Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He is a weird one, this one.

Every game I think "did he do anything out there? I barely noticed him" while on the other hand I think "maybe this is the type of guy you need to be a professional coach to appreciate".

He got some interesting stats though, like the ones posted on last page, and his ridicilously good "secondary assist" rate and that the total number of Brighton PL wins without Gross could be counted on one hand.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Disagree. He presses well (albeit slowly and he can’t tackle) and takes a good set piece, is that all we want from someone playing in one of our most creative postions?

Great if he’s making space for himself but then he doesn’t get the ball or is totally ponderous and doesn’t do anything with it when he does. And I wouldn’t say he puts his teammates in threatening positions either. From open play he’s got 1 assist this season and very rarely plays the ball before the assist either. At times this season, he’s given the ball away in really dangerous positions, not reacted or just been incredibly slow which has put us in difficulty. In some games he’s been a liability.

You also highlighted some crosses he made in the Arsenal game in another thread as being very good but I watched them again and just didn’t see it. They weren’t particularly accurate or dangerous and didn’t lead to anything of note.

As someone else said, he was brilliant in the system we played in his first season but maybe we don’t have a place for him anymore. Mooy offers us more playing in the same positions.

Davy on the other hand is class and crucial to the way we play in his position.
I suggest if we had Murray in his pomp, Shearer, Big Les or even Andy Carroll up front you'd have a very different opinion of Groß.

He's not gelled with Maupay, and can't seem to deliver an Ali J cross.

I also think he looks considerably worse when in the team with Stephens, Mooy, Murray and Mooy.
I will never get my head round those team selections but seemingly I won't have too any more.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For me, Groß is brilliant when we’ve not got the ball. He runs and runs. He picks up great positions and finds space against attacking teams. He can hit a brilliant goal or assist out of nothing and can sneak into the box when he gets a whiff of Albion attacking intent

These qualities can out largely under Hughton.

With possession based Potterball being player, his obvious weaknesses are exposed. I think we only need him or Mooy in the team and maybe squad.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I believe Davy is our ultimate 'well he never played like that for us' player.

But recent players ratings threads suggest Pascal isn't far behind.
He spends the entire game closing down the opposition, getting the ball, making space for himself and putting team mates into threatening positions.

But because he does all this bathed in Teutonic efficiency we get:-

Groß - 2 - did nothing.
I'd agree with that and that those two would look much better with better players.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I suggest if we had Murray in his pomp, Shearer, Big Les or even Andy Carroll up front you'd have a very different opinion of Groß.

He's not gelled with Maupay, and can't seem to deliver an Ali J cross.

I also think he looks considerably worse when in the team with Stephens, Mooy, Murray and Mooy.
I will never get my head round those team selections but seemingly I won't have too any more.

Yes agree about playing with those strikers - he was excellent with Murray in his first season.

And totally agree about playing in the same team as Mooy, Murray and Stephens or even just two of them. When all our players are fit I wouldn’t start any of them personally.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
We have only won once this season when Gross hasn't started.

That’s a bit of a meaningless stat when you break down the fact that he has started most of the league games this season and yet for example, in the following wins: both goals against Norwich, the 2nd and 3rd goals against Everton and both against Arsenal last week came AFTER he had been taken off and the game changed in our favour.

So you could say, we win most of our matches when he doesn’t start or isn’t on the pitch.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Another assist for Gross, just saw that is 16 now, double that in the PL of any other Brighton player.

Missed his composure and accuracy in those sort of areas. Did well I thought, not surprised to see him back in contention when the thing we've been missing in the final third is guile and composure.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Did a superb Gross turn last night down by the byline.

did anyone notice he swapped places with Burn for the last 15 minutes - playing at right back? Commentators certainly picked up on it - dont think the players did!! Maybe Burn can become this decades Adam Virgo?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Never ever understand the vitriol aimed at Gross.

Nothing new in that.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Never ever understand the vitriol aimed at Gross.

Nothing new in that.

Think because he is the exact opposite to what people seem to want from a player.

Whole game seems to be about pace, pace and more pace these days and Pascal just doesn’t have any.

Probably a victim of his own success the first season in the PL and the fact he isn’t now playing in his ideal position most weeks.

Currently I would have him ahead of Lallana.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Think because he is the exact opposite to what people seem to want from a player.

Whole game seems to be about pace, pace and more pace these days and Pascal just doesn’t have any.

Probably a victim of his own success the first season in the PL and the fact he isn’t now playing in his ideal position most weeks.

Funny how he's no slower than Lallana

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

But I'll hazard a guess these are the same people bemoaning the lack of quality in the final third and shitehouse corners.

Gross put at least 2 corners on a plate for all our centre backs last night.
He got the assist.

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here