Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I genuinely, could not give to hoots that on the last day of the season, they managed to finish 1 point and 1 place above us. In a few weeks the table will be erased and we will be back above them for at least few weeks because of the alphabet.

I got to watch Brighton play in Europe, visit Marseille, Amsterdam and Rome. Incredible city's and Stadiums with atmospheres that blew my mind. I saw the team at the Amex walk out to the Europa league Anthem and get last minute winner against Marseille and top the group of death. Incredible memories which will live me for ever.

All they have to crow about is they finish 1 point and place above us. It a little but sad really, but if it makes them happy they can have it,
I absolutely could not agree more with your second paragraph, beautifully stated.
However today i was looking at the programme for the Arsenal home game on the 6th April and the latest table in the back. Both ourselves and Palace had played 30 matches with 8 to go and we were 13 points ahead and plus 21 on the goal difference comparison. So while the fact that they finished above us in itself is small beer it does rankle somewhat that they were able to turn that round on both fronts. Moreover that this was not only due to a remarkable improvement on their part but also a very poor and disappointing run in from ourselves, in particular i am thinking of Brentford and Bournemouth away.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Both ourselves and Palace had played 30 matches with 8 to go and we were 13 points ahead and plus 21 on the goal difference comparison.
Absolutely shocking run of form and definitely relegation material, RDZ injuries aside should have been more pragmatic in his approach to several games, hence the reason, I am sad he has left, but it definitely looked and seemed like he downed tools and his moral affected the squad, and I am pleased he has gone now, we do not need that negative attitude around the club.

UTA onwards and upwards etc

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That’s your clubs strategy Tim, buy low sell high. The trouble being players who do well will know they’re in the shop window and will get a bigger club. If you’re happy with that then great, but I like to see players blossom with us and when you do lose one at least you’ve seen them develop and grow as a player.
bloom has a totally different approach and seeing how much he’s invested in your club you can’t blame him if he decides to get a little back.
So McAllister didn't develop, Ben White, Sanchez ..... Cucurella & Caceido. I dream of one day supporting a big club like Palace, you're deluded man, remember administration(s), remember the Wilf saga when he went, dream on pal

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I genuinely, could not give two hoots that on the last day of the season, they managed to finish 1 point and 1 place above us. In a few weeks the table will be erased and we will be back above them for at least few weeks because of the alphabet.

I got to watch Brighton play in Europe, visit Marseille, Amsterdam and Rome. Incredible city's and Stadiums with atmospheres that blew my mind. I saw the team at the Amex walk out to the Europa league Anthem and get last minute winner against Marseille and top the group of death. Incredible memories which will live me for ever.

All they have to crow about is they finish 1 point and place above us. It a little but sad really, but if it makes them happy they can have it,

Did you miss the thrashing of Palace at the Amex then? :D

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Absolutely shocking run of form and definitely relegation material, RDZ injuries aside should have been more pragmatic in his approach to several games, hence the reason, I am sad he has left, but it definitely looked and seemed like he downed tools and his moral affected the squad, and I am pleased he has gone now, we do not need that negative attitude around the club.

UTA onwards and upwards etc
At first glance i thought you had made a mistake in your post saying both "I am sad he has left" and "I am pleased he has gone" then i reread and completely understood where you are coming from. It makes sense to be both happy with his early enthusiasm and Europe etc and sad with the shenanigans and poor body language and game management at the end.
It reflects my feelings at the final match where i was very happy to give him some well deserved applause but no way i was joining in with the "want you to stay" chant.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I absolutely could not agree more with your second paragraph, beautifully stated.
However today i was looking at the programme for the Arsenal home game on the 6th April and the latest table in the back. Both ourselves and Palace had played 30 matches with 8 to go and we were 13 points ahead and plus 21 on the goal difference comparison. So while the fact that they finished above us in itself is small beer it does rankle somewhat that they were able to turn that round on both fronts. Moreover that this was not only due to a remarkable improvement on their part but also a very poor and disappointing run in from ourselves, in particular i am thinking of Brentford and Bournemouth away.
Whilst we certainly didn't play as well as we could have, on paper we had the 'hardest' final few games of any team - it's little wonder we didn't get many points.

Crucially, also, Palace played an absolutely-not-bothered Villa on the final day, so were gifted a free win.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Whilst we certainly didn't play as well as we could have, on paper we had the 'hardest' final few games of any team - it's little wonder we didn't get many points.

Crucially, also, Palace played an absolutely-not-bothered Villa on the final day, so were gifted a free win.
United did look they were trying either. Gifted a goal and madethemost of our oppunities. We can't score goals could/should have a point off Chelsea and 3 off united.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Palace's run in was every bit as hard as ours.
City
Liverpool
Newcastle
West Ham
Fulham
United
Wolves
Villa

They just happened to play most of them at the perfect time.
Liverpool and west Ham directly after difficult Europa league games - United without any centre backs and Fernandes out - Villa still pissed - Wolves were in terrible form too. Newcastle was a decent result., but people I know who were at the game said that Newcastle just didn't turn up.

