Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't know anyone who wasn't saying/thinking "hope we make it to half time and can reset"

For 5 minutes after they scored, yes, but for most of the first half we looked comfortable, and we came out after the break on the front foot, till the Pen.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
You're the first person I've come across that thought the game was anywhere near even.

They beat us comfortably.

No problem though they are good this year and it was a good wakeup call.

I'm not denying they beat us comfortably but I also don't think there was that much in it. Just the better side won on the day.. It was hardly like the Man City vs Arsenal game or the Chelsea vs Palace game.. We had most of the ball just as many shots as they did, they just defended better hit us on the break and took there chances the suggestion that we were awful is just wrong, we were good they were just better. It happens.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Please just ban this troll, he offers nothing and disappears when Palace lose
Same as Dougie then who is apparently close to a permanent ban.
They dealt with SE20 I don't understand how he keeps being given so much slack.
All he does is throw stink bombs in the room, shuts the door and runs.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
We were hanging on when they scored and they put the game to bed early in the second half.

They had 3 clear cut chances.
I don't recall us missing any big chances, but I could be wrong.

The possession stats only really show that the game was won and Everton had our number.
Happy to let us have the ball, because we wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now.

They are a good side with a gameplan, we had a three or four half chances they had 2 big chances not including the penalty. I think the penalty killed it off before that we were looking the better side early in the second half. After it went 2-0 they were just happy to put everyone behind the ball and counter which was there gameplan from the start anyway.

I don't think we were exceptionally good and we could have done better but I also don't think that was a shameful performance the way some people are going on.. Look at there squad FFS that's a top 8 side on paper and on there day they will beat pretty much everyone.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
They are a good side with a gameplan, we had a three or four half chances they had 2 big chances not including the penalty. I think the penalty killed it off before that we were looking the better side early in the second half. After it went 2-0 they were just happy to put everyone behind the ball and counter which was there gameplan from the start anyway.

I don't think we were exceptionally good and we could have done better but I also don't think that was a shameful performance the way some people are going on.. Look at there squad FFS that's a top 8 side on paper and on there day they will beat pretty much everyone.

Not a shameful performance at all, but worrying that we really never looked like scoring.

Last season there were only 2 games when I thought we looked similarly uncompetitive, Leicester and Arsenal away.
We were pretty lack lustre against Arsenal at home too, but we could have nicked something.

Other than that we put up strong performances against much better teams than Everton.
Early days, but I think our poor pre-season and squad changes are a bigger factor than the strength of the opposition.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Not a shameful performance at all, but worrying that we really never looked like scoring.

Last season there were only 2 games when I thought we looked similarly uncompetitive, Leicester and Arsenal away.
We were pretty lack lustre against Arsenal at home too, but we could have nicked something.

Other than that we put up strong performances against much better teams than Everton.
Early days, but I think our poor pre-season and squad changes are a bigger factor than the strength of the opposition.

I agree that we didn't create much, we could have scored from the freekick if we were sharper to the rebound and corners this season could be key, I think once we have a full strength team we'll be okay. It's hard no matter who your against when they put everyone behind the ball you are restricted to long shots and deflections. Everton did what they had to do.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So I took a break from this site about 2 weeks before the season started but now with the transfer deadline having passed I think now is a good time to post again.

I think pretty much everything I have said in the past has come true so far. To all those saying we had a small squad after the departures of a lot of players, I said to judge us after the transfer window. And what a window it was! Guehi, Olise, Andersen, Gallagher, Hughes and Edouard, all quality signings that I'm certain will prove to be better than the players that have left.

2 points from the first 3 games is no disgrace either given the opposition. The style under Vieria is already way better than Roy's turgid football, our possession stats are way higher, our XG is better and the football is more exciting and easy on the eye, especially the 2nd half away at West Ham where we outplayed them. What a performance that day by Connor Gallagher, feel we have an amazing talent in our ranks this season.

You lot have had a fairly decent start, 2 wins in the first 2 games but remember who you were playing. In your first real test you were majorily outclassed by Everton on your own patch.

