Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paris advice!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Hello all!

Booked flights on 2nd August for a couple of nights, and was wondering whether any of you had advice of anywhere to stay? Would like to be central and fairly reasonably priced! Are the lastminute.com secret hotels worth it?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Don't let your boyfriend put the video on the internet,Paris!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Stayed in the Ibis in Montmartre...it wasn't posh or in a particularly good area, our room was on about the eleventh floor and the lift only went up to something like seven...but, the view across the Paris skyline to the Eiffel Tour was magnificent.

yorkgull

Sep 18, 2005
the north
Food and drink can be really expensive but found a great restuarant on Ile Saint-Louis called Sergent Recruteur. Fixed menu is 40 euros a person. For that you get a sausage basket, vege basket, soup of the day, pate (for starters), then a choice of main courses including Boeuf bourguignon etc. After that a choice of cheese and then a dessert.
But the best part was free house wine or beer all night and they give you pints or bottles of wine and don't keep you waiting.
Had a great night there, but there were some very loud americans but don't think you can avoid this in Paris.
Enjoy.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We stayed in the Holiday Inn right next to Gare de L'est. May not sound like the most glamourous of places, but was a nice hotel and literally 10 yards from the metro station.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Went last year with the missus and kids. Stayed in Holiday inn in Montparnasse. Try and speak a little French and they may give you a room with Eiffel Tower view. Cheap and very friendly, and close to Metro.
Recommend you get a carnet for the Metro to get around, but most of he main attractions are in walking distance, other than Sacre Coeur and Montmartre.

Recommend a stroll from the Arc along the Champs Élysées down to the Louvre. Fantastic city. As friendly as London if you know what I mean.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Been working over there for 3 months and would recommend hotel 9 and hotel Gotty if you can get reasonable rates. These are away from the main touristy areas but still only a 20 minutes walk to Louvre, Opera etc. Grand Boulevard area is great and would also recommend Au Jardin restaurant. Montmarte area towars Sacre Bleau is great if you can base yourself around there.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I stayed in the Bastille area when I went, Paris is a fascinating city but I found it a little grubby in places and expensive overall. As above get a Carnet for the Metro (the machines are multilingual) and remember on some of the Metro trains the doors don't open by themselves, you have to flip the handle and most Paris folk will do it before the train has actually stopped!

I loved going up to the top of the Sacre Coeur and Arc de Triomphe, got to the 2nd floor of the Eiffel Tower but since I'm terrified of heights I couldn't go any higher... and be aware of Africans at the bottom of the steps at the Sacre Coeur that try and tie a bit of coloured string round your wrist then demand payment for them, I had to be quite forceful with them to make them let me through.

Paris travel guide - Wikitravel

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Been working over there for 3 months and would recommend hotel 9 and hotel Gotty if you can get reasonable rates. These are away from the main touristy areas but still only a 20 minutes walk to Louvre, Opera etc. Grand Boulevard area is great and would also recommend Au Jardin restaurant. Montmarte area towars Sacre Bleau is great if you can base yourself around there.
Sacre Bleau?You are Inspector Clouseau,and I claim my 10 euros.Merci Beaucoup

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Another thing to watch out for (happened to me and my boss a few months later).

You may find yourself strolling along the Champs Élysées, when somebody (of Balkan extraction) will come up to you with a gold ring, saying you dropped it, and try and put it in your hand. Don't let them. They will keep on at you, just tell them to keep it. Once in your hand, they try and demand money, quite aggressively.

The big difference between London and Paris is the amount of street sellers and con artists. Beware! Still had a fantastic time though.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
be aware of Africans at the bottom of the steps at the Sacre Coeur that try and tie a bit of coloured string round your wrist then demand payment for them, I had to be quite forceful with them to make them let me through.

Eastern Europeans are also in abundance trying to scam you for money. The usual heather sellers were particularly numerous around the Eiffel Tower and Opera when we where there but are easily recognised for what they are. We were warned about one scam that may not at first be obvious for what it actually is, and this one involves a "gold ring". Having listened to their potential "victim(s)" talking so knowing what language to speak, I don't know if they work alone or in small groups for this, but one of them can be walking either towards or away from you, but at some point when you are quite close together, they will bend down and appear to pick up a "ring" from the pavement. They then make a great deal of being very lucky finding a gold ring. As the victim is sucked into the plot, he/she/they are shown a number of gold rings that the finder has on her/his fingers and told that the finder has no use for another. You are then given the opportunity to buy the ring from the finder at a knock down price. We were lucky that we had been warned about this as it was tried on us near to the big department store Galleries Lafayette on the Blvd. Haussmann in the Opera area. The warning given to us by the hotel receptionist had ended by her telling us that one woman staying at the same hotel a few weeks before had fallen for the scam and parted with over 300 Euros for a ring that turned out to be brass.

