[Drinking] Parenting in pubs

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I'm pretty sure I read that if you are in Wetherspoons and in charge of a child or children they will only serve you two alcoholic drinks max. Commendable if true.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Luckily there are none in the Brighton and Hove area, because we are a proper footballing city. So I'm told :rolleyes:

No you're not.

You were told we have proper footballing areas in the County. You do know there are Liverpool fans living in Manchester and Chelsea fans in pubs in Millwall / Palace land?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No you're not.

You were told we have proper footballing areas in the County. You do know there are Liverpool fans living in Manchester and Chelsea fans in pubs in Millwall / Palace land?

You're right. On average, though.....there are far more ManU 'fans' in the City of Brighton and Hove and surrounding areas than there are Brighton (or Liverpool or Chelsea) fans in Trafford Park, Stretford or Salford.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Unwritten rule down the pub is 3 pints Max - 2 as a general rule - if you've got kids and be out of dodge before 7pm. If the kids are a pain in the arse, it's time to leave.

Anyone that let's their kid play on a tablet or whatever with the volume on full is fair game for execution.

On the flip side, anyone going to Pizza Express on a Saturday at 17.00 and complains about the number of kids in said restaurant is as thick as the parents in the opening post.

Their kids were immaculately behaved, albeit clearly desperate to get out of there. Its the yobbo parents who were the problem.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm pretty sure I read that if you are in Wetherspoons and in charge of a child or children they will only serve you two alcoholic drinks max. Commendable if true.

I think their rule is if you are a child they’ll only serve you two alcoholic drinks.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can’t stand young kids in pubs. It’s boring for them and as a result they usually end up end spoiling the adult environment for everyone else with apparent obliviousness from their parents.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It is an expression introduced to me by a friend 30 odd years ago, when I remarked on the completely different way the locals treated children in Vancouver compared with what I'd left behind in London. Never smacking them. Always explaining. It was brought home to me when I came back home in 86, watching mothers screaming at their kids and slapping them in supermarkets while nobody batted an eye; one monther dangling her toddler on his reigns and kicking him (in a desultory fashion, not hard) on the street. Things have improved hugely here in 30 years, but we Brits were always about 'seen and not heard'. That is not the doctrine of a child loving society. That's how kids get taken down the pub and ignored while the parents get pissed, and nobody says anything.

Well I can't comment on that far back as I was only a kid myself (don't remember my childhood nor my mates' being traumatic in that sense!), but that sounds great in Canada - certainly seem to have been ahead of the game in terms of treatment of kids.

Personally having lived in the far East and south America I never once thought perhaps at home we're not a child loving society. The opposite in the far East; where I lived children from a young age are often pushed to within an inch of sanity (or to depression etc) in terms of pressure with education etc just to uphold family respect, and children with learning disabilities hidden away as almost bringing shame on the family, for example.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I am not against family pubs with sport but this is the reason I do not go in them.
So, is it time to bring back the geezers pub?
Good selection of drinks.
Sport.
Strippers.
Roast potatoes on the bar.
Pickled eggs to pop in your bag of cheese and onion.
Topless barmaids.
Proper, covered/heated smoking area.
Ladies are allowed of course (if they don't mind looking at clunge)
NO KIDS (obviously)
Why can't a bloke have a man cave after a hard weeks graft.
I see I’m the first ( bravest) to give your post a thumbs up - admittedly having first looked over my shoulder to ensure Lady Gall wasn’t checking. I doubt that I will be given permission to attend such an establishment so I’ll have to rely on the rest of you to tell me what it’s like, though I still have fond memories of the Ship in Lewes Road.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Their kids were immaculately behaved, albeit clearly desperate to get out of there. Its the yobbo parents who were the problem.

That's where the 3 pints max rule comes in, in my dictatorship that I have been sadly unable to enforce. Kids get bored in pubs. Anything over an hour and it's unfair on them. When my kids were that age, once they were bored shitless of the colouring in, it was time to do one.Sadly,taking your kids down the battle cruiser all afternoon for a bender watching the cup final with school the next day for at least one of them, would suggest it's all about them rather than the kids.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Only ever take my nipper if it's for a meal, then only after checking with the staff if it's ok.
We're lucky he's very well behaved. If he was a problem, we wouldn't do it.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
England has never been a 'child loving' society. When I lived in Canada if that had happened the police would have been called. Not least because you have to be 21 to get into a pub there.

Incidentally, why did nobody call the police? I think it is because we tolerate chavs too easily in this country.

Do you honestly believe that the police would have attended?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Stick the kids in the back of the car, bung them a Coca-Cola and a packet of crisps/Mars Bar, have a couple of pints, drive home. Well, it never did me any harm.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Stick the kids in the back of the car, bung them a Coca-Cola and a packet of crisps/Mars Bar, have a couple of pints, drive home. Well, it never did me any harm.

In the back of the car? I had to sit on the doorstep of the pub and be brought out coke and crisps occasionally.
The Royal George (I think, opposite Holmbush now) in Shoreham, early 1970s.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In the back of the car? I had to sit on the doorstep of the pub and be brought out coke and crisps occasionally.
The Royal George (I think, opposite Holmbush now) in Shoreham, early 1970s.

In the era of my childhood (iate 40s early 50s) very few people had cars and coca cola hadn't found its way to pubs. Under 14s were banned from entering so it was sit outside with a glass of lemonade and a packet of crisps. Standards have gone down since then. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports