[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably connected to Montoya being shite.

I didn't rate his defensive play in many games, hamstrung I think by a lack of pace when in retreat. Redmond on repeat, McNeil, Fraser, all had his number.

Although he did play his part in some of the famous CH wins.

The club must've eventually come to a similar conclusion, Veltman's a huge improvement.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don't think that's unique to Groß.

Even before Biss left I've been saying I felt the team was heading to a more fluid structure.

The midfield is completely interchangeable.
March and Trossard likewise.
Webster can step up.
Obviously Cucu was all over the place.

Basically Sanchez Dunk and Welbeck are the only players where you'd expect them to be.

Although I think Sanchez is under strict orders - I get the feeling he'd quite like to roam upfield more!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
We should be thankful that Gross moves like he's got a parachute tied to his arse because if he had any sort of pace he'd have been playing for a UCL team for the past 5 seasons. His assist numbers are outrageous.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Also an argument that a player whose game is more brains and technique over physique/athleticism, is now hitting his peak in his early 30s.

Might not necessarily have felt like it to a lot of fans at the time, but Gross signing that new 2-year deal could well have been the best bit of transfer business we’ll do this summer.

It is without doubt

Anyone who can get into the right position, seemingly in 2nd gear, and score two tap ins at Old trafford, for the away team, and then stroll off barely grinning, is frankly on the same page as Denis, or George for that matter.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How good was that Gross touch round the corner to release Trossard?

Honestly, I thought he was supposed to be getting worse not better!!?? :shrug:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Errr, no, I think you'll find he's getting better. :)

All of his best football for us, has been right up the pitch and pretty central. He was great in behind Muzza and he is great in behind Danny. He's nowhere near as effective in centre mid or the right wing in my view

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

It was top drawer. Not only was it very difficult to get it accurate, but Trossard said in the post-match interview that the ball was put in his path, but at the same speed as Gross received it.
Trossard appreciated the quality of the pass that made his job easier, and said so.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Amazing. The guy is a class act – getting close to my favourite ever Albion player.

I thought what GP said about him, Welbz and Lallana was interesting about their influence off the pitch as well as off it. For all the talk of the amazing young players we have in the team, the wealth of experience from those three alone must be a big part of the success of the team. Not only what they do themselves, but what they can do from everyone else around them.

Need more Groß turns though...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Errr, no, I think you'll find he's getting better. :)

All of his best football for us, has been right up the pitch and pretty central. He was great in behind Muzza and he is great in behind Danny. He's nowhere near as effective in centre mid or the right wing in my view

It was a rhetorical question aimed at those saying he was done and should be let go of in the summer.

I actually think with pace around him he can be effective where ever you decide to play him - he is that good.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
It was a rhetorical question aimed at those saying he was done and should be let go of in the summer.

I actually think with pace around him he can be effective where ever you decide to play him - he is that good.
I've said it before but it's his intelligence, spatial awareness and technical execution that mark him out - I see no reason why these strengths won't get stronger with age/experience, which is especially great for us now he's being continually deployed in the position where he can cause most damage to the opposition.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I'll hold my hand up and admit for several seasons I found Gross very frustrating in the roles he was playing as seemed a key reason our build ups were so slow. I'd have happily seen him moved on. I'm ecstatic he's proving me and many others wrong.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Some of our younger fans like to post their ideal Albion starting 11 on twitter.
It's rare that any of them include Groß.

I have often been guilty of forgetting about him myself.
However he remains supremely instrumental in all that is good about our forward play.

We have improved hugely with him playing higher up the pitch.
Can't see him being dropped for a long time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was Sundays Groß Turn the first of the season?

It's unfathomable that he can pull it off, what with 3000 Albion fans shouting 'oooooooooooooh' as he sets up the defender then sets himself.

I could see it coming for over 5 secs and he still sent the fella the wrong way.

Genius.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
And I enjoyed that Trossard was ready for it, already on his bike...he expected that perfect flick from Pascal. Brilliant team play 👍

Reminded me very much of this goal - but better.

[video]https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxGeD0r8YwOC0WT8RZclJh13jUap aApB4D[/video]

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Was Sundays Groß Turn the first of the season?

It's unfathomable that he can pull it off, what with 3000 Albion fans shouting 'oooooooooooooh' as he sets up the defender then sets himself.

I could see it coming for over 5 secs and he still sent the fella the wrong way.

Genius.

Even our own fans trying to help defenders spot it! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports