Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Gross - Controversial Opinion...

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Potter has to find room for Trossard - and Mooy in my opinion - in the team to play Norwich. So - somebody's got to be dropped. Who that will be I've no idea, but Gross is at least one of the possibles.

For me the likely losers will be propper and alzate which is very difficult to type as I rate them both. Propper seems a bit off the boil currently and mooy isn’t so that’ll be one alzate is bloody good but no trossard

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
As an all round footballer, for contribution to team tactics over 90 mins, is overrated.

I fully accept his stats can be truly brilliant, comparable to many of the top players in the league, but although he runs a lot, he is very slow and in reality, is a luxury player.

When he can play as one of 2 or 3 forwards, I can really see what he adds and think we can afford to carry his limitations.

My issue is every time he is played as any sort of midfielder. When he has defensive responsibilities, and a set role that his opposite number knows he has, he is just too predictable and too easy for the opposition to play against. I also feel when he is in midfield, players near to him have worse games because they have to cover him, notably Burn, Stephens and Proper yesterday.

I do really think Gross has a huge role to play for the club now and moving forward, but I really feel that if we can't play him up front, he shouldn't play at all.

#awaitsflaming

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Not sure I entirely agree with you. I thought the formation on Saturday, wasn't working due to a lack of pace in wide areas and Everton seemed to be able to be able to counter us, with a fairly rigid defensive system.

I was really surprised to see Bissouma getting ready to come on, not because I think he is over-rated, but more because I thought March would be more effective in opening up the game. As it happened Trossard did this beautifully.

My point here is that the best team, is not always going to be the best XI players. Gross can be frustrating at times, due to his lack of pace, but he does play an important role in linking the midfield and forward lines, when he is playing deeper.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
he's a bit of a luxury but I think his overall contribution- goals scored, chances created etc trumps the negative aspects of his game

at the end of the day if a player with that standard of delivery was able to run there's no way he'd be playing for us

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mooy is better and you can’t leave out Trossard or our great striking partnership. So where does he go

Worth his place in the 18 fair enough

I wouldnt agree that Mooy is better and as regards Trossard I expect him to replace Cnnolly in starting most games when all players are fit, with Connolly being the sub replacement for Maupay if he isnt performing or even Gross if a more attacking force is needed.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
With respect, if we'd been 2-1 down under Hughton with Trossard sitting on the bench, he would have brought him on too.

Heh - that made me chuckle - its true, but he'd have been under no illusions that stretching the play beyond our halfway line was a cardinal sin.

"Now remember Leonardo, these are a good team, so under no circumstances attack - I want you to play as a second left back... if you hold Gaetan's hand, he'll keep you right..." "Yep - use your pace to cover the deep left back position, and if you get the ball facing up the pitch... boot it to Glenn, if he's onside we might win a free kick!"

"Errr boss, it's errr Leandro..."

"Yep Leonardo, good lad, get out there and keep it tight...!!"

"Errr boss..."

"Yes son..."

"It's zee game, it finished half an hour ago..."

"Did we grind it out?"

"Errr... what?!?"

You know, I'm not sure where this is going? hmmmmmm.

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
"Now remember Leonardo, these are a good team, so under no circumstances attack - I want you to play as a second left back... if you hold Gaetan's hand, he'll keep you right..." "Yep - use your pace to cover the deep left back position, and if you get the ball facing up the pitch... boot it to Glenn, if he's onside we might win a free kick!"

Reading that gave me goosebumps...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Plenty of other mugs in Pascal's company:-

[tweet]1188802859992829952[/tweet]

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I am happy for Gross to start games as he makes things happen. I think Alzate should start as he has the energy lacking in midfield. The player to drop out for Trossard should be Propper who has been below par this season. Mooy should replace Gross in the second half. Stephens was poor on Saturday but has been influential this season with forward passes so keeps his place. Eventually I think our midfield will be Trossard Alzate Bissouma and one of either Gross Stephens or Propper.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Gross, like Propper, massively under appreciated by some on here, but invaluable to our team and clearly valued by Hughton and Potter. Great to have options, but no need to dismiss two of our most consistent performers over two and a bit seasons (only matched by Dunk, Ryan and, until recent weeks, Murray imo).

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
For me he is our most creative player and building the team around him may be a wise decision. He is best utilised inbetween disciplined midfielders and some pacey strikers but he needs to play more in a dangerous position not squashed into a 3 man midfield

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Let’s take your comments one stage further - Gross is an integral part of the team, as all the others that you have mentioned. The beauty of this situation is that we at last have quality players to fill key positions and more. Potter now has the advantage of being able to change the tactics, formation, style of play, call it what you will, without the past problems of having to select players for unfamiliar positions - square pegs in round holes if you will.

In my view Potter has been particularly proactive on tactics and selection - letting the opposition worry about how WE are going to play rather than Hughton’s philosophy of reacting to how THEY (our opponents) would be set up.

Exactly all this. If GP has decisions to make about which particular skill sets he needs from his forwards and midfield, isn't that a nice problem to have?

Rather than the Mooy must start/Trossard must start sort of attitude, I am VERY happy to leave it to Mr Potter and his staff to work out what we need for Norwich and to deploy his players accordingly.

It's what he gets paid for...………… and he seems to be fairly good at it!:albion2::smile:

Edit - and although he does seem to have backtracked on it a bit, The OP did use the word "overrated". Gross most certainly is not.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
If the team have room for Gross and Greyhound to make cameo appearances when Potter wants,then I for one think desperation is longer needed for the Albion fan!:albion2:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think that this situation could be resolved if we got the club to agree that a different random member of NSC should pick the team for each game. Wouldn't that be fun!

And if they agree, see you in the Championship.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'd agree that Gross didn't have his best game, I think that was a result of us not keeping the ball as well as we have in our previous two games using the 442 with Gross/Mooy tucking in. I think Everton did a good job of stopping us play, and switched the ball quickly to try and overload us in the wide areas. We never really got to grips with that and our only counter was to switch back to our 3421 in the second half and then by trying to hurt them by using Trossard/Maupay/Connolly in more of a counter attacking 3 than a possession based system. I think Gross is an excellent player and a huge asset but we have options to attack in different ways which is great. I doubt we'll see a definitive "best XI" as such this season, rather Potter will change things up based on the best way to hurt the opposition.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
If this thread has confirmed one thing, it's that people read what they think about an initial post and then ignore the rest which might clear up the comment they're about to make.... [emoji42]

I have reread it still stand by the post making it clear I rate what Gross offers us, but I don't believe he should play in midfield. I appreciate I was deliberately a little controversial with the opening statement but I really must learn that people might not be smart enough to read posts fully before implying I know nothing about football...

UTA

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here