Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Oystons get their comeuppance

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My guess is they will stall, procrastinate, and generally sod-arse about.

I did a really dull thing earlier today and (skim) read the court ruling - it's 163 pages of interesting but complicated skullduggery. What comes across is that - when talking about the Oystons - we're not really talking about a particularly bright set of people. Certainly the judge didn't attach much weight to neither Karl or Owen Oyston's testimonies. They were largely making things up as they went along - even in the court hearings.

The intellect of a High Court judge will always see through the lies and waffle of chancers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You show more faith than I do as I would be fairly certain that they will have made provisons should they lose the case. I would think that the vast majority of their wealth is in a tax haven that the UK cannot touch and if needed they would follow it there.

But the implications for the Oyston's might include:

Contempt of court.

Banning orders as directors of companies, affecting their interests for example, Blackpool FC. To carry on as 'shadow directors' behind the scenes is a criminal offence.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You show more faith than I do as I would be fairly certain that they will have made provisons should they lose the case. I would think that the vast majority of their wealth is in a tax haven that the UK cannot touch and if needed they would follow it there.

You are crediting them with some form of intelligence.

My guess is they will stall, procrastinate, and generally sod-arse about.

I did a really dull thing earlier today and (skim) read the court ruling - it's 163 pages of interesting but complicated skullduggery. What comes across is that - when talking about the Oystons - we're not really talking about a particularly bright set of people. Certainly the judge didn't attach much weight to neither Karl or Owen Oyston's testimonies. They were largely making things up as they went along - even in the court hearings.

This.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Looks like a victory for the Blackpool fans , let's hope it actually turns out in their favour as I suspect there is a lot of legal trickery to come.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You dont become as wealthy as those two without some intellignce and similarly you will not let it go easily.

I think they have been losing money hand over fist, which is why the club didn't have any investment. I've been following some of the court case, which makes for very interesting reading.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The intellect of a High Court judge will always see through the lies and waffle of chancers.

It's such a shame that not all of us can have such absolute faith in the wisdom of the judiciary; if we could, the phrase, 'The law is an ass' would not exist. Sadly, it does!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You dont become as wealthy as those two without some intellignce and similarly you will not let it go easily.

You shouldn't confuse cunning with intelligence. Many people have become rich through low cunning; many intelligent people have lead worth-while, honest and blameless lives without ever getting rich.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's such a shame that not all of us can have such absolute faith in the wisdom of the judiciary; if we could, the phrase, 'The law is an ass' would not exist. Sadly, it does!

I think you misunderstand the phrase: it refers to the fact that some laws are badly drawn up, fail to cover every eventuality or allow for inappropriate sentencing - that's not the fault of the judiciary, that's the fault of politicians.

I've met several judges and been in court many times and I'm always struck by the acuity of judges. There's a reason they're generally the first choice to lead a government enquiry, they're very good at cutting through a load of obfuscation.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He's a convicted money launderer - in Kyrgyzstan. Belokon also believes he's been told he can't be anywhere a Football League club any more.

Interesting that the FL bans oversea money launderers - but British crooks? Openly welcomed...
May be wrong but wasn't he convicted in his absence and the Judge is THIS case makes reference to it being an unfair ruling ?

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do they not have to have some intelligence and knowledge to be that cunning?
No. It's a different thing altogether - cunning is a basic animal instinct Yes, you can be cunning AND intelligent, but you don't have to have one to have the other.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
May be wrong but wasn't he convicted in his absence and the Judge is THIS case makes reference to it being an unfair ruling ?

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

I think that may well be the case.

However, towards the end of the ruling, the judge makes a suggestion of some kind of mediation going forward. That way, many of the issues brought in this case would have been dealt with. However, after the hearings, and before the rulings, the judge received a letter written by Mr Belokon to Blackpool FC. Included in the letter was the following - as specifically referenced in the ruling...

"On 23 August 2017, [Blackpool FC] received a letter from Mr. Belokon dated 22 August 2017 giving notice of his resignation from the board. I am instructed that my clients were told by the English Football League that such resignation followed discussions between the Football League and Mr. Belokon and Clifford Chance [VB Football Assets’* solicitors] concerning the implications as regards his eligibility to continue as a director of a football club playing in the English Football League of his recent conviction in Kyrgzstan for money laundering offences and fraud.
"I am instructed that my clients have recently been told by the English Football League’s in-house solicitor that the League has now decided that Mr. Belokon should, in view of that conviction, be disqualified from acting as a director of a football club playing in the English Football League.”

* VBFA is Valeri Belokon's company which has shares in Blackpool FC.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Do they not have to have some intelligence and knowledge to be that cunning?

The central point behind the whole judicial application was that the Oystons 'paid' themselves over £26m from Blackpool FC's Premier League money, making out it was monies owed to them or in loans. This was done without informing all of the Board of Directors. They didn't even try to cover it up, they just kept putting Belokon off, and refusing to answer his questions.

How intelligent do you think they are to suggest that they would get away with that?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The central point behind the whole judicial application was that the Oystons 'paid' themselves over £26m from Blackpool FC's Premier League money, making out it was monies owed to them or in loans. This was done without informing all of the Board of Directors. They didn't even try to cover it up, they just kept putting Belokon off, and refusing to answer his questions.

How intelligent do you think they are to suggest that they would get away with that?

Thank you for your insightful posts.

I’ve always lumped Archer/Stanley, Oyston’s and the former Wrexham owner together, as the lowest of the low in club owners. Self interested tunnel vision for the cash or land. Not a jot of interest in the history or the 10,000’s of local ‘stakeholders’.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here