Owen/Vassell debate...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Owen has done bugger all in two games now and each time Vassell has replaced him he's done more in the short time he's been on the pitch than Owen has for the whole time he was on.

Owen just doesn't look up for this tournament but Vassell looks fantastic, more pace, more will to win and it seems to me he is the better and more in form player of the two currently.

Rooney & Vassell against Croatia?

Discuss...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Totally. Vassell's pace was a real plus tonight, despite the ten men. Talking about Owen now on the telly.

Funny how in the first half we had a cracking ten / 15 mins when we played lovely passing stuff, then went to pot again.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i think vassell is fantastic at doing wat he's doing coming on and running at and harassing tierd defences

stick with owen did well for the 1st goal and worked hard a lot better than on sunday and then bring vassell on for the last 30 mins

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would start Hargreaves, Dyer and Vassell against Croatia in place of Scholes, Beckham and Owen. None of the latter three have performed well and dropping them could give them the kick up the arse they need.

We need direct players who will run at people and take them on, committing them and opening up space for team mates. Look how much more exciting and creative Spain have looked using traditional wingers.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
i hear you trigger

but would vassel be as good from the beginning of the game?

that said, it depresses me how much owen has lost it over the last couple of years. hs first touch is appaling at times

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
they might not of set the world alight but i didnt think that scholes,beckham or owen had bad games

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would persist with Owen for first half against Croatia - I have faith in him.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I would give Vassell a chance to start.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No debate necessary, Vassell it is.

OWEN HAS NOT IMPRESSED THIS YEAR.

But Vassell is not an outright scorer in the Shearer, Van Nisteroy and Henri mould.

In fact excluding Owen the rest are all support strikers.

LC:angry:

Last edited:

Richie Morris said:
Should have taken Beattie I think.

Wouldn't disagree> Its amazing, a few years ago we had loads of great forwards. i assume this is a result of the Premeurship buying foreign imports instead of training up local talent.

LC

Last edited:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Owen does frustrate me. I know his style is to wait for the ball to be played to him around the 18 yard line - but he never ever tracks back and tries to win the ball in the same way Vassell and Rooney do. However he is our best finisher - I just wish he would do a bit more in a game if he doesn't manage a goal - he has barely touched the ball in the last two games. I hear what you area saying about Beattie - but the same could be said about Defoe - he should have gone instead of Phil Neville - or even Heskey!!!

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Richie Morris said:
I would start Hargreaves, Dyer and Vassell against Croatia in place of Scholes, Beckham and Owen. None of the latter three have performed well and dropping them could give them the kick up the arse they need.

We need direct players who will run at people and take them on, committing them and opening up space for team mates. Look how much more exciting and creative Spain have looked using traditional wingers.

Absolutely unreal! I really can't believe people like you. God help us if you were in charge of our national team.:dunce:

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
I agree Owen has not been the player we all know but, he is being marked by 2 men thus giving Rooney a lot more space to operate.

If Owen was dropped then Rooney would be man marked by 2 and would not be the player he currently is.

So I say leave Owen in and have Vassell on the bench to come on against failing legs

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports