Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paddy Crerand on 5Live this morning..is he right or just pi$$ed??

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Bit of both - I agree with him in that players, to a point, shouldn't be worried about how they celebrate. But he was being an enormous twat to the presenter who wouldn't furnish him with the EXACT number of texts criticising Ferdinand...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The phone-in was shocking the host got names and places wrong and allowed that MK Dons fan far to much time on air.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Having just heard the piece, and heard Old Paddy saying "Rio Ferdidand", I'll go for the latter option.......!!!!!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Mr Crerand made a fool of himself. Totally misunderstood the question he was asked - it was about Rio Ferdinand celebrating, not Man Utd fans. Sounded like a drunk old man.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I heard it this morning and I thought that Paddy Crerand misunderstood "fans" for "players" at the beginning. He didn't seem to listen to what the interviewers were actually saying until half way through. I've heard him quite a few times lately on 5live and he always seemed quite affable, maybe he's just not a morning person.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I listened to it this morning and thought he must be pissed.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
I actually turned the radio over to another station , it was like Rab C Nesbitt having a rant !

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
First reaction when listening to him was 'is he pissed?' and agree with catfish comment about making a complete fool out of himself. Have always liked Paddy but his outburst today made me cringe.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
He totally misunderstood the question and went on a big rant about fans celebrating, when the question posed to him was about players celebrating provocatively in front of fans. Total overreaction from Crerand who came across a bitter old man.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Now that is a prank phone call if ever I heard one. Someone impersonating an ex Man Utd player and making him sound drunk and appear stupid. At least for the sake of Crerands future appearance fees, I hope that the case. Having said that, it's not the first time I've heard drivel from him so it might just not have been a prank!!!!

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
Now that is a prank phone call if ever I heard one. Someone impersonating an ex Man Utd player and making him sound drunk and appear stupid. At least for the sake of Crerands future appearance fees, I hope that the case. Having said that, it's not the first time I've heard drivel from him so it might just not have been a prank!!!!

absolutely no doubt smashed - like an aggressive street drunk, slurred, aggressive, incapable of understanding what being said and trying to start a punch up - sure he'll not be on much TV or radio for a while!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
absolutely no doubt smashed - like an aggressive street drunk, slurred, aggressive, incapable of understanding what being said and trying to start a punch up - sure he'll not be on much TV or radio for a while!

I disagree that he was drunk. I just think he's a nasty and disagreeable person. His strong Scottish accent is perhaps emphasised by his faux rage.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I disagree that he was drunk. I just think he's a nasty and disagreeable person. His strong Scottish accent is perhaps emphasised by his faux rage.

Well we don't know for sure that he was smashed but bearing in mind the team he idolises just beat their main rivals in the last minute in dramatic circumstances, we can surmise that he had had quite a few sherberts the previous night and possibly well into the small hours. That coupled with the fact that despite his accent, his voice was slurred and more importantly, he was talking a load of shit!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
From the fiver email:

On the subject of throwing things, the former Manchester United midfielder and MUTV presenter Paddy Crerand was involved in a tedious and tetchy exchange on Radio Five Live this morning, after initially failing to understand a question about whether or not Ferdinand might have provoked people into firing missiles by celebrating United's winner within tuppence-chucking range of some City fans.

"He gets struck by a coin that somebody's thrown from about 15 or 20 yards, it's not like he was standing in front of their supporters jumping up and down," said Crerand eventually, neglecting to mention that footballers should be allowed to celebrate last-minute winners wherever they like without fear of being blinded by morons who quite literally have more money than sense.​

I always get annoyed when people argue that celebrating a goal is a natural reaction. It's not. It's a learned one. We're not born with an innate urge to remove our shirts and run into a crowd after kicking a ball into a giant rectangle. If it was, people would do it even if they scored a late consolation goal when 4 down.

But discussions on goal celebrations always make me think of the opening of Baseketball:

BASEketball Opening Scene - YouTube

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here