My wife was also warned to have the strap of her shoulder bag around the back of her neck with the actual bag to the front and not at her side with her hand holding the bag itself. It was only after that warning was given that it was noticeable that nearly all the French women did just that. There are many pickpockets around.

I don’t want to sound all doom and gloom, these are just things to be aware of and do to make your stay in Paris as enjoyable as possible because Paris is an amazing place.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
but there were some very loud americans but don't think you can avoid this in Paris.
Enjoy.

Are there any other kind?!?!?!?!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I was at a conference at UNESCO in 2006 and this was the list of hotels we were given nearby; this area was very central, quiet, easy walking to restaurants, metro and to eiffel tower/louvre. Prices are 2006 of course.

I stayed at Hotel Segur, very acceptable.

Hôtel Bailli de Suffren
149 avenue de Suffren
75015 Paris

Tél : 33(0)1 56 58 64 64
Fax : 33(0)1 45 67 75 82
E-mail : cliquez ici
Métro : Ségur (ligne 10)
Sevres-Lecourbe (ligne 6)
Room Single - Chambre simple 108-121EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)
Room Double - Chambre double 129EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)

Hôtel Europe
103, boulevard de Grenelle
75015 PARIS
Métro : La Motte-Picquet Grenelle
Tel. : (33)1 47 34 07 44
Fax : (33)1 45 66 93 08
Email: europe.hotel@easynet.fr
Web: http://www.cofrace.com/hotel/europe.hotel
Room Single - Chambre simple 89EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)
Room Double - Chambre double 120EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)

Hôtel Splendid
29, avenue Tourville
75007 PARIS
Métro : Ecole Militaire
Tel : (33)1 45 51 24 77
Fax : (33)1 45 51 29 29
Room Single - Chambre simple 107EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)
Room Double - Chambre double 125EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)

Derby Hôtel Eiffel
5, avenue Duquesne
75015 PARIS
Métro : Ecole Militaire
N° Vert® : 0 800 52 18 41 (in France)
Tel : (33)1 47 05 12 05
Fax : (33)1 47.05.43.43
Room Single - Chambre simple 95EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)
Room Double - Chambre double 115EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)

Derby Garibaldi Hôtel
92, boulevard Garibaldi
75015 PARIS
Métro : Sèvres-Lecourbes
Tel. : (33)1 53 86 83 83
Fax : (33)1 53 86 83 40
Room Single - Chambre simple 115EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)
Room Double - Chambre double 140EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)

Holyday Inn Paris Tour Eiffel
102, boulevard Grenelle
75015 PARIS
Métro :
Tel : (33)1 40 59 90 90
fax : (33)1 45 75 79 10
E-mail : hi.te@wanadoo.fr
Room Single - Chambre simple 130EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)
Room Double - Chambre double 135EUR (ptdej / b’fast incl.)

And one 2 star hotel which is very close to the UNESCO building which is at 1 rue Miollis

Hôtel Ségur
34, boulevard Garibaldi
75015 PARIS
Métro : Ségur, Cambronne
Tel. : (33)1 43 06 01 85
Fax : (33)1 47 34 30 82
Room Single/Double - Chambre simple/double : 78EUR

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Another thing to watch out for (happened to me and my boss a few months later).

You may find yourself strolling along the Champs Élysées, when somebody (of Balkan extraction) will come up to you with a gold ring, saying you dropped it, and try and put it in your hand. Don't let them. They will keep on at you, just tell them to keep it. Once in your hand, they try and demand money, quite aggressively.

The big difference between London and Paris is the amount of street sellers and con artists. Beware! Still had a fantastic time though.

On the Champs Elysees an Eastern European woman approached me holding up a piece of paper with some dubious story of woe written on it in English and asked me if I spoke English, to which I replied in my best English accent "No sorry, I don't speak English" and carried on walking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here