Even with all that , we just needed to pull our finger out against any one of Burnley, Bournemouth, Brentford or United to secure 10th place.
Totally on us that we didn't finish top half.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

Yes we had a hard run in but i think even given that fact we definitely under performed to a large degree.
Do you remember the poll that appeared on here with 10 games to go about how many points we would get from those games?
4 people got the correct figure of 6 points but of the remaining 331 who voted an astonishing 318 voted we would get more than that and the vast majority of those were voting for at least double that quantity or even more.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Palace's run in was every bit as hard as ours.
City
Liverpool
Newcastle
West Ham
Fulham
United
Wolves
Villa

They just happened to play most of them at the perfect time.
Liverpool and west Ham directly after difficult Europa league games - United without any centre backs and Fernandes out - Villa still pissed - Wolves were in terrible form too. Newcastle was a decent result., but people I know who were at the game said that Newcastle just didn't turn up.

Even with all that , we just needed to pull our finger out against any one of Burnley, Bournemouth, Brentford or United to secure 10th place.
Totally on us that we didn't finish top half.

It’s hard to argue with the suggestion that we played Villa at a good time, likewise United given their injury issues. Villa certainly started the game well, but they gave up after the second goal went in and it could have ended 10-0 if we hadn’t started rotating players.

Liverpool however were very much still in a title race when we beat them, and we were something like 15/1 with the bookies. Newcastle had European ambitions as well, and desperately needed the points.

It’s not that Newcastle “didn’t turn up” at Selhurst, we were just utterly exceptional from start to finish. It was our best performance of the season and they couldn’t deal with us. A few of the Newcastle fans I spoke to said we were playing like they did when Howe got them into the Champions League.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
So McAllister didn't develop, Ben White, Sanchez ..... Cucurella & Caceido. I dream of one day supporting a big club like Palace, you're deluded man, remember administration(s), remember the Wilf saga when he went, dream on pal
Calm down Tim , just giving my opinion on your club’s policy compared to ours .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Calm down Tim , just giving my opinion on your club’s policy compared to ours .
Indeed, but your implication is your club has a better policy and, I guess, you believe a better run club, my facts point to the opposite, that is all.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Indeed, but your implication is your club has a better policy and, I guess, you believe a better run club, my facts point to the opposite, that is all.
No I didn’t . Just saying our policy is better for us fans as we see the players for a few seasons rather than selling them off to the highest bidder.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Palace through Dougie Freeman have made brilliant recruitment from the EFL. Wharton being the latest example.

I sometimes wonder if the Albion is looking hard enough in that area.
We are looking (see Joao Pedro, for example), but as ever, we are looking for value. We literally bought Mac Allister, Caicedo, Buonanotte and Barco, combined for LESS than Palace paid for Wharton.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
No I didn’t . Just saying our policy is better for us fans as we see the players for a few seasons rather than selling them off to the highest bidder.
Not true though. You’ve just not had any decent players in the last few years that bigger clubs have wanted and enticed. Wait until Olise & Eze get tapped up this summer and they’ll be off in a flash!

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Not true though. You’ve just not had any decent players in the last few years that bigger clubs have wanted and enticed. Wait until Olise & Eze get tapped up this summer and they’ll be off in a flash!
They didn’t last season 🙂👍

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We are looking (see Joao Pedro, for example), but as ever, we are looking for value. We literally bought Mac Allister, Caicedo, Buonanotte and Barco, combined for LESS than Palace paid for Wharton.
Don't think that is true.

Wharton was apparently 18m upfront.

Mac Allister was around 7.6 upfront, Caicedo around 4 and Buonanotte around 6, so Wharton's fee pretty much matches those three.

Barco was around 7.8m.

(This ignores sums to the original selling club that became payable once we sold Caicedo and Mac Allister, which would make their overall fee FAR more expensive).

What this highlights, of course, is how astonishing our recruitment of Mac Allister and Caicedo was. As Albion fans, we had no right to see two such players feature simultaneously in our central midfield for as long as they did. Almost certainly never to be repeated. :down:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It’s hard to argue with the suggestion that we played Villa at a good time, likewise United given their injury issues. Villa certainly started the game well, but they gave up after the second goal went in and it could have ended 10-0 if we hadn’t started rotating players.

Liverpool however were very much still in a title race when we beat them, and we were something like 15/1 with the bookies. Newcastle had European ambitions as well, and desperately needed the points.

It’s not that Newcastle “didn’t turn up” at Selhurst, we were just utterly exceptional from start to finish. It was our best performance of the season and they couldn’t deal with us. A few of the Newcastle fans I spoke to said we were playing like they did when Howe got them into the Champions League.
Liverpool you definitely got at the perfect time.
They played a gruelling game against United the week before which went to extra time, and then a shock loss to Atalanta at Anfield.
Much like us, their season unravelled in a series of 3 or 4 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here