Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Gross - Controversial Opinion...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But Pirlo could put in a tackle and win a header, Gross can do neither so consequently is a liability in midfield

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Sorry but that is utter nonsense.

Presumably the header when scored against Man Utd doesn’t count? [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I like Gross but he was COMPLETELY anonymous for most of the game, and was rightly binned. I don't think he touched the ball after half time.

Apart from the offside goal...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, because we missed him playing up top, off of Murray... Not because we missed him playing as a CM like Hughton insisted on for the whole time he was fit alst season

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

He didn’t play the whole of last season as a CM and as I said when he was injured we lost a lot of our creativity

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We seem to be forgetting that he scored a pretty good second goal, but was unfortunately just offside. He was in [almost] the right place at the right time, and put it away well. Following his free-kick.

Would we even be having this discussion if he'd scored twice on Saturday?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Yup he’s a bit slower than some. Let’s see if we can do a swap for that Lua Lua fellow that plays for Luton or there’s a guy who is hot property called Elvis Manu playing in Beijing.

I despair.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The most intelligent footballer we have, and integral to almost everything we do going forward.

To accommodate Trossard, I can only really see us reverting to one up front (which is what Potter did for two of Trossard's three starts before his injury), which probably means Connolly will make way for him.

That said - the one time we started with two strikers and Trossard, which was Southampton at home - Gross was on the bench. March and Trossard started either side of Stephens and Propper with Maupay and (briefly) Adone up front.

With you on this. I think Connolly is most at risk as Trossard has to be a shoe in. We might have to wait for one up front though, as next fixture is Norwich at home

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Were you not at the Spurs game? He and Mooy were both excellent in what was effectively a 4-2-2-2.

Exactly. We repeated that formation against Villa too, until Mooy saw red, and started with it on Saturday, although with Propper on the right and Gross on the left. We seemed to move to three at the back from the start of the second half, which is borne out by the postmatch comments from Stephens

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am happy for Gross to start games as he makes things happen. I think Alzate should start as he has the energy lacking in midfield. The player to drop out for Trossard should be Propper who has been below par this season. Mooy should replace Gross in the second half. Stephens was poor on Saturday but has been influential this season with forward passes so keeps his place. Eventually I think our midfield will be Trossard Alzate Bissouma and one of either Gross Stephens or Propper.

While agreeing that Propper looks under threat, I disagree that he’s been poor this season. He started brilliantly but hasn’t reached those standards since returning from injury

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It might be a bit simplistic to argue that he scored the first goal that set the team on their way on Saturday so he therefore ISN'T overrated, so here's a bit more. I'm just watching extended highlights and within the first few minutes of the game Gross a) played a great throughball to Maupay, before he loses it and b) is there again to play the ball to Connolly who subsequently wins the foul that leads to the first goal.

Now, I don't claim to be any kind of football expert, but playing in that role, isn't linking up with the strikers exactly what he's MEANT to do? And he's done it twice (once with both strikers) in the first bit of the match, ultimately leading to a goal. HIS goal. :shrug: Also, isn't about fifth on the list of 'chances created' in the PL this season? Playing in midfield?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It might be a bit simplistic to argue that he scored the first goal that set the team on their way on Saturday so he therefore ISN'T overrated, so here's a bit more. I'm just watching extended highlights and within the first few minutes of the game Gross a) played a great throughball to Maupay, before he loses it and b) is there again to play the ball to Connolly who subsequently wins the foul that leads to the first goal.

Now, I don't claim to be any kind of football expert, but playing in that role, isn't linking up with the strikers exactly what he's MEANT to do? And he's done it twice (once with both strikers) in the first bit of the match, ultimately leading to a goal. HIS goal. :shrug: Also, isn't about fifth on the list of 'chances created' in the PL this season? Playing in midfield?

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good binfest :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Excluding set pieces (to counter any 'he's only good at corners and free kicks' comments)

Gross1.jpg

...and including

gross2.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I see Trossard, Maupay and Connelly starting.

Gross will fight it out with Mooy and Alzate.

Love Mooy, Love Pascal and Love Alzate… its a pickle I tell you :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was only a few months back we were worried about a lack of forwards, now were struggling to fit them all in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good binfest :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Excluding set pieces (to counter any 'he's only good at corners and free kicks' comments)

View attachment 116670

...and including

View attachment 116671
Fans of The Other 14 will have noticed irrespective of the title one team is either missing or features a solitary player right at the bottom.

No prizes fro guessing who.
and even less prizes for acknowledging their position in the table relative to us. :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS, it’s an absurd opinion, not a controversial opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here