Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I thought the idea of the new Palace stand was that they could accommodate all their fans in it when they return to the Championship ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Although I don’t know too much about the funding of the new mega super-duper stand, what I would worry about, if, God forbid, I was a Palace fan, is the fact that they have estimated a build cost of £150 million, but, haven’t appointed a construction company yet.

Shirley, it’s a bit arse about face, don’t you employ a contractor and then discuss budget with them as part of the negotiation of contracts?

I can’t see it being completed on budget, and in the time frame, these things never are.
I seem to remember reading recently about the HS2 debacle, where the guy who delivered HS1 noted they hadn't sought his advice. He noted one of the things he would have told them was to not make the budget public. He didn't for HS1 and delivered it under budget, they did for HS2, and from what I can recall from reading it, this lead to all the contractors coming in with recommendations for this and that each taking more of the budget, leading to spiralling costs and going massively over budget on HS2.

I imagine there are limits on what luxury items can be added to the design of a single stand at a football ground to drive the price up, but still, it could be a warning they should heed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As much as like the rivalry, I can't help but feel sad that the stand is unlikely to be built & that your ground is falling further into a state of disrepair. We've been there & done that, they ended up selling the land with no home to go to. There wasn't enough money to upgrade it, so the owners took the cash for themselves.

Our scummy owners didn't take the money because there wasn't enough to upgrade the ground, it was their plan to take the money because they're thieving ***** who will rot in hell.

Why are you all so trusting when you went into administration not that long ago?

Their owners are miles better than ours were.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Although I don’t know too much about the funding of the new mega super-duper stand, what I would worry about, if, God forbid, I was a Palace fan, is the fact that they have estimated a build cost of £150 million, but, haven’t appointed a construction company yet.

Shirley, it’s a bit arse about face, don’t you employ a contractor and then discuss budget with them as part of the negotiation of contracts?

I can’t see it being completed on budget, and in the time frame, these things never are.
The rise in material cost bankrupted the Buckingham group I don’t think a contractor will leave a substantial quote on the table for a lengthy period of time these days.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Your understanding of construction is completely wrong. The constructor is normally the last one appointed as they need to know what they are pricing and the client needs to know if they have enough money before appointing them.
I’m an estimator and work on projects for years before they get anywhere near construction. The current project I’m working on may go to tender next year for construction in 2027.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
so have got this wrong? With all the "its going ahead, we are finally getting our new stand" noise, I thought it was all sorted, with work basically due to start, but from all the above it seems that all thats happened is that they have been given planning permission again, as the last permission had time expired. There is no costing yet- just a rough guess that it will be 50% more, no tender gone out, . Have they actually sorted and brought the land they need from Sainsburys, and the soon(ish) to be displaced residents, or is this still all in Beakys head, and plans on the back of a napkin?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Your understanding of construction is completely wrong. The constructor is normally the last one appointed as they need to know what they are pricing and the client needs to know if they have enough money before appointing them.
I’m an estimator and work on projects for years before they get anywhere near construction. The current project I’m working on may go to tender next year for construction in 2027.

So,and I am not doubting what you say for one moment, as I wrote I know nothing about the funding etc of their project,if they tell their chosen contractor he has 150 million, and they give him the spec,what happens if he says, Nope, can’t be done for that price, do they get someone else, or accept a lower spec?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
so have got this wrong? With all the "its going ahead, we are finally getting our new stand" noise, I thought it was all sorted, with work basically due to start, but from all the above it seems that all thats happened is that they have been given planning permission again, as the last permission had time expired. There is no costing yet- just a rough guess that it will be 50% more, no tender gone out, . Have they actually sorted and brought the land they need from Sainsburys, and the soon(ish) to be displaced residents, or is this still all in Beakys head, and plans on the back of a napkin?
I’m sure even Palace will have a half decent design team who will include a cost consultant. As has been said earlier, it’s often not a good idea to let everyone know your budget too early.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I’m sure even Palace will have a half decent design team who will include a cost consultant. As has been said earlier, it’s often not a good idea to let everyone know your budget too early.
there has to be the danger of the old dodgy exhaust and tyres garage chain trick, whats the most you can pay guv? and then surprise surprise, the estimate comes in £10 under for two tyres, and a new suspension and steering rack when you went in for a single puncture repair

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
A lot of bitterness on here. We’re getting a new ,long overdue, main stand and it will move us on as a club. All good in my eyes .
Thought you'd left for good? Great to have you back. Top post, top stand 👏

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Our scummy owners didn't take the money because there wasn't enough to upgrade the ground, it was their plan to take the money because they're thieving ***** who will rot in hell.

Their owners are miles better than ours were.
So you don't like them much then? :unsure: :lolol: Don't get me wrong I'm not defending them in anyway, shape or form but the fact of the matter is that the ground was a crumbling wreck, it was dangerous. Permission wouldn't have been granted for it to be exempt from all seater as we were in the lower leagues, as it was dangerous. They were a load of thieving ****s but I'm just adding to the story.
Their's are better than ours were but it doesn't mean they should trust them. My ex seemed better than my ex, ex but my trust was still misplaced. 🤷‍♀️

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

With Carillion and Buckingham both going bust, and inexorable price rises in materials, plant hire and trades, I wonder if CP are being optimistic with the mooted figure. Even if the project starts in the next couple of years, that’s 4 more years of inflation up to completion. Buckingham were caught by solid fixed price contracts at Anfield and Fulham, whilst their subcontractor costs rose. Any construction company at Smellhurst would I imagine build in a very wide contingency to mitigate the financial risks.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
With Carillion and Buckingham both going bust, and inexorable price rises in materials, plant hire and trades, I wonder if CP are being optimistic with the mooted figure. Even if the project starts in the next couple of years, that’s 4 more years of inflation up to completion. Buckingham were caught by solid fixed price contracts at Anfield and Fulham, whilst their subcontractor costs rose. Any construction company at Smellhurst would I imagine build in a very wide contingency to mitigate the financial risks.
Long build with season long pauses or an extremely complex high risk build too. Plus high delay charges. Stadium builds are high risk as they are niche projects, in occputation builds are high risk. Put the two together...

A contractor going bust mid build with the cost and delays that entails would be deliciously ironic!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Long build with season long pauses or an extremely complex high risk build too. Plus high delay charges. Stadium builds are high risk as they are niche projects, in occputation builds are high risk. Put the two together...

A contractor going bust mid build with the cost and delays that entails would be deliciously ironic!
Now then, can you imagine? Especially if CP had to stump up some hefty pre-payments a few days beforehand. Perhaps they would only get back 1p in the £.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The whole project is ill thought through, why would you do this before sorting the Arthur Waite? Buy the houses behind it as phase one and then create a better stand over there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here