Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I've been critical of Gross this season, mostly down to his speed, but bloody hell it'll be a real shame if he goes.

Such a cultured player.

He is slow. But for the last few games he seems to be playing in a more advanced role which, strangely, seems to suit him. He's on the box and around the oppo goal more than he was just a few months ago imo.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I love Pascal Gross and get that if we we sell Biss then Potter might feel uncomfortable at losing another of his main midfielders.

However, Gross does not score goals and he is not blessed with pace (although that doesn't seem to stop Adam Lallana from game time and picking up a handsome cheque).

Overall, he is out of contract so can set himself up for the rest of his career with Bremen. It is a good opportunity for him and it feels kind of the right for him to go now.

If we achieve Top 10 then Bloom will have to reset his goals. I would expect that to be to consolidate top half and push for 7th. That means competing with West Ham, Leicester and an improving Newcastle. These teams have midfielders like Soucek, Fornals, Lanzini, Benrahma, Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes, Bruno Guimaraes who routinely score 5 or 6 a season and sometimes more. Gross has got 9 in his last 4 seasons in 116 matches.

Yes, I know Gross has an impressive amount of assists but we are not going to sign a £40 million striker and so our midfield will need to chip in with regular goals.

This is been the problem since we've been in the Prem that we've had tiny goals production from so many of our midfield - Stephens, Propper, March, Lallana, Knockaert, Bissouma and Gross (apart from that first season).

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I reckon if Moder was fit we wouldn’t be looking to extend Pascal’s contract for a year. However, he isn’t and it may take well into 2023 before he is fit after his op. Therefore a one year extension is a good bit of business for us especially as we seem to be able to find a nice balance with Mwepu and Caicedo also in the midfield to do a lot of the running.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just seen on South Today BBC 1 that Gross and Welbeck are close to signing new contracts at Brighton.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I love Pascal Gross and get that if we we sell Biss then Potter might feel uncomfortable at losing another of his main midfielders.

However, Gross does not score goals and he is not blessed with pace (although that doesn't seem to stop Adam Lallana from game time and picking up a handsome cheque).

Overall, he is out of contract so can set himself up for the rest of his career with Bremen. It is a good opportunity for him and it feels kind of the right for him to go now.

If we achieve Top 10 then Bloom will have to reset his goals. I would expect that to be to consolidate top half and push for 7th. That means competing with West Ham, Leicester and an improving Newcastle. These teams have midfielders like Soucek, Fornals, Lanzini, Benrahma, Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes, Bruno Guimaraes who routinely score 5 or 6 a season and sometimes more. Gross has got 9 in his last 4 seasons in 116 matches.

Yes, I know Gross has an impressive amount of assists but we are not going to sign a £40 million striker and so our midfield will need to chip in with regular goals.

This is been the problem since we've been in the Prem that we've had tiny goals production from so many of our midfield - Stephens, Propper, March, Lallana, Knockaert, Bissouma and Gross (apart from that first season).

Gross can score goals. He did in a poorer side in our first PL season but crucially was playing very advanced with a wonderful centre forward in Muzza. Welbeck is an international class CF who appears to be fit and firing. When Gross plays he’s most dangerous up the pitch and he can hit the bloody target if he gets the opportunity. If he stays, GPott must use him in an advanced attacking role.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Gross can score goals. He did in a poorer side in our first PL season but crucially was playing very advanced with a wonderful centre forward in Muzza. Welbeck is an international class CF who appears to be fit and firing. When Gross plays he’s most dangerous up the pitch and he can hit the bloody target if he gets the opportunity. If he stays, GPott must use him in an advanced attacking role.

Exactly, it's his only position.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I agree that Potter is getting the best out of him now, but he's just not delivering the goals needed to put teams away. The way we move up the table is coverting draws into wins and we do that by putting away chances; both he and March missed opportunities to put Leeds away and they snatched a point at the death.

I believe we have got incrementally better by McAllister doing more than Lallana, and the same may be the case with Mwepu over Gross.

Welbeck will score goals, but his career Prem highest tally is 9, so he misses them too. Maupay's highest is 10 and he looks mentally shot; if we are lucky Undav will match that, but if we are to progress we need more offensive output from those midfield spots occupied by Gross, Lallana and March.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What a finish today. It looked like he was passing again to Cucurella. Fabianski just completely not expecting it

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting negotiating tactics by the club:

d0408880ab87ea44bf13b9624a46cf3f.png

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Interesting negotiating tactics by the club:

d0408880ab87ea44bf13b9624a46cf3f.png
Thank Goodness they are making all the necessary efforts to know how much he is loved.
And in fairness, most of the previous 498 comments on this thread are positive and realise he has been along with Dunk, the standout player at Brighton over the past 5 seasons. There are of course just a few posters making the mistaken comments about his pace forgetting that he has the fastest brain in the team. I am not sure anyone else could have scored that goal today.
I hope he stays for another season.
If he doesn't, Auf Wiedersehen Pascal, you legend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here