Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic-buying lightbulbs....

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I expect you know that in a ludicrous gesture to appease the green fascists, the Labour government have banned the sale of conventional lightbulbs this year. I went around a couple of DIY stores last night and stocked up on 60W and 40W bulbs but the shelves were bare of 100Watters. However all is not lost, there is a hardware shop in Portslade that still has some 100W bulbs left - but not as many as they did have! With a bit of luck the Winker household will be adequately lit for several years which will give someone time to develop a low energy bulb that actually works without buzzing, flickering, polluting the air with mercury vapour and costing a fortune before blowing up after 5 minutes.

It would of course have been better if the government had waited until a replacement was available before imposing a ban on the old ones, but when was the last time these incompetents did anything sensible and practical?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They have thousands of them at Maxims in Wivelsfield. I'm sure they'd sell you a few.

bigbadbonkingbob

Aug 21, 2006
I expect you know that in a ludicrous gesture to appease the green fascists, the Labour government have banned the sale of conventional lightbulbs this year. I went around a couple of DIY stores last night and stocked up on 60W and 40W bulbs but the shelves were bare of 100Watters. However all is not lost, there is a hardware shop in Portslade that still has some 100W bulbs left - but not as many as they did have! With a bit of luck the Winker household will be adequately lit for several years which will give someone time to develop a low energy bulb that actually works without buzzing, flickering, polluting the air with mercury vapour and costing a fortune before blowing up after 5 minutes.

It would of course have been better if the government had waited until a replacement was available before imposing a ban on the old ones, but when was the last time these incompetents did anything sensible and practical?

I envy you your life. If only my life was so free of concerns that the replacement of conventional lightbulbs was a topic worthy of my annoyance.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I envy you your life. If only my life was so free of concerns that the replacement of conventional lightbulbs was a topic worthy of my annoyance.

What annoys me is that something cheap, simple and effective has been replaced with something that doesn't work as well, costs 20 times as much and all done for a quick political headline.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
candle-light-photography.jpg

Yet another radical idea. It even improves the apperance of your totty

bigbadbonkingbob

Aug 21, 2006
What annoys me is that something cheap, simple and effective has been replaced with something that doesn't work as well, costs 20 times as much and all done for a quick political headline.

They work every bit as well, they don't cost anything like twenty times as much unless you shop like a goon (and in fact based on lifespan, there's an argument that they cost less), and the motivation for doing it is irrelevant. It isn't worth getting upset about, there's plenty of evil and injustice in the world that's in greater need of your anger.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
i know its only a minor detail but i thought it was the EU that was banning conventional bulbs and not the labour government

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The thing I object to is that some things are described as green, yet do more damage to the enviroment, yet the consumer choice is being taken away.

It has been reported that more electricity has to be generated to power these bulbs than normal bulbs due to way the energy saving bulbs work -

then there is the mercury that is mined and used in the bulbs, and the potential health risks from when a bulb breaks, and the lack of information about proper disposal as hazardous waste, rather than the damaneg they might do if sent to landfill sites.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Total bollocks, in every respect.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This whole green issue is starting to sound like a big con to me, aimed at getting people to happily pay a higher price for something, and also to generate more tax income for the Government. It also sounds like a way to get people to go out and spend money on things that they really don't need to replace, maybe it is being done just to try to stimulate sales in the retail industry (especially as the economy is stuttering)

It means the Goverment can tax what they like and argue that it is being done to save the planet, which means that everyone accepts what they say as being true and don't question it.

For example - If the Government were so worried about global warning and damage to the environment then why are they going to force everyone to switch to digital TV's etc, which use upto 20 times the power of the traditional analogue systems currently used. - due to the switch over by 2012. and what happens to all the old redundant equipment too?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They work every bit as well, they don't cost anything like twenty times as much unless you shop like a goon (and in fact based on lifespan, there's an argument that they cost less)

only they dont work as well, they do cost significantly more to buy, dont last any longer, are far more polluting on a life cycle basis. we've been sold a pup.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
only they dont work as well, they do cost significantly more to buy, dont last any longer, are far more polluting on a life cycle basis. we've been sold a pup.

Not sure which ones I've been buying but they last far far longer than the conventional ones.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This whole green issue is starting to sound like a big con to me, aimed at getting people to happily pay a higher price for something, and also to generate more tax income for the Government. It also sounds like a way to get people to go out and spend money on things that they really don't need to replace, maybe it is being done just to try to stimulate sales in the retail industry (especially as the economy is stuttering)

It means the Goverment can tax what they like and argue that it is being done to save the planet, which means that everyone accepts what they say as being true and don't question it.

For example - If the Government were so worried about global warning and damage to the environment then why are they going to force everyone to switch to digital TV's etc, which use upto 20 times the power of the traditional analogue systems currently used. - due to the switch over by 2012. and what happens to all the old redundant equipment too?

You don't have to switch to a "digital television", whatever that is. Just the equipment to receive a digital signal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here