Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pascal Groß - what do we think?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
it hasn't been an eye catching start by any means, but he will come good in a box to box rather than creative role.
Of more concern is propper . I'm not sure his style is suited to the premier league.

After Man City and Leicester I would have agreed with you.

However at Watford on Saturday Propper started to show what he is all about.

He'll prove to be a great signing.

I'm still not convinced by Dale Stephens in that CM position. He has a frustrating tendency to slow every thing down and only seems to pass backwards or sideways. Firmly of the opinion that any half decent CM can do what he does. Offers nothing going forward and the amount of silly free kicks he gives will hurt us soon. Need an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
it hasn't been an eye catching start by any means, but he will come good in a box to box rather than creative role.
Of more concern is propper . I'm not sure his style is suited to the premier league.

As I keep saying, let's give them all time to bed in. It's far far too early to formulate an opinion.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Looked absolutely knackered after about 70minutes Saturday , went down with cramp as well I think. Mind you it was very hot.
Reckon when the team settles down he will be fine.

Feb 23, 2013

I'm still not convinced by Dale Stephens in that CM position. He has a frustrating tendency to slow every thing down and only seems to pass backwards or sideways. Firmly of the opinion that any half decent CM can do what he does. Offers nothing going forward and the amount of silly free kicks he gives will hurt us soon. Need an upgrade.

First piece of football sense written on here for ages

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

I agree about Stephens, hopefully will settle into the premier league, certainly seems off the pace at the moment and the needless free kicks are a worry. The Dalek wanted him though and he dosnt seem to get a lot wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I doubt any of these players would be so 'off' if the Albion were given Huddersfield's fixture list.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We seem to have three right sided midfielders in Dale Stephens, Davy Pröpper, Pascal Groß who are al right-sided and seem to me not very quick by Premier League standards. We have also got Liam Rosenoir and Beram Kayal who are also right sided but both to me seem quicker.

Lets hope they all have football intelligence to make up for what hasn't looked terrifically promising so far.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

First piece of football sense written on here for ages

Really? I was just thinking what absolute bollocks it was.

I dread to think of our midfield without him, we're lacking bite enough as it is, perhaps some people would like to find out like last season. Both of them are growing slowly into this league.

"Nothing going forward" made me laugh, what you mean other than setting up the best chance against city, which if Murphy had a left foot we would have opened the scoring from?

Whose dangerous pass to Knocky was it which invited the red card on Saturday again?

Christ almighty I've heard it all. Propper and Gross in central midfield, that'll go well. Rivals 14/15 for lack of physicality. Beggars belief.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cant agree with the criticism of Dale Stephens on here. I believe that he is finding it hard to adjust to the fact that he gets no time on the ball to do what he wants to do but I am sure he is ware of the urgency needed and will solve the problem and is improving each game.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
He's a playmaker with a great pass and tactical awareness. Like a much much better version of Darren Currie. Not a forward as such. At Ingolstadt he was the main provider/chance creator in a struggling team. If/when we get the right striker in and Izquierdo pressing alongside Knocky/March I think he will come into his own.

Well said.

I'm beginning to think more and more that we need Steve Sidwell in midfield for these early games. He is such a claming influence, and of course has that invaluable Premier League experience. He has been there, seen it, and done it. That way the likes of Davy Propper for instance, can be introduced more gradually, as the team gets used to the new division.

I totally agree. I think we need stability, and Proper isn't giving us that. Sidwelll has played alongside Stephens many times. It works. Add that to Sidwells PL experience, and I think we have a decent chance of winning some of the midfield battles.
But they are only human, and without a decent striker as an outlet, we are going to get pinned down, time and time again. So far Gross has not delivered. I would chose Baldock over him every day if he was fit.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We seem to have three right sided midfielders in Dale Stephens, Davy Pröpper, Pascal Groß who are al right-sided and seem to me not very quick by Premier League standards. We have also got Liam Rosenoir and Beram Kayal who are also right sided but both to me seem quicker.

Lets hope they all have football intelligence to make up for what hasn't looked terrifically promising so far.

PS: And we have got Steve Sidwell who is also right sided and lacking pace nowadays.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed. Stephens is the least of our worries. We know he's a quality player. It's just a case of getting up to speed and realising he needs to do every single thing half a second quicker than he did last season. In fact, it shows it isn't just foreigners who can be taken by surprise when it comes to the Premier League's ferocious pace. I'd rather have players who just need to speed up rather than ones who aren't good enough.

in it.

Whilst Stephens is probably the best/one of the best at championship level, he has IMO, surprisingly struggled so far (other than the defence splitting pass to Knocky).

This may be because of Propper (who does seem very similar) or because as you say he has been surprised by the pace.

Whilst like you, I think/hope he'll address his shortcomings it is an unexpected concern.

In fact, after the forward issue I would say the central midfield is the biggest area of worry for me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whilst Stephens is probably the best/one of the best at championship level, he has IMO, surprisingly struggled so far (other than the defence splitting pass to Knocky).

This may be because of Propper (who does seem very similar) or because as you say he has been surprised by the pace.

Whilst like you, I think/hope he'll address his shortcomings it is an unexpected concern.

In fact, after the forward issue I would say the central midfield is the biggest area of worry for me.

Thought Stephens really stepped up his game against Watford, and for that matter Propper. I know if was against 10 for a long period, but the 2 of them along with Gross did seem to click a lot better imo. Very encouraging if they are on an upward curve of performances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here