you for sending the application back if you have filled it out wrong?!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
tedebear said:
Stop complaining :p It costs me about £360 to apply for leave to remain and then about another £180 next Feb. to get permanent residency!!

Thats good tho, because it must cost LOADS to weed out all bogus applications etc etc (not yours obviously !)

New Labour = Rip Off Britain

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Rougvie said:
Thats good tho, because it must cost LOADS to weed out all bogus applications etc etc (not yours obviously !)

New Labour = Rip Off Britain

Well previously (2 years ago) it was free. So at that amount I guess it stops all the stupid "have a go" applications that they must have had to process...

Although having said that - the people I've dealt with at the Home Office are paper pushers of the highest order, and often short and rude, with a darn stupid computer system - so maybe the money is going to upgrade that - I sincerely hope so!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Regharding the ID cards, on a day to day basis what are we actually supposed to be using them for that a drivers lisence or passport cant do already? Another little earner for government perchance?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here