Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Party Leader resignations

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Julia Hartley-Brewer:
"I'm not sure what the Labour problem is, but I'm 100% certain that Harriet Harman is not the solution."

I can't disagree with this. Labour need to think long and hard about who their next leader is, they got it wrong last time and they can't afford to do it again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Julia Hartley-Brewer:
"I'm not sure what the Labour problem is, but I'm 100% certain that Harriet Harman is not the solution."

I can't disagree with this. Labour need to think long and hard about who their next leader is, they got it wrong last time and they can't afford to do it again.

The most impressive next Labour leader would be Caroline Lucas. Oh.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well played Ed - much respect for that.

After working flat out for weeks on end, being up all night whilst suffering the biggest psychological blow of your life, it can't be easy to do what he's just had to do.

Just goes to show Bozza, anyone can buy Champagne (well less each year really ), but you can't buy class.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

After working flat out for weeks on end, being up all night whilst suffering the biggest psychological blow of your life, it can't be easy to do what he's just had to do.

That was the easy part, the tough part is explaining it all to his brother.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Julia Hartley-Brewer:

Happy to see that Harman has already said she will be resigning too. She is another of the lickspittle hypocritical Labour old guard, untrusted and unloved by the public. I hope Labour have got some actual talented politicians lined up to replace people like her. ???

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Farage resigns, but then says he might put his name forward again.

Very clever. He's not going anywhere.

As I predicted even before he did not win his seat. UKIP is Farage/Farage is UKIP. They will vote for him to be leader again guaranteed. With a EU referendum coming up he has to be there really, a no vote is all they really want.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I predict Chuka Umunna, Tim Farron and Suzanne Evans will emerge as the three leaders.

I sincerely hope Leanne Wood chooses to stay on in Plaid Cymru. It's the voice.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As I predicted even before he did not win his seat. UKIP is Farage/Farage is UKIP. They will vote for him to be leader again guaranteed. With a EU referendum coming up he has to be there really, a no vote is all they really want.

Absolutely. At the moment UKIP is a one personality party. Unless health issues get in the way, he will be back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It was a good speech, strong, humble, and with some humour.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Happy to see that Harman has already said she will be resigning too. She is another of the lickspittle hypocritical Labour old guard, untrusted and unloved by the public. I hope Labour have got some actual talented politicians lined up to replace people like her. ???

Chuka.Umunna. Lab leader in waiting.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Shame Politicians only seem to turn back to human beings upon their resignation.

Totally this.

If politicians showed a bit more humanity while campaigning for votes rather than blindly treating the electorate like a bunch of idiots, they'd gain a lot more respect (and I include all parties in that).

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It will be interesting to see if this becomes the new norm...

You get to be leader of a party, but if you lose seats (or in the case of the two main parties) lose the election, you are "obliged" to quit.

Along with the stupid debates, this moves us closer and closer to the US style "Presidential Election" where the personality of the leader is more important that the rest of the party or the policies they stand for.

It may be honourable to fall on your sword but it is equally honourable to choose to battle back and not sulk because you didn't get what you wanted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here