Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Parental advice needed for a father of a 14 year old ref.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Red card the coaches, if they refuse to leave the vicinity of the pitch, abandon the game.

And don't forget if the coaches give a false name, it's a further offence, which the league will have to deal with.

On a more serious approach:

I think whether your son continues to ref, really comes down to how long is he affected by the abuse, if its all forgotten about by Monday morning, then while the abuse is not acceptable, if he wants to continue then I would continue to support him.

If he is showing signs of still being affected into the start of school week, then whether or not he wants to continue, I would be telling him, as a minimum he needs a break, and look to become involved again in some younger age group tournaments during the summer to built his confidence back up.

Whatever is decided, just support your son as you already are.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Red card the coaches, if they refuse to leave the vicinity of the pitch, abandon the game.

And don't forget if the coaches give a false name, it's a further offence, which the league will have to deal with.

On a more serious approach:

I think whether your son continues to ref, really comes down to how long is he affected by the abuse, if its all forgotten about by Monday morning, then while the abuse is not acceptable, if he wants to continue then I would continue to support him.

If he is showing signs of still being affected into the start of school week, then whether or not he wants to continue, I would be telling him, as a minimum he needs a break, and look to become involved again in some younger age group tournaments during the summer to built his confidence back up.

Whatever is decided, just support your son as you already are.
You expect a 14 year old to red card adult coaches, who are abusing him anyway, and potentially abandon a match? Please get real. I’d imagine he was frightened, especially as his dad had temporarily left the area. These arseholes need to be reported, to the FA and to their clubs.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You expect a 14 year old to red card adult coaches, who are abusing him anyway, and potentially abandon a match? Please get real. I’d imagine he was frightened, especially as his dad had temporarily left the area. These arseholes need to be reported, to the FA and to their clubs.
"On a more serious note"

No need to worry, I've made a mental note to dumb down my posts, so everyone can hopefully understand.

I will also look into whether the signature warning should be more explicit.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
@@@@@@@@@@

You’ve all given us so much to discuss.

Each and EVERY post on here has given us a discussion point.

Personally speaking I have never been more proud and grateful of being a member of NSC.

My son is happy now, he’s read the thread and personally I believe he’s going to continue.

There are always two sides to every story but regardless of that he’s my boy and his happiness and well being is of paramount importance to me
while I do need to remind him that life is sometimes hard and people are sometimes (even if they are unaware of it) arseholes.

Thanking you all (once again) for your support.
After experiencing that abuse, your son shows resilience in wanting to continue his interest in refereeing. I'm sure he would become a great referee.

As you have said, prioritise your son's happiness and well-being. If he doesn't enjoy it, stop.

Thanks to you and your son for talking about this.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Whilst I feel for your son I can guarantee most contributors to this thread have screamed obscenities at a ref during an Albion game. It starts at the highest level and trickles its way down. Like kids junior football level covering their mouths when speaking utterly ridiculous.
This argument is flawed, IMO. Firstly, while I'm not condoning shouting at referees, there is a world of difference between those who officiate in the PL and the people at the lowest levels of grass roots, many of whom reluctantly do it just to ensure games go ahead.

Secondly, the OP talks about coaches verbally abusing refs. If this was done at 'an Albion game', the staff would be (and have been, with our very own RDZ) punished.

As for your last bit, I've never seen that happen and, at all of the youth football matches I've been to, I've never seen TV cameras or microphones present to pick anything up!

Last edited:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
How do I play this? My 14 year old refereeing son has just left the field of play virtually in tears after receiving shit loads of criticism from both coaches this morning in a kids match.

Do I a) get him to dust himself down, encourage him to take it on the chin, tell him how he’s doing a great job under difficult circumstances (I.e working with 2 unqualified sometimes bias linos) and remind him how proud we are of him while still learning his trade doing an important role in a game he loves, and teach him the value of toughening up and taking the rough with the smooth.

or

b) email the league and tell them to shove it up their arses, it’s not worth the fuckin aggro.?

I’m 56 years old I’m seriously learning towards option b)

Is option a) a better choice?

