Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before anyone says bad fan, you're right, this is one away fixture I choose not to go to, love the banter but cannot stand why so many people use it to fuel mindless hatred. So, if you are like me and are not going where are you watching it .... I'm in a pub in Arundel with, likely to be, two palace mates, three Brighton mates, Palace supporting Son and Daughter, and a German who cannot understand the rivalry or the importance of the fixture.
I side with the German.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Before anyone says bad fan, you're right, this is one away fixture I choose not to go to, love the banter but cannot stand why so many people use it to fuel mindless hatred. So, if you are like me and are not going where are you watching it .... I'm in a pub in Arundel with, likely to be, two palace mates, three Brighton mates, Palace supporting Son and Daughter, and a German who cannot understand the rivalry or the importance of the fixture.
I hope at least 5 of you have a great time! :cheers:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hang on a second, roll this back a bit.....

What the hell, happened, you have one job in life, one job.....

You failed, not once....

Twice....

Come on....

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I hate these games too. Too much invested emotionally. I don’t get the apathy of some but that’s maybe because I’ve been a Seagull since 1979 and also because I grew up in enemy country (Surrey) and have a fair few Palace mates. These things make the result so important to me and, for that reason, I can’t enjoy them. At all.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I hate these games too. Too much invested emotionally. I don’t get the apathy of some but that’s maybe because I’ve been a Seagull since 1979 and also because I grew up in enemy country (Surrey) and have a fair few Palace mates. These things make the result so important to me and, for that reason, I can’t enjoy them. At all.
My first game was 1967, so I was a teenager and established Brighton fan in the 70's, so as invested as could be, but I just have such a dislike for those that use the fixture to fuel their own desire for aggro. I'm a lover not a fighter :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The result of one game doesn't change anything, we all know that. They are staring up at us with pure envy.

I was expecting a big struggle this year even without the number of serious injuries we've had, to be where we are right now must hurt so bad. Especially as they've had so many head starts on us, going back to their first admin trick.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
My first game was 1967, so I was a teenager and established Brighton fan in the 70's, so as invested as could be, but I just have such a dislike for those that use the fixture to fuel their own desire for aggro. I'm a lover not a fighter :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Me too, Tim! I get that. I don’t like the excessive aggro either but I can’t deny the games v Palace make me emotionally hyper. If I am not at the game (and I wouldn’t go to their hole) then I prefer to watch it alone with my phone off, so I can deal with whatever the result is. I am already starting to feel nauseous with nerves.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As I've mentioned, I love the pantomime villain thing, but it's no more than that. As every rivalry should be.

If anyone is fueled by antipathy, with the catalyst being twenty two men kicking a bag of air around a patch of grass, it's time to sit down and have a think.

It seems that in football fans are just as much desperate to be hated as loved. Some kind of validation for their insecurities.

I really don't want to lose to Palace. And I allow myself a bit of irritation. But in the end it doesn't matter. The most annoying thing would be dropping more points.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Ordinarily i completely get this but this season no. For once whatever happens in this match will not in any way overshadow our Europa League experience and adventures!
They could even win 4 or 5 nil and i would be sanguine about it what with the upcoming excitement of the last 16 draw. So my advice would be just to chill and if they take the lead think about tulips, the acropolis or rose wine Cheers!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not going and will be watching at home with my son. It was supposed to be work Xmas drinks tomorrow but lots of people couldn't make it so they moved it back a week - yes to the Marseille game date. I wasn't going to miss that game. At least watching it on the telly means you're not looking at the game through a letter box.

Went last season. Saturday 3pm worked a lot better than an evening game for me, the opportunity to drink all day and for the OB to kettle you after a defeat with perhaps the option of one train home wasn't appealing much anyway. That said I like the extra edge and it's always one of the best atmospheres of the season, home and away.

Normally I'm much more nervous in the run up but Christmas has got very much in the way of that this year, plus it took me about three days to calm down after Marseille. The result matters more to me than other games but we do have the consolation of being in front in the table and playing in Europe whatever happens.

Finally, I genuinely think this is a game De Zerbi 'gets' whereas Potter never did.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Me too, Tim! I get that. I don’t like the excessive aggro either but I can’t deny the games v Palace make me emotionally hyper. If I am not at the game (and I wouldn’t go to their hole) then I prefer to watch it alone with my phone off, so I can deal with whatever the result is. I am already starting to feel nauseous with nerves.
I love watching it with family and friends, both Palace and Brighton, but we're all family and friends first, enjoy the game, rip each other to bits, but have a laugh, or strop off home

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I couldn’t do that. It wouldn’t be any kind of laugh if we lost.
This. I’m still in the process of getting to know new neighbours and discovered a few months back a Palace fan lives 3 doors up.

I was going to be neighbourly and ask him round to watch it, but having thought about it, decided against asking him. Not sure I could cope watching it with a Palace fan.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I couldn’t do that. It wouldn’t be any kind of laugh if we lost.
I can understand that, and I've flounced off before, but in general it's worth and even more so these days.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Ordinarily i completely get this but this season no. For once whatever happens in this match will not in any way overshadow our Europa League experience and adventures!
They could even win 4 or 5 nil and i would be sanguine about it what with the upcoming excitement of the last 16 draw. So my advice would be just to chill and if they take the lead think about tulips, the acropolis or rose wine Cheers!
Good advice, Dave. Sadly I know myself too well, and chill I won’t be, unless we are 4 or 5 nil up. Even then I’ll be furiously googling “Has Brighton ever lost 6-5 when leading by 5?”!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The ball ache surrounding the game is in no way compatible with the 'importance' of the fixture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here