Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If nothing else, moving Pascal on will help with our xG problem.

We'll create fewer chances (to subsequently miss) without his creativity in the side.

and that's why you're the boss.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If we're getting rid of one of our poster attacking centre mids to give youngsters a chance I vote Lallana leaving over Gross

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A strong case can me made for Pascal being the only reason we're still a Premier League club for any of the last 4 seasons.

What makes you think that would be so different in the 5th season?

This time last year a strong case could be made for Glenn Murray being the only reason we're still a Premier League side for any of the last 3 seasons - and guess what? We tried a season without him - and stayed up!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The only reason ? I think dunk, murray, bissouma, and a few others might have something to say about that.

But I’d agree he’s played an Important role…

I would say he is no longer as influential game-to-game as he once was and is now more of a versatile, ultility player.
That is because the quality and depth of the squad has improved. He is no Bissouma (20/21 version) and I think macallister could drop a litttle deeper and overtake him next season. That’s before you get to Moder and Caicedo and whoever else we sign. Gross remains probably our best deliverer of a set piece, but the standard isn’t great . He is no Ward-Prowse for example.
Whether he now goes or stays we will be fine next season. But if we didn’t have him in season one we would have gone down. That is the difference imho.

Although I agree with you on the other players, I think you're being a little harsh on Pascal here. There's a reason Potter picked him and played him for the full game on such a regular basis last season. And you're badly wrong on the highlighted part. Pascal's set plays are about as good as they get which is why he's right up there on the assists charts. He might not be as good with direct free kicks as JWP, but he's probably better in terms of corners and free kicks that generate headers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This time last year a strong case could be made for Glenn Murray being the only reason we're still a Premier League side for any of the last 3 seasons - and guess what? We tried a season without him - and stayed up!

Firstly by his own admission GM would have been nothing without Pascal.

But mainly, that's why I clearly wrote 'a strong case'.
Not the definitive case, not the only case, just a strong case for all four seasons.

Dunk aside, no single player can hold a candle to the contribution Pascal has made to our tenure in the division.
Oh and guess who has the most assists for Dunk's goals?

I go to football to be entertained (but despite that I still go to the Albion)

With the exception of Calde, no player in this iteration of the Albion, has given me more entertainment.
Every single Gross Turn is a thing of beauty I can not fathom why fans would want to wave that goodbye for 30 (big) pieces of silver.

They have no soul.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Firstly by his own admission GM would have been nothing without Pascal.

But mainly, that's why I clearly wrote 'a strong case'.
Not the definitive case, not the only case, just a strong case for all four seasons.

Dunk aside, no single player can hold a candle to the contribution Pascal has made to our tenure in the division.
Oh and guess who has the most assists for Dunk's goals?

I go to football to be entertained (but despite that I still go to the Albion)

With the exception of Calde, no player in this iteration of the Albion, has given me more entertainment.
Every single Gross Turn is a thing of beauty I can not fathom why fans would want to wave that goodbye for 30 (big) pieces of silver.

They have no soul.

Nobody's denying that he has been, and still is, a good footballer (and we'd almost certainly not have survived the first two seasons without bringing in him and Propper). But,

1). every player has a price;
2). squads must evolve and develop, which ultimately means moving players on to make room for new ones;
3). squads that don't keep evolving and developing eventually become dead in the water;
4). No.1 and no.2 always apply, even if it involves your favourite player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody's denying that he has been, and still is, a good footballer (and we'd almost certainly not have survived the first two seasons without bringing in him and Propper). But,

1). every player has a price;
2). squads must evolve and develop, which ultimately means moving players on to make room for new ones;
3). squads that don't keep evolving and developing eventually become dead in the water;
4). No.1 and no.2 always apply, even if it involves your favourite player.

Squads that offload all their best talent at the first offers very rarely evolve.

Bissouma is going in order to keep the production line moving.
Groß needs to stay, irrespective of his on field contribution, if only because he's a perfect and dependable mortar for the new brick work.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If we're getting rid of one of our poster attacking centre mids to give youngsters a chance I vote Lallana leaving over Gross

I don't think it's a matter of us wanting to get rid of anyone, just that allegedly at least, Liverpool have shown an interest in Gross.

Although personally l doubt very much that so called interest has any validity in it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m not sure paying £30m for a 30 year old is in FSG, Edwards or Klopp’s game plan.
Let’s be honest and genuinely with no disrespect, I’m sure LFC could find someone more suited to the style of play they play than pascal, even if he may think it’s time to move on upwards in his career.

I should never have quoted your £30m figure, look at the trouble I’ve now got myself into! [emoji3061]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Er...nobody actually thinks Liverpool are after Gross, surely?

No but...

...I don't believe it's something that should be quite so easily dismissed.
&.
I don't believe the 'every player has his price' rhetoric that some appear to be gleefully trotting out.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The logic would be that his replacement is already here, in the squad (and whoever that is, they're already a full international). So, how much would it would cost to replace him is irrelevant.

You then need to get a replacement for the player moving up,also the risk of the player moving up not meeting expectations, so it is very much relevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I don't think it's a matter of us wanting to get rid of anyone, just that allegedly at least, Liverpool have shown an interest in Gross.

Although personally l doubt very much that so called interest has any validity in it.

They signed that defender from Preston.
A long time they signed an old Gary macallister.
They wouldn’t sign him as a regular starter, but it’s not unheard of for massive clubs to sign lesser players for squad fodder purposes.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They signed that defender from Preston.
A long time they signed an old Gary macallister.
They wouldn’t sign him as a regular starter, but it’s not unheard of for massive clubs to sign lesser players for squad fodder purposes.

Well they signed that Preston centre half, (whos'e name escapes me), primarily l think becuase they were so short of defensive options at the time. Something of an emergency signing if l remember correctly, and one they probably wouldn't have made in other circumstances.

But yes, l'll agree that stranger things have happened.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You then need to get a replacement for the player moving up..............

Not if the replacement is already here. And that is what employ a top recruitment team - and a very expensive one - to have done. Four full internationals already on the books, itching to get game time, and ready to be off at any time if they don't - looks like the recruitment team are doing a good job. But perhaps you think they're not. OK.

And, at the end of the day, EVERY player has a price, and that's a fact, whether it's liked or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here