Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Gross - Controversial Opinion...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does WeBoughtTheTitleStandChat have a thread suggesting kev dB should be dropped.
Or WeWillChokeAgainStandChat have fans calling out Salah.

Or are we alone when it comes to dingleberry supporters?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Does WeBoughtTheTitleStandChat have a thread suggesting kev dB should be dropped.
Or WeWillChokeAgainStandChat have fans calling out Salah.

Or are we alone when it comes to dingleberry supporters?
Don't be a bellend or literally can you not read? I haven't said I want to drop him, I have said if you can't play him up front then don't play him?

Would you play Salah in CM? No, thought not.

I see Gross as someone who is most effective when he can drop into pockets of space between defenders, ala Bergkamp... And you wouldn't have played Bergkamp in midfield either.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No coincidence that some of our worst football is when he is not playing.

Hughton teams particularly really suffered without him.

Very intelligent, Pirlo didn’t have much pace either, sometimes it just isn’t required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I like Gross but he was COMPLETELY anonymous for most of the game, and was rightly binned. I don't think he touched the ball after half time.
And this is my point Easy! Trossard came in and we went with 3 up top and it changed the game... With PG on the pitch, who played really well as one of 3 up to earlier in the season, why not go to that at half time before making the sub.... Gross would have played far better than he did if he was given the role that Trossard was given

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
No coincidence that some of our worst football is when he is not playing.

Hughton teams particularly really suffered without him.

Very intelligent, Pirlo didn’t have much pace either, sometimes it just isn’t required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But Pirlo could put in a tackle and win a header, Gross can do neither so consequently is a liability in midfield

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
As an all round footballer, for contribution to team tactics over 90 mins, is overrated.

I fully accept his stats can be truly brilliant, comparable to many of the top players in the league, but although he runs a lot, he is very slow and in reality, is a luxury player.

When he can play as one of 2 or 3 forwards, I can really see what he adds and think we can afford to carry his limitations.

My issue is every time he is played as any sort of midfielder. When he has defensive responsibilities, and a set role that his opposite number knows he has, he is just too predictable and too easy for the opposition to play against. I also feel when he is in midfield, players near to him have worse games because they have to cover him, notably Burn, Stephens and Proper yesterday.

I do really think Gross has a huge role to play for the club now and moving forward, but I really feel that if we can't play him up front, he shouldn't play at all.

#awaitsflaming

I completely know where you are coming from and have made similar comments myself. In the formation we played Saturday his lack of pace & mobility and inability to make a tackle always puts pressure on our other 2 midfielders and the game often passes him by. He can slow our counter attacks down at times. When people then throw the stats at you I believe that Trossard can easily match if not better these stats.

The most intelligent footballer we have, and integral to almost everything we do going forward.

To accommodate Trossard, I can only really see us reverting to one up front (which is what Potter did for two of Trossard's three starts before his injury), which probably means Connolly will make way for him.

That said - the one time we started with two strikers and Trossard, which was Southampton at home - Gross was on the bench. March and Trossard started either side of Stephens and Propper with Maupay and (briefly) Adone up front.

Along with my comment above, I also agree with Bozza that the only way we can accommodate Gross in the starting line up WITH Trossard is playing him further forward at the expense of Connolly meaning that we would still have 3 solid midfielders behind him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And this is my point Easy! Trossard came in and we went with 3 up top and it changed the game... With PG on the pitch, who played really well as one of 3 up to earlier in the season, why not go to that at half time before making the sub.... Gross would have played far better than he did if he was given the role that Trossard was given

Indeed. Bold changes that reaped dividends. How refreshing it is to have a manager who thinks on his feet and GOES for it. Just seeing our players flood forward in numbers right at the death to go and win it was a joy to behold.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Indeed. Bold changes that reaped dividends. How refreshing it is to have a manager who thinks on his feet and GOES for it. Just seeing our players flood forward in numbers right at the death to go and win it was a joy to behold.
Absolutely, if anything it felt un potter like to wait till when we did for the change... If Trossard wasn't fit enough for more than he did, PG could have been played higher up the pitch from much earlier.

Clearly I have already got too used to having such a bold and forward thinking manager!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

With respect, if we'd been 2-1 down under Hughton with Trossard sitting on the bench, he would have brought him on too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Potter has to find room for Trossard - and Mooy in my opinion - in the team to play Norwich. So - somebody's got to be dropped. Who that will be I've no idea, but Gross is at least one of the possibles.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But Pirlo could put in a tackle and win a header, Gross can do neither so consequently is a liability in midfield

Liability is far too strong a word. He's better the further forward he gets

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With respect, if we'd been 2-1 down under Hughton with Trossard sitting on the bench, he would have brought him on too.
True

He'd have left the comfort of Dan Burn's shadow.
Played in front of Bong.
While Stephens and Propper played sideways passes on the toes of D&D.
As poor old Glenn stood with a vacant expression on his face on the Everton penalty spot, having been flogged to death.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
True

He'd have left the comfort of Dan Burn's shadow.
Played in front of Bong.
While Stephens and Propper played sideways passes on the toes of D&D.
As poor old Glenn stood in an OFFSIDE position with a vacant expression on his face on the Everton penalty spot, having been flogged to death.

Corrected for you, you are slipping

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
How can a player be a liability when he’s scoring directnfree kicks, taking killer free kicks and corners and is our top assist meister.

Also , a great team player who stays on the pitch.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Quite probably. But then having got it back to 2-2, I doubt we'd have left our own half again.

el punal

I think some of you are misunderstanding my point... The fact his stats are so good is why we need to play him in a position where he can influence the game, not in a rigid midfield position.

Saturday was the first time I have seen GP play him there and I hated watching it. It felt like he was being shoehorned into that position because he couldn't leave him out, but for some reason felt he couldn't play 3 up top on Saturday.

Personally I'd like to see Gross, Trossard and Maupay up top on Saturday with Connelly to come off the bench

Let’s take your comments one stage further - Gross is an integral part of the team, as all the others that you have mentioned. The beauty of this situation is that we at last have quality players to fill key positions and more. Potter now has the advantage of being able to change the tactics, formation, style of play, call it what you will, without the past problems of having to select players for unfamiliar positions - square pegs in round holes if you will.

In my view Potter has been particularly proactive on tactics and selection - letting the opposition worry about how WE are going to play rather than Hughton’s philosophy of reacting to how THEY (our opponents) would be set up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

With respect, Trossard has only been here 3 or 4 months so under CH he would be unlikely to be near the first team!!!!

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I like Pascal. I remember the team coming out at Chelsea away and he made a point to face the Brighton fans and applaud. Hats off

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here