Palace game tonight laughably cringworthy !!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Actually I will not. I just want one of the clever trousers on here who claim that history books tell of the Weed being National Champions in 1910 to prove it.
Otherwise you cannot be taken seriously.
Who can't be taken seriously? I have no idea whom were considered champions of England in 1910. Have you got some evidence to show whom it was? I guess it could have been Brighton, but I've never claimed that. You seem desperate to claim that all Brighton fans are deluded because you disagree with the opinion of a couple of them.

Congrats on a very good first season back in the Championship though.

lankygit

Dec 1, 2011
Lincoln
Who can't be taken seriously? I have no idea whom were considered champions of England in 1910. Have you got some evidence to show whom it was? I guess it could have been Brighton, but I've never claimed that. You seem desperate to claim that all Brighton fans are deluded because you disagree with the opinion of a couple of them.

1. The posters who claimed Brighton were 1910 national champions are the ones who cannot be taken seriously.
2. Aston Villa were champions in 1910, hence the reason Brighton, as Southern League champions, contested the Charity Shield with them. Evidence of Villa being champions that year can be found in any contemporary book, or internet site, that lists League Champions.
3. I never insinuated that you, personally, claimed Brighton were 1910 champions.
4. I do not claim all your fans are deluded, just the ones who make silly claims to fame. Neither am I desperate to do so, sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

I will state, however, that even the non deluded amongst you seem to close ranks around those who are. Instead of admitting the posters who made ridiculous claims were wrong, all I seem to get is mild abuse and questions as to what silverware Palace have won.
Just to clarify the situation, and so as to not hurt the feelings of the innocent, the posters who made the unfounded claims are, namely, Working Class Pride and ofco8.
Interestingly, and predictably, they have been conspicuous by their absence on this thread since being challenged to back their claims up with evidence.
Another poster Horsham Gull has, to his credit, tried to help them out. Unfortunately he has failed to grasp what is contentious, and has posted a link and a photograph that merely confirm the Weed won the Charity Shield in 1910. Nothing to back up claims of being national champions though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Aston Villa were champions in 1910, hence the reason Brighton, as Southern League champions, contested the Charity Shield with them.
Trying to learn why these claims have been made: weren't southern teams ineligible to be in the same division as Aston Villa, making it impossible for Villa to be Champions of England when some parts of the country weren't able to enter?

Instead of admitting the posters who made ridiculous claims were wrong, all I seem to get is mild abuse
This is outrageous. I suggest you report the abusive posts to the mods.

lankygit

Dec 1, 2011
Lincoln
:clap2:
try not to get relegated , oh yeh and f*** RITE OFF...!

I`ll do my best not to get relegated, thank you, though I thought we stopped relegation to the colonies in the 1800`s. I am a law abiding citizen anyway, so my chances of falling foul of the relegation system are slim.
Nice eloquent use of the English language there too. You can hold your head high.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
1. The posters who claimed Brighton were 1910 national champions are the ones who cannot be taken seriously.
2. Aston Villa were champions in 1910, hence the reason Brighton, as Southern League champions, contested the Charity Shield with them. Evidence of Villa being champions that year can be found in any contemporary book, or internet site, that lists League Champions.
3. I never insinuated that you, personally, claimed Brighton were 1910 champions.
4. I do not claim all your fans are deluded, just the ones who make silly claims to fame. Neither am I desperate to do so, sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

I will state, however, that even the non deluded amongst you seem to close ranks around those who are. Instead of admitting the posters who made ridiculous claims were wrong, all I seem to get is mild abuse and questions as to what silverware Palace have won.
Just to clarify the situation, and so as to not hurt the feelings of the innocent, the posters who made the unfounded claims are, namely, Working Class Pride and ofco8.
Interestingly, and predictably, they have been conspicuous by their absence on this thread since being challenged to back their claims up with evidence.
Another poster Horsham Gull has, to his credit, tried to help them out. Unfortunately he has failed to grasp what is contentious, and has posted a link and a photograph that merely confirm the Weed won the Charity Shield in 1910. Nothing to back up claims of being national champions though.

To keep working away on this thread in the manner that you've adopted clearly demonstrates pronounced classic compulsive/obsessive tendencies.

Consequently, I realise that it would be a total waste of time to suggest to you to go and get a life away from a rival club's board.

I do however believe that it would be to the advantage of your long term mental stability to seek urgent medical attention.

lankygit

Dec 1, 2011
Lincoln
Trying to learn why these claims have been made: weren't southern teams ineligible to be in the same division as Aston Villa, making it impossible for Villa to be Champions of England when some parts of the country weren't able to enter?

This is outrageous. I suggest you report the abusive posts to the mods.

No mate, southern teams were not ineligible for the Football League at the time. Spurs, (Woolwich) Arsenal, Bristol C., Fulham, Clapton(now Leyton) Orient and Chelsea were then members.

Your, probably unwitting, use of double irony proves my point. I am not complaining though as I expect to be the object of banter on our biggest rivals board. Let`s keep it clean and good humoured though ( not saying you, yourself, don`t ).

See the post from Diego Napier as a case in point. Funny? well yes it is, in a puerile way. Informative and useful to the debate? not really, just another that can`t or can`t be bothered to throw some light on the subject in question.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No mate, southern teams were not ineligible for the Football League at the time.
So why were the winners of the southern league in the Charity Shield if the southern league didn't mean anything?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No mate, southern teams were not ineligible for the Football League at the time. Spurs, (Woolwich) Arsenal, Bristol C., Fulham, Clapton(now Leyton) Orient and Chelsea were then members.

Your, probably unwitting, use of double irony proves my point. I am not complaining though as I expect to be the object of banter on our biggest rivals board. Let`s keep it clean and good humoured though ( not saying you, yourself, don`t ).

See the post from Diego Napier as a case in point. Funny? well yes it is, in a puerile way. Informative and useful to the debate? not really, just another that can`t or can`t be bothered to throw some light on the subject in question.

Although puerile in your eyes, it is simply a sound diagnosis.

Just feel really sorry for you fella but I know you won't be able to understand.

lankygit

Dec 1, 2011
Lincoln
So why were the winners of the southern league in the Charity Shield if the southern league didn't mean anything?

I am not 100% sure on this so please don`t pull me up on it, but I think it was the fact that pro football in the south was in it`s infancy, if you will, compared to the north.
As it was a charity match, two professional clubs would attract more spectators than the previous amateur v professional format, hence more money to charity. Also I believe it was to promote the image of the pro game in the south. It is more than 40 years since I read up on this and I cannot, with certainty, name the publication I remember it from. It could have been the Caxton Press four volume Association Football set of the early sixties though which my dad bought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports