Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace fans: questions they should ask themselves...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I along with the majority of the Palace fans were disgusted by the behaviour of a few morons, and we all know who they are, at the game on Tuesday.

Apart from their dangerous and unacceptable behaviour at the turnstiles, they forcibly evicted fellow fans from their seats behind the goal having set off flares at the back which sent smoke into the boxes above. When we were held in the concourse after the match, they thought it funny to lob bangers onto the fans near the shutters. They have no respect for anybody and think they are the official fan club, they are not!

With the current terrorist threat it is both a thoughtless and criminal act. So please don't associate all the Palace fans with this behaviour, it has happened before eg at Wembley v Spurs, we like you love the banter and intensity of these fixtures and long may that continue.

I would also like the positive side of our rivalry to be given more press coverage. The REMF game is a superb initiative and it is a pleasure to attend these games for such a good cause, it deserves national coverage. Like Brighton, most of our fans are decent and well behaved but their fireworks killed the atmosphere.

Great post.....

Seagulls perm

Banned
Apr 20, 2017
Should have added was that the final insult was the train home , to Seaford. Waited in ground until I thought palace fans had all gone back to Croydon. How wrong was I.not only were about 100 still on the platform, it had to be segregated AS WAS THE TRAIN back to Seaford. All squeezed in to 2 carriages to preserve public order. A farce. Time to put an end to this fiasco of a fixture.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The dim witted in Croydon blame the Albion and the police. They should have worked harder at school, although you need something to work from otherwise it’s wasted effort. We move on, they can’t, it’s their life

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
BHAFC got it wrong in what way- by expecting adult Crystal Palace supporters to act like adults? What was the ratio of BHA stewards to CP stewards at the South Stand entrance for away fans? To my mind there are no others to blame for this trouble than Crystal Palace supporters. Trying to shift the blame fits right with that awful club.
I disagree.

Steve Parish is partly responsible for encouraging this 'always ultra' part of the support, encouraging them to dress so that it's difficult for the police to prosecute them, and giving them tickets to dish out as they see fit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A lot of bed-wetting on here.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I along with the majority of the Palace fans were disgusted by the behaviour of a few morons, and we all know who they are, at the game on Tuesday.

Apart from their dangerous and unacceptable behaviour at the turnstiles, they forcibly evicted fellow fans from their seats behind the goal having set off flares at the back which sent smoke into the boxes above. When we were held in the concourse after the match, they thought it funny to lob bangers onto the fans near the shutters. They have no respect for anybody and think they are the official fan club, they are not!

With the current terrorist threat it is both a thoughtless and criminal act. So please don't associate all the Palace fans with this behaviour, it has happened before eg at Wembley v Spurs, we like you love the banter and intensity of these fixtures and long may that continue.

I would also like the positive side of our rivalry to be given more press coverage. The REMF game is a superb initiative and it is a pleasure to attend these games for such a good cause, it deserves national coverage. Like Brighton, most of our fans are decent and well behaved but their fireworks killed the atmosphere.

I would be interested to know have the football authorities ever taken any action against Palace for the hooligan actions of some of their fans. I have read newspaper articles that have stated that Palace would face stiff penalties, which their have been many in the last 18 months. Incidents such as the Burnley Player struck by a lighter thrown at him at Selhurst, Flares thrown on the pitch at Selhurst against Liverpool, Flares let off in the stands at Chelsea, the attack on Spurs fans in a bar recently and the total havoc caused by Palace fans at Charing Cross station and Covent garden by a huge number of Palace fans. So what happened at the Amex is not an isolated incident involving Palace fans, which has always been reported that the club could face harsh sanctions, but as yet I have not seen any taken by the toothless football authorities. And for the many Palace fans blaming Brighton for what happened do they include Burnley, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea in the their blame culture for not controlling the Palace hooligans?

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Can we move on from this now, Liverpool tomorrow! Whilst a very worthwhile debate after Tuesday, there are multiple threads on it. I think we need to forget about those dirtbags up the road.

But surely the Scouse hordes are about to raze the City to the ground in 5,4,3,....?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Couldn't agree more. The only way to stop the events of Tuesday night escalating further in the future would be to instigate an away fan ban for a few seasons.

In my opinion, the rise of social media has a big part to play in events. Before Facebook, Twitter and online forums, the expression of hatred between supporters of both sides was limited to maybe a couple of weeks either side of both fixtures in the season and at that, mainly paper talk. Now it's a constant all year round fuelled by keyboard warriors and worryingly, becoming more than just banter. Someone is going to get seriously hurt or, God forbid, killed if dramatic action isn't taken NOW (and I don't mean to belittle the injuries suffered by the two stewards who were trying to do their jobs).

I don't remember anything like that the last time we played them at the Goldstone, or the matches at Withdean. Even the previous games at the Amex didn't endure that level of intimidation. I was at the 0-5 at Sellhurst and the 1-0 and on both occasions the atmosphere did not feel of intimidation (even when corralled by the Police an hour after the 0-5).

