Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace 'Holmesdale Fanatics' protest against Sky Sports

For a start, it wouldn't hurt - seeing as they are having a second season in the top flight - for Palace to re-build their deathtrap of a ground. I've nothing against any ground's design which pays lip servive to tradition and history, but let's have it done safely.

Death trap of a ground? It's the same one that had 50000 in during our lifetime, at the same time we got 34000 into The Goldstone that during its last season was restricted to 11000, how much more do some people want to sanitise football grounds in this country? (and yes, I like Kenilworth Rd too!)

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
I know a few palace fans too, and again they're decent enough people. All but one of them rarely go though; its a common defining feature of Palace fans, they declare allegiance when things are on the up, only go to play-off finals/to see their first team and they stay very very quiet when they are doing badly.

Same old boring trotted out line from one of the same fellers who forget to mention Brighton fans (rightly or wrongly) disappeared until the new stadium. Having just finished 11th in the topflight seems to be entirely contradictory to you saying 'they stay very quiet when doing badly' well...we're really not doing badly.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The most shocking stat that comes out of this transfer window for me (even beyond the fact that Falcao is a £6 million LOAN deal) is the fact that Di Maria cost more than Burnley have spent on players in their entire existence*.

Is that purely down to Sky/Sky Sports, I don't know, but it must have some sort of effect.

*Disclaimer: I think that's right, anyway...

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Same old boring trotted out line from one of the same fellers who forget to mention Brighton fans (rightly or wrongly) disappeared until the new stadium. Having just finished 11th in the topflight seems to be entirely contradictory to you saying 'they stay very quiet when doing badly' well...we're really not doing badly.

Didn't realise you'd lost your ground and found it once you'd got back to the premiership. That excuses the sudden rebirth. Apologise for not keeping up.

Didn't say you were doing badly but it's a fact that you only crawl out when you're in the top flight.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Didn't realise you'd lost your ground and found it once you'd got back to the premiership. That exclusions the sudden rebirth. Apologise for not keeping up.

Then how about I point out its entire irrelevance to the thread in question given that the HF were around since November 05 and therefore were there before us going up to the Premiership again?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Death trap of a ground? It's the same one that had 50000 in during our lifetime, at the same time we got 34000 into The Goldstone that during its last season was restricted to 11000, how much more do some people want to sanitise football grounds in this country? (and yes, I like Kenilworth Rd too!)

Who's talking about sanitising it? You could hardly call the Goldstone - whether the capacity was 34,000 or 11,000 - 'sanitised'. The capacity was reduced because the terraces were crumbling, and this was at the time when football chairmen really didn't give a toss about spectator safety.

The 'seats' (sorry, firewood nailed to the ground) at Selhurst Park are not easy to navigate, and in the event of an emergency, would be bloody difficult to get out of.

Just because it's on the same site, it's pushing it to call it the 'same ground'. There were nearly 52,000 people for a game in 1979 probably quite dangerously packed into the big terrace they had. Just reading the Palace forums, they're saying there was talk of nearly 60,000 - way over capacity.

They can retain their architecture if they so wish; just make what's there a bit safer.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Then how about I point out its entire irrelevance to the thread in question given that the HF were around since November 05 and therefore were there before us going up to the Premiership again?
My observation wasn't about your little bunch of euro trash fans - it was referring to palace fans generally.

Do you not cringe at what you call the HF though?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm not too sure whether the state of the English game is any better with the financial gains of Sky.

The grounds are much better but that would have happened after the Taylor report, investment into academy / junior football is much larger that said this is the same in all sports a lot of it funded by Sport England / Lottery.

The only big change is players earning inflated salaries which the average fan can only dream of and an influx of average overseas players chasing big money and spoiling the development of our home grown players.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Who's talking about sanitising it? You could hardly call the Goldstone - whether the capacity was 34,000 or 11,000 - 'sanitised'. The capacity was reduced because the terraces were crumbling, and this was at the time when football chairmen really didn't give a toss about spectator safety.

The 'seats' (sorry, firewood nailed to the ground) at Selhurst Park are not easy to navigate, and in the event of an emergency, would be bloody difficult to get out of.

Just because it's on the same site, it's pushing it to call it the 'same ground'. There were nearly 52,000 people for a game in 1979 probably quite dangerously packed into the big terrace they had. Just reading the Palace forums, they're saying there was talk of nearly 60,000 - way over capacity.

They can retain their architecture if they so wish; just make what's there a bit safer.

Haven't they replaced the wooden seats with those cheap plastic bucket seats that were in fashion at Conference stadia a decade ago ?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with the sentiment, however I disagree strenuously with the execution. Forgetting it was the HF/Palace or A Prem team for a second, I read a lot of posts on here that have exactly the same point of view. Sky has ruined football to the extent that its meant the likes of Palace or Brighton will never be able to win the topflight without first getting a multibillionaire foreign owner. Sky has ruined football to the extent that one week of wages from Rooney would be able to wipe out the debts of the vast majority of the sides in the conference put together. Its wrong.

Yes we are taking the Sky money, but what do you expect a club in a competition to do? Refuse to go up?

Now as for the way the protest was handled - it was dead wrong. They deliberately went out to create an intimidatory atmosphere knowing full well that it was likely to terrify young kids/bystanders who were there. They could have made a peaceful protest that would have won far more supporters. However, whilst accepting that what they did tonight was wrong, or at least the way they went about it I can still be proud of the atmosphere they've created at Selhurst.

Absolutely right.

I've posted this before but I think it's now possibly time to accept that 'the battle for the soul of football' has been lost; to allow Man Utd & Chelsea etc to go off and join their Pepsi/Halliburton Globo-League with Real Madrid and LA Galaxy and leave us to our beautiful game.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011

Just a point of order here please, There are no wooden seats left in the ground. Please cross this terrible slant off the Albion anti Palace checklist. Thanks.

Edit - See Soggy has already mentioned.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
My observation wasn't about your little bunch of euro trash fans - it was referring to palace fans generally.

Do you not cringe at what you call the HF though?

Then your observation was entirely irrelevant to what these thread is about. Do I cringe at a group of fans that got together in order to try and get a bit of atmosphere going at Palace and who along with others marched to RBS and demonstrated outside for hours to convince them it was better for their public image to sell the ground back to the club? No not really.

Like I said before, the sentiment is correct, the execution was not. Had they behaved that way at RBS we would have gone bust. Instead they demonstrated by showing their love for the club in a peaceful but passionate manner. Last night was embarrassing but no the HF don't make me cringe

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Haven't they replaced the wooden seats with those cheap plastic bucket seats that were in fashion at Conference stadia a decade ago ?

Would make little sense replacing the wooden seats with the top of the range super comfort padded prawn sandwich versions if the stands are to be rebuilt in the near future.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Have you not answered your own question?
It wasn't really a question however now you come to mention it, the answer is "no" the state of the English game is not any better with the financial gains of Sky.

The Albion will benefit from it one day and most fans will be doing cartwheels celebrating the purchase of loads of Spanish players who are bench warmers in the Spanish League or signing a Premier player who is past his sell by date like Kevin Doyle on an inflated salary and signing on fee. Take the money from Sky and squander it for short term gain.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

Equally however, surely the "modern football" they are opposed to started before Nov 05? Or is it "modern, modern football" they reject? Where's your cut off point for when football went bad?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I like the November 5th connection.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Would make little sense replacing the wooden seats with the top of the range super comfort padded prawn sandwich versions if the stands are to be rebuilt in the near future.

So the whole point of the cladding was to cover up the rusting metal stands before CPFC2010 have to shell out on some breeze blocks from B&Q ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here