Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pace / playing on the break

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not convinced we are making the best of these opportunities yet, largely due to some poor decision making at key moments, but I'm sure it will come.

18 goals in the last 7 games would suggest that if there is more to come - happy days!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
When Bong returns to LB, Rosenior to RB, then its all our attack on the Championship scum that gets in our way.
Just a thought :)

Did it make sense to you when you thought it?:shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think Baldock was trying to pass it, I think he was trying to flick it to the right so the defender would overrun, and Baldock would have collected it himself and continued goalward. Fortunately for us, but not Baldock's goal tally, the defender got a touch to it putting it in himself.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think Baldock was trying to pass it, I think he was trying to flick it to the right so the defender would overrun, and Baldock would have collected it himself and continued goalward. Fortunately for us, but not Baldock's goal tally, the defender got a touch to it putting it in himself.

Incorrect.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

From what it looked like to me. Baldock looked like he was passing it with the outside of his right boot for Hemed to tap in. The keepr was coming out and Hemed was totally unmarked.

Had it not been for the own goal, that would have been a quality counter attacking goal.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Whilst I'm happy to heartily agree in general, Baldock's 'shot' for the own goal last night was a shocker!

I disagree having watched the replays this morning - it was not a shot it was an attempted pass to Hemed who would have had an open goal, the defender got a touch to stop a certain goal, but scored himself

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Our recent success, since that poor run has been built largely on the break. We still can't seem to break teams down if they sit back - for the first 15 minutes Leeds were a solid defensive unit and we didn't threaten their goal. Once we scored the penalty they had to attack, which left them vulnerable to the counter and allowed us to run away with it.

What you say about leeds is correct. They looked fairly comfortable; however, the game was only 15 minutes old when we did break them down. OK it was from the penalty spot but Rosenior had got in behind the defenders and who knows he might have cut that back to a forward who in turn might have hit the back of the net.

We were pulling them around all across the pitch by keeping the ball and they may eventually have tired and we might have got a breakthrough that way. You can't really say that we cant break teams down because very few teams have kept a clean sheet against us when we have had a mostly full strength team on the pitch.

We are scoring a lot of goals at the moment without even needing to hit top gear, so for the most part, I am confident that we can break teams down even if they sit in and defend on us.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Incorrect.

Agree to disagree. For me, it didn't look to have enough power or direction for it to be a pass to Hemed, and the way Baldock shifted direction to go behind the defender suggests to me he was just trying to play himself through.

What you say about leeds is correct. They looked fairly comfortable; however, the game was only 15 minutes old when we did break them down. OK it was from the penalty spot but Rosenior had got in behind the defenders and who knows he might have cut that back to a forward who in turn might have hit the back of the net.

We were pulling them around all across the pitch by keeping the ball and they may eventually have tired and we might have got a breakthrough that way. You can't really say that we cant break teams down because very few teams have kept a clean sheet against us when we have had a mostly full strength team on the pitch.

We are scoring a lot of goals at the moment without even needing to hit top gear, so for the most part, I am confident that we can break teams down even if they sit in and defend on us.

There is, for me, a difference between 'breaking a team down' and 'scoring'. Breaking a team down involves them being set and standing fast and us playing through or around them when they are in defence, when they come up our end and we counter attack, or they are preparing to attack and have pushed up and a defensive error allows us in, we can score, but we do so without having to break them down.

I'm commenting on what I've seen, and in our recent run of form our goals have come on the break, not in the periods when opponents have had their defence lined up behind the ball and we've been passing it around trying to get through their defence.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It is completely obvious that Baldock was trying to pass to Hemed. I'm not even sure why it's up for discussion.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It is completely obvious that Baldock was trying to pass to Hemed. I'm not even sure why it's up for discussion.

Innit. It was actually a brilliant few seconds of play from Baldock.

You can tell by the flick of the foot that the intended recipient was Hemed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lucky it did't get there as Hemed would have missed by a country mile.
The guy is clearly shitehouse and needs to be dropped to the reserves...

...Oh sorry wrong month! :lol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Innit. It was actually a brilliant few seconds of play from Baldock.

You can tell by the flick of the foot that the intended recipient was Hemed.

It did not look like that from the south-east.

Generally, I thought we needed a bit more pace as Leeds (unlike Bristol City) were quicker to recover, expecially Bambi (who for a big man seemed particulary naff in the air). Certainly, in the Premier both Knockaert and Murphy (unlike Lualua and Buckley) would seem very ordinary pace-wise. Some of our shooting was accurate but not venomous enough.I was thinking the positions of Lualua ran into space a bit more and he would have scored them if he had been playing?

I think Leeds may have played 4-1-4-1 in the first half (like we did at Cardiff, and like we did with Bridcutt under Poyet sometimes). I think the formation (without world class players) is actually faulty, by the simple expedient of passing around (long balls out of reach) of the midfielder in front of the back four.

I noted we did not pressurise Bridcutt but covered where he would pass the ball. This gave them ineffective possession and slowed down their attacks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Well, it's either

a really good run ended with a pathetically weak shot that luckily was deflected past their keeper and in,
a really good run ended with an inaccurate underhit pass that luckily was deflected past their keeper and in,
a really good run ended when an attempt to take one more touch and continue the great run was luckily deflected past their keeper and in

I think the only person who really knows which of the three it was is Baldock. You may think it was obviously a pass, but I look at the direction and power of the ball, and Baldock's movement, and I think it more obvious he was trying to continue his run.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
coupled with the pace, the team looks balanced at the moment carrying an equal threat from both flanks. Nice that he is switching Knockhaert and Murphy either side during the game as well.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Well, it's either

a really good run ended with a pathetically weak shot that luckily was deflected past their keeper and in,
a really good run ended with an inaccurate underhit pass that luckily was deflected past their keeper and in,
a really good run ended when an attempt to take one more touch and continue the great run was luckily deflected past their keeper and in

I think the only person who really knows which of the three it was is Baldock. You may think it was obviously a pass, but I look at the direction and power of the ball, and Baldock's movement, and I think it more obvious he was trying to continue his run.

I had the impression that the ball was running away from Baldock and that as the keeper came out he wanted to nudge the ball under the keeper's body, really just get a touch on the ball. Probably the best thing in the circumstances but his initial control was not up to a goal scorer.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well, it's either

How do you know the pass was underhit or inaccurate considering it only made it a couple of yards?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here