And yes, I'm another Speccy T**t who's seriously considering not bothering to use his ST next time round.

There are idiots on both sides, but the HF have taken things to new depths. If everyone thinks the Policing was bad on Tuesday, what's it going to be like in the future?

Banning away supporters would encourage the same crowd to travel and cause problems. They desperately want to create some sort of identity. They weren't around 6 or 7 years ago, the club effectively sponsor them, they were 'created' to generate some atmosphere in a dreadfully quite and half empty Selhurst. The club have given them power, that was the deal and the dozen spotty oiks originally has grown. It has grown because every single other club wants to disown groups purporting to be some sort of a firm. Black clad balaclava wearing numpties doesn't sit well with every single other club other than cpfc. As a result you have non cofc fans turning up for 'a bit of fun'. They don't give a monkeys about cpfc or the 'original' fans or even the 10k plastics that only turn up in the prem.

Decent palace fans, of which there are many, don't like it. They hate the fact that the club give preferential treatment to these clowns. The silence of the club in condemning the people they have supported is deafening. Unfortunately many other cpfc fans love finally having some sort of identity, something to be known for. They won't when each and every one of them is negatively effected by them, which they will all be in time. It will be interesting when sponsors start to distance themselves, which is inevitable. The desire to create a eurostrash/south american support style is apt given that clubs in europe/SA have suffered from given up control to groups such as the sadly names ultras.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Great post, I totally agree with all you say. The second half atmosphere was rubbish and it was due to those mindless thugs. Does it affect the players as well, of course it does. I'd like the return fixture to be played behind closed doors as a punishment for palace as I think it may well turn out that Albion fans are banned from Selhurst this year as we have mindless idiots as well who may well try for some sort of 'revenge'. Shutting our fans out would unfairly punish BHA whilst giving an advantage to palace who would benefit from the bad actions of their fans and the poor judgement of their chairman.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Can we move on from this now, Liverpool tomorrow! Whilst a very worthwhile debate after Tuesday, there are multiple threads on it. I think we need to forget about those dirtbags up the road.
I don't think we can move on while the blame is being shifted onto the albion to deflect away from the palace hoolies.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Good post, but as stated all the time your Chairman sponsors these Ultras nothing will change for you

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
m

The police told the Palace fans to go to the Wetherspoons as it was the designated away pub.
They started moving the Palace fans off to the game around 6 ish, and gave them a guided tour of Brighton, they finally arrived at the Amex near kick off .
There was no ticket checks along the route to the Amex, so the police created a situation were hundreds of boozed up Palace fans arrived with minutes to spare,a recipe for disaster.
Surely if they arrived earlier, adequate ticket checks could have weeded out the ticketless Palace fans, and the situation could have been avoided.
Also the Brighton stadium manager stopped all admissions, ( as confirmed by Barber) but Palace fans were later admitted at half time.
Lessons to be learned by everyone .

Yes exactly my original point. Any Palace fans who didn't have the sheep mentality to join "the mob" on West Street and simply went to the AMEX in good time would have experienced none of the police guided tour or late arrival. There were 2 Nigels ahead of me in the train queue to Falmer at 6:15 and I expect they had a nice peaceful pint on the concourse until your late arrivals came barging in. As I said before if Palace fans didn't imagine themselves to be an invasion task force they would have a far better experience.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

Fair comments Kayla's Claw; I have no issue with the majority of Palace fans - same people as us. But there are two groups among your fans who need to grow-up 1) those who imagine they are on an SAS mission into enemy territory, and 2) those who reckon everything on Tuesday was the fault of BHAFC and the police.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lessons to be learned by everyone .
So you're not condemning the Palace fans then, you're suggesting this was as much Brighton's fault :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe there's a question here Albion fans should ask themselves.

Is it time to move on from this?

Other than an outrage a palace doing nothing, or hopefully a nod of appreciation when the banning orders are handed out, surely surprise at their messageboard wanting to blame the Albion, isn't surprising at all.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Maybe there's a question here Albion fans should ask themselves.

Is it time to move on from this?

Other than an outrage a palace doing nothing, or hopefully a nod of appreciation when the banning orders are handed out, surely surprise at their messageboard wanting to blame the Albion, isn't surprising at all.

And their attempts to shift the blame warrant no debate at all?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And their attempts to shift the blame warrant no debate at all?
Not really as I'd be more surprised if they didn't.

I'd like to think the arrival of Liverpool would cleanse NSC, but I can't help thinking events on Tuesday will still dominate this evening.

We know what they are, they know what they are :lol:
We've all seen the footage, let them think what they like, let's stop feeding them and concentrate on the Albion.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That was my point - there appears to be an awful lot of moral outcry and concern for hardship suffered by some Palace fans.

Because it's going to have a huge knock on effect for Brighton fans in the away fixture. The moral outrage is entirely justified.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here