You've kept Bissouma which is great for you and the left back looks decent on paper but you didn't replace White and I think that could be a big mistake. You also didn't get a striker in and I think that will come back to bite you. Maupay, Connelly and an injury prone Welbeck is just not gonna cut it at is level IMO.

Looking forward to the game on the 27th, I'm quietly confident.

You're winless after 3 matches and out of the League Cup.

I agree that Gallagher looks a tidy player - but he's not your player, he belongs to Chelsea. Of your other signings, none of them would get in our starting XI, while Edouard could be the next Palace Benteke. He's gone off the boil for Celtic, no one else was remotely interested at £70K per week and he wins Miss of The Weekend for his horror show vs Rangers.

Dutch international Veltman is ready to step into White's shoes once Lamptey returns to right back.

While I agree with you that we needed to sign a striker it's a bit rich a Palace fan telling me Maupay / Welbeck / Connolly won't cut it when they outscored your quartet of Benteke, Ayew, Batshuayi and Mateta 16 goals to 14 last season, and Maupay / Connolly outscored Benteke / Ayew 14-11 the season before that.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Palace have had five shots on target over 3 matches so far this season.

They have 2 points on the board.

Why the hell are they giving it large on this board !!?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Palace have had five shots on target over 3 matches so far this season.

They have 2 points on the board.

Why the hell are they giving it large on this board !!?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Because they've borrowed some bloke off Chelsea who had a good half of football and it's the first time in a decade they haven't looked like a one-man team.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Same as Dougie then who is apparently close to a permanent ban.
They dealt with SE20 I don't understand how he keeps being given so much slack.
All he does is throw stink bombs in the room, shuts the door and runs.

Reported for constant harassment.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
All we’ve done is put ourselves in a position where we can rebuild with the right type/ cost of player. Time will tell of course but as all seasons I’ll be happy with 40 points and another season to build on.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
All we’ve done is put ourselves in a position where we can rebuild with the right type/ cost of player. Time will tell of course but as all seasons I’ll be happy with 40 points and another season to build on.

Think you are about right, both clubs have been hit hard by the pandemic financially and both have cleared out many players to reset and balance the books, we are fortunate that our change in direction came about 2 or 3 years ago and our squad make up has been evolving for most of that time, whereas, CP are just embarking on their similar journey, we seem to have a number of supporters who’d rightly or wrongly like us to spend more money than the club deems prudent at the moment, only time will tell if this strategy is correct, though, I’m firmly in the category that the club knows best, which recent history suggests they do. Pal*ce have had no other option but to spend to replace out of contract and surplus playing staff which may have to continue into next summer if further contracts are allowed to ‘run down’ in your existing squad. I feel quietly confident in our clubs immediate future, hope you and your club have similar outcomes. Though it would be funny for us in the short term if expansive Pat were to fail but in the longer term I quite like being in and around your lot. No point having a competitive rival if you never play each other. Good luck but not too much.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

A realistic aim in a transitional season but I am still amazed how much slack Disney gets from your lot. All this time in the league with the buckets of PL cash and the club is someone left with an enormous rebuild on the pitch and crumbling infrastructure off it.

Genuine question is anyone questioning the mismanagement of the club?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Reported for constant harassment.
Coward.
ec222ce2bcd095242e869b1808ed2f01.jpg

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I offer you 6pts out of 9 at the beginning of the season.

Would you take it?

With the fixtures we had, I was expecting 6 from 9 and thought we had a chance of 7.
Yes I would have taken 6 and happy with what we've got points wise.
But I was one of the few posters on here who was happy with the performances last season and not too fussed that we weren't getting the points.
This season I would like to see progress in both performances and points, as I believe we should be at that stage now.

I would say we have had 3 good halves this season- 2 poor ones and 1 meh...
Overall I would say it's been a slow start with great results. Hopefully we can improve on the performances and still keep getting the points.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think this thread should be renamed, ‘Brighton fans biggest fear’

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here