Parkinsons take on todays game...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Did Parkinson mention anything about the very respectable looking gentleman that pursued him after the 4th goal and was ushered out by stewards? The death knell follows shortly in most cases.

A deluded fellow (PP). Possibly beginning to fear for his job, especially since he was completely outclassed today by a team that is not the Man City of League One.

The way I'm reading this it seems most Charlton fans are putting this result down to their crapness and not our Brilliance! Charlton mate I went to the match with just posted this on my fb-

"charlton were just awful, no offence mate but brighton are just as average as every other team including charlton in this league. they just have a manager who clearly knows how to set up a team, poyet was the real difference today"

AVERAGE!! not for me, this is the best albion side I've seen in the 19 years since I was born!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The way I'm reading this it seems most Charlton fans are putting this result down to their crapness and not our Brilliance! Charlton mate I went to the match with just posted this on my fb-

"charlton were just awful, no offence mate but brighton are just as average as every other team including charlton in this league. they just have a manager who clearly knows how to set up a team, poyet was the real difference today"

AVERAGE!! not for me, this is the best albion side I've seen in the 19 years since I was born!

Poyet was the difference today, we had a style and a gameplan that Charlton didn't have a clue how to counteract from the way that we built from the back with Greer and El Abd they didn't have a clue how to deal with us.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Parky: "They caught us by surprise by playing a diamond - but they didn't hurt us until we gave them a sloppy goal. We handed them some basic goals and that cost us the game".
To be fair, no-one has ever played a diamond before. In the entire history of world football. So you can appreciate how caught by surprise our cub scout level management team were by such an innovation. Still, they fixed it with that double substitution. Everything went much better from then on in. Umm...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Did Parkinson mention anything about the very respectable looking gentleman that pursued him after the 4th goal and was ushered out by stewards? The death knell follows shortly in most cases.

Parky has no reason to fear for his job. We literally can't afford to fire him (he'd be due 2.5 years wages in severence) or hire anyone to replace him. There have been calls to get rid of him for a good 18 months now, we simply can't afford to do so even if (?) we wanted to. How strange [and sad] that we now have to operate to division three financial constraints and a previously povsome but now moneybags buy-the-title* club like you doesn't.

[*PS I'm joking, you sensitive ***s x]

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Parky has no reason to fear for his job. We literally can't afford to fire him (he'd be due 2.5 years wages in severence) or hire anyone to replace him. There have been calls to get rid of him for a good 18 months now, we simply can't afford to do so even if (?) we wanted to. How strange [and sad] that we now have to operate to division three financial constraints and a previously povsome but now moneybags buy-the-title* club like you doesn't.

[*PS I'm joking, you sensitive ***s x]

I know you are kidding with the old 'moneybags' business, but where have the Charlton millions gone?

You haven't been out of the 'EPL' for that long and you have some seriously wealthy backers? Plus, you have reasonable attendances to boot (I hope we didn't).

It is a bit rich of Parkinson going on about us being so wealthy when we have been selling anyone that is decent enough for the last decade or so (and continue to do so).

I assume Francis, Reid, Fortune, Richardson, Llera, Doherty, Dailly, Jackson, Sodje, Bailey and Burton are playing for peanuts and waived any sort of signing on fee.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton

Interesting comments from your mate!! It is not often I check out message-boards of opponents but following todays result I just had to check out what Addicks fans were saying and some mirrored what your mate says.

What I find baffling in both instances is although Charlton offered very little I did not think they were crap!...This is mainly due to them not having the opportunity to show us how bad they were as we barely allowed them a kick of the ball all game. Other than a small spell of pressure just before half-time we controlled the game with absolute ease.

Another gem I read on their forum from a few Charlton fans was that 4-0 flattered us!!!...I think 4-0 flattered them to be honest as I can recall a further 2 good chances off the top of my head we had, so could have won by more. They also go on about us being an average and well drilled side, which again is total bollocks as the game we employ now is slick with every player comfortable and confident...I have seen us play well and be good plenty of times in the past but I have never seen us play the football of the quality that we do now...We are truly, truly awesome.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I know you are kidding with the old 'moneybags' business, but where have the Charlton millions gone?

