Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just a shame he is so slow

.... and therein lies the rub. Our lack of speed - especially in midfield - is often a problem, and let's face it, Gross ain't going to get any quicker. As others have said, we are developing and the squad is evolving. Maybe a further one year extension for Gross, but not a three year contract - I don't want to see him go - but I'd be more concerned about the likes of Mac, Moder and Caicedo deciding they were fed up fighting for substitute appearances because Gross was always in the team ahead of them.
In three years time, I'd much rather those three were in the squad/team rather than Gross.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
.... and therein lies the rub. Our lack of speed - especially in midfield - is often a problem, and let's face it, Gross ain't going to get any quicker. As others have said, we are developing and the squad is evolving. Maybe a further one year extension for Gross, but not a three year contract - I don't want to see him go - but I'd be more concerned about the likes of Mac, Moder and Caicedo deciding they were fed up fighting for substitute appearances because Gross was always in the team ahead of them.
In three years time, I'd much rather those three were in the squad/team rather than Gross.

Think Gross has been great this season - he wasn’t too bad today in the first half, just way too deep with no options.

Caciedo is the future, but I’ve actually been disappointed with MacAllister and Moder when they’ve started recently.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s great when we have plenty of pace elsewhere in the team eg Biss.

It all goes pear-shaped when GP plays (or has to play) all the slow midfielders. Before today, exemplified by the recent lack of a cutting edge and goals scored.

In the first few games, Gross was very good.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Think Gross has been great this season - he wasn’t too bad today in the first half, just way too deep with no options.

Caciedo is the future, but I’ve actually been disappointed with MacAllister and Moder when they’ve started recently.

Moder was very poor today and also against Norwich. But like many have said, it usually takes about 18 months to adapt to the Premier League. Obviously in some cases it goes quicker (like for Cucurella, who came from the second best league in Europe) than for others (Moder might be a full season away from being a dependable starter, which is quite normal if you background is in the 30th best league in Europe). Think we have to be prepared that Moder (and Ali Mac for that matter) are going to be very inconsistent and for the time being usually on the bench when everyone is available.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He also seems one of those players whose versatility counts against him, meaning during a single game he can find himself playing any (or sometimes all of) #10, CM, holding midfield, RWB and even CB. He can do a good job anywhere so never gets enough of a chance to stick in one role for a few games without being shunted around.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Moder was very poor today and also against Norwich. But like many have said, it usually takes about 18 months to adapt to the Premier League. Obviously in some cases it goes quicker (like for Cucurella, who came from the second best league in Europe) than for others (Moder might be a full season away from being a dependable starter, which is quite normal if you background is in the 30th best league in Europe). Think we have to be prepared that Moder (and Ali Mac for that matter) are going to be very inconsistent and for the time being usually on the bench when everyone is available.

Fair point and why Gross remains a key component in this team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well Gross has been out of the side, but we're not winning without him. I like Lallana but in terms of end product he doesn't come near to Gross's numbers. At least Mwepu is making a contribution.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He'll be back.

I think one of the wettest dreams out there for Potter, possibly DA & Bloom, and for a huge percentage of Brighton fans is that one day this team will be better without the "slow, old German" as he might not be around forever and it is not really healthy to a team with top 10 ambitions to depend on the Gross. But nope, the time hasnt come yet, and I expect the man to be back in the starting eleven against Villa.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
2.50 chances created per 90 minutes this season for Grob.

Distant next best are Cucurella (1.55) and Trossard (1.54). And not creating much at all have been Moder (0.50), MacAllister (0.42), Lallana (0.33) and Bissouma (0.00).

Once again, Liverpool, Man City, & Chelsea & West Ham do not have a player between them who is more creative of chances than Pascal Gross. Trent Alexander-Arnold and Jack Grealish get close but they are still behind our twisty turny put it on a plate Pascal.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
2.50 chances created per 90 minutes this season for Grob.

Distant next best are Cucurella (1.55) and Trossard (1.54). And not creating much at all have been Moder (0.50), MacAllister (0.42), Lallana (0.33) and Bissouma (0.00).

Once again, Liverpool, Man City, & Chelsea & West Ham do not have a player between them who is more creative of chances than Pascal Gross. Trent Alexander-Arnold and Jack Grealish get close but they are still behind our twisty turny put it on a plate Pascal.

The weird thing is that I can’t remember a single one of those chances in the last 4 games, let alone 2.5 per match.
Are they including set pieces?

I’m calling those stats as bollox anyway as where are Lamptey’s stats? He put 2 on a plate for Maupay on Saturday as an example.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The weird thing is that I can’t remember a single one of those chances in the last 4 games, let alone 2.5 per match.

I’m calling those stats as bollox anyway as where are Lamptey’s stats? He put 2 on a plate for Maupay on Saturday as an example.

I think it's true as he's been up there for the last few seasons. Probably due to being our main corner taker and takes inswingers and outswingers for us, where, some other teams divide the role more than we do.

He creates a few from open play, but would surely be miles down the list of PL chance creators.

The fact the he isn't top of assists says to me, that (in addition to our well documented travails in front of goal) the quality of chances isn't as high as it is for some. So for example a corner from Ward Prowse is likely to be more dangerous than from Gross, just due to the pace and whip on it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I think it's true as he's been up there for the last few seasons. Probably due to being our main corner taker and takes inswingers and outswingers for us, where, some other teams divide the role more than we do.

He creates a few from open play, but would surely be miles down the list of PL chance creators.

The fact the he isn't top of assists says to me, that (in addition to our well documented travails in front of goal) the quality of chances isn't as high as it is for some. So for example a corner from Ward Prowse is likely to be more dangerous than from Gross, just due to the pace and whip on it.

Pascal has a SCA p90 (shot creating actions per 90) through open play passes of 2.49 per game this season which is more than 86% of all midfielders in the league (Kevin de Bruyne is no 1 with 4.17 per game).

Tariq Lampteys SCA p90 is 5.09 (11 passes, 3 dribbles, 2 shots, 2 defensive actions resulting in shots over 318 minutes) which is obviously more than any other full/wing back in the league by a gigantic distance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"he's too slow and all he does is take corners...

... Oh".

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Whoever didn't play tonight, assuming we lose, would've been "the answer". It's the football fan's way. Groß's set pieces have been dire lately anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here