Thanks in advance
So sorry to hear of your lad’s experience. I’ve been involved in youth football for many years and sadly this type of thing is not uncommon - even though you’re supposed to have passed a safeguarding course to be a coach.

Quite recently one of our club officials had to ref a youth match because there simply aren’t enough refs. He got a lot of dreadful abuse from opposition parents who thought it unfair and absurd that we couldn’t get a proper ref. When I challenged them that the reason why there aren’t enough refs is because of people like them, sadly they just didn’t accept or get it. The problem is that most of them are pig ignorant and have no idea ( or desire to understand) what it’s like to run kids’ football or indeed any voluntary activity.

In your shoes I would:
* report your experience to the safeguarding officers at both clubs
* report it to the League and copy to the Sussex FA safeguarding team ( they need to know that this happened and the FA is spending a lot of money on advertising currently about this type of negative behaviour).

Finally I’d show your son the posts on this thread. We’re right behind him.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Whilst I feel for your son I can guarantee most contributors to this thread have screamed obscenities at a ref during an Albion game. It starts at the highest level and trickles its way down. Like kids junior football level covering their mouths when speaking utterly ridiculous.
Nope, I haven't screamed obscenities at a ref! An eyeroll or maybe a quiet mumbled ffs, but usually the ffs is directed at the player for doing something wrong. A quiet wtf & raised eyebrows if the ref is in the wrong. However if I'm at home watching on the TV and VAR make a stupid decision then I have been known to say 'oh f**k off' to the tv!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I do think a 14 year old should not be refereeing 13 year olds, it’s asking for trouble as the average 13 yo is not going to respect a 14 yo. Doesn’t excuse the coaches though.
As kids get older having a ‘proper’ ref becomes more and more important. My elder son (15) has had the opposition coach ref too often this season because there are not enough refs. It has a negative effect on the match to the result that a couple of matches have been farcical.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We want to teach respect at junior level football but look at some of the vile abuse Premier League refs get. Everyone thinks they can do better on here but they wouldn’t.
The league refs can't do anything about the crowd but they can about players and most of the time they don't which is the behaviour that filters down to grassroots players and how they believe they can get away with the same behaviour.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I do think a 14 year old should not be refereeing 13 year olds, it’s asking for trouble as the average 13 yo is not going to respect a 14 yo. Doesn’t excuse the coaches though.
As kids get older having a ‘proper’ ref becomes more and more important. My elder son (15) has had the opposition coach ref too often this season because there are not enough refs. It has a negative effect on the match to the result that a couple of matches have been farcical.
I've watched Bobkin Jnr's matches where this has happened - and the 'ref' has been coaching 'his' players during the game! Bonkers.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So sorry to hear that.

Certainly contact the FA and also consider Ref Support on Twitter, he’s excellent

IMG_2814.jpeg

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Write to the league and include a factual referees report from your son (or vice versa). The refs report should request a 5 match touchline ban for both sets of coaches. Then, a mix of A and B for your son - you are doing a good job, mate 👍

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
How do I play this? My 14 year old refereeing son has just left the field of play virtually in tears after receiving shit loads of criticism from both coaches this morning in a kids match.

Do I a) get him to dust himself down, encourage him to take it on the chin, tell him how he’s doing a great job under difficult circumstances (I.e working with 2 unqualified sometimes bias linos) and remind him how proud we are of him while still learning his trade doing an important role in a game he loves, and teach him the value of toughening up and taking the rough with the smooth.

or

b) email the league and tell them to shove it up their arses, it’s not worth the fuckin aggro.?

Thanks in advance
hey mate , i haven't read all replies but maybe message the league and ask them to send an observer down to a game .......this is and has been a massive problem and adults really , really should know better , if they cant behave themselves then they fine the club involved or deduct points ......alternatively spark the fuckers out.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The league refs can't do anything about the crowd but they can about players and most of the time they don't which is the behaviour that filters down to grassroots players and how they believe they can get away with the same behaviour.
Refs in the premier are scared and it’s down to the law makers. Dissent could be cleared in a season for example.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

or

Thanks in advance
Both I think. The coaches definitely need blowing up. Or they'll just keep doing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here