You haven't been out of the 'EPL' for that long and you have some seriously wealthy backers? Plus, you have reasonable attendances to boot (I hope we didn't).

Unless you've missed a memo, it's going into the Premier league that does clubs in. The higher up the English leagues you are, the more in debt you are. we were envisaged as a carefully run club, but we were £46m in debt when we got relegated from the PL in 2007. Sales (primarily Darren Bent plus others) took the edge of that, but we are still -even in League One with all the PL earners off our books - losing 30k *A DAY*. We've been up for sale for ages and as no deal could be done, we over the summer did a DIY administration (the board stepped down on the proviso they'll get their soft loans back if we ever make the PL again). Suffice to say, we - like most of football - are f***ed.

Where did the money go? Wages. Example: A Danish U21 player we signed on a five year deal for £8k a week (plus extras) who turned out to be so shite he wasn't even worth fielding in the reserves. No-one else wanted him, he refused to leave, we paid him £2.2m in wages alone as he swanned around South East London in a BMW for five years with no chance of ever playing for us.

Albion in the Premier League? be careful what you wish for... x

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unless you've missed a memo, it's going into the Premier league that does clubs in. The higher up the English leagues you are, the more in debt you are. we were envisaged as a carefully run club, but we were £46m in debt when we got relegated from the PL in 2007. Sales (primarily Darren Bent plus others) took the edge of that, but we are still -even in League One with all the PL earners off our books - losing 30k *A DAY*. We've been up for sale for ages and as no deal could be done, we over the summer did a DIY administration (the board stepped down on the proviso they'll get their soft loans back if we ever make the PL again). Suffice to say, we - like most of football - are f***ed.

Where did the money go? Wages. Example: A Danish U21 player we signed on a five year deal for £8k a week (plus extras) who turned out to be so shite he wasn't even worth fielding in the reserves. No-one else wanted him, he refused to leave, we paid him £2.2m in wages alone as he swanned around South East London in a BMW for five years with no chance of ever playing for us.

Albion in the Premier League? be careful what you wish for... x

Fans with unrealistic expectations driving Curbishley out wasn't too bright and couldn't have helped either.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Well in fairness to Parkinson, we are apparently the BIG SPENDERS in this league.
I mean you come to little old Charlton and their 19,000 crowds and its almost inevitable the likes of Brighton will turn them over almost at will. I mean how can they really compete ?

especially when we reciprocate and start running a free shuttle service from North Kent to Falmer for those who wish to watch a higher level of football next year

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
"They caught us by surprise by playing a diamond - but they didn't hurt us until we gave them a sloppy goal. We handed them some basic goals and that cost us the game".

I loved that quote. I think I read it as "Ooops, I didn't do my homework". Didn't he get us watched at Plymouth? We played pretty much the same fomation, albeit Bennett a little wider for parts of that game. The only time Lualua has started an away game this season was at Carlisle, when we were over-run in the first half and Gus had to change things. Parkinson really does come across as a complete plonker.

I actually thought Charlton had some decent passages of play, but their only real tactic was to lump the ball into the box and see what happened. If they had a manager with a little imagination, they could at least challenge for the play-offs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought they had some good periods of play as well but came up short and were basically out passed by us.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Reported in the Standard recently - prior to the Brentford game Parkinson told his players if they stop Weston (the Brentford left winger) they will stop Brentford. One of the Charlton players then repeated this to Weston himself and then they failed to stop him.

Not great is it ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It would be more gracious if nothing else for Parkinson to admit we were vastly superior, all he's done is made himself look a fool.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I didn't think we fundamentally played any different to most of the season. Parky clearly had worked on stopping Lualua and then found himself outnumbered in midfield. As mentioned above the key to this is the fullbacks getting forward. And the key to this is the "back 3" drawing Charlton out and creating space for Kish/Dicker to bring the ball out.
BTW nobody seems to have mentioned that of the remaining Addicks fans left at the end, a good number clapped us off the park. They didn't seem to think it was just Charlton being crap! Fair play to them.
PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports