Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Owen Farrell

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's the problem. On field ref and one committee say not. VAR and a different committee say yes. The point is, you can't keep reviewing it. Look at MacAllister, red on the field, most agree it wasn't, suspension then removed and red recinded on review. It's not gone for a second review because Man Utd don't like that outcome.
It was a terrible offense and an obvious red card. VAR got it right.

Then we had the same sort of thundercuntery that we see in many areas of life where the custodians exercise the pursuit of their own self interests,

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
On field treatment in football is utter madness, it would cause chaos.

A defender goes down injured has, since the offside rule was introduced, still remained active and so plays the opposition on side. If he is being attended to is he still active? If not at what point does he become inactive? If it's when he is on the ground then defenders will suddenly sit down "injured" and the attacker suddenly becomes offside, utter madness.

It's not too hard. He's active the whole time he's receiving treatment. If the ref thinks it's a serious injury to the head or something, this would stop the game, as it does in rugby
Then there's the speed the ball and the players move around the whole pitch, rugby doesn't.

Hmmm
Then there's areas on the pitch that having the sponge holder attending a player would be dangerous or farcical such as the centre circle or penalty area,

Who decides when the sponge man can come on? And how many? How many players can be treated at the same time.

Same as in rugby? It's never caused any problems that i've seen
After being attended to when is the player allowed to become active, just as the ball passed him maybe!!

Chaos utter chaos.
Maybe there would be some issues. But, you've watched Villa. You've watched Fulham last year. At the moment we have a situation that players continually slow the attacking side down, or gain a breather after their team is on the ropes, or eat up a bit of stoppage time by just laying down. We even see farcical scenes like players getting injured off the field and crawling back on to slow the game down.

What we currently have is an embarrassment to our game and an insult to the people who are paying eye watering amounts to attend.

Players would seriously think twice about play acting if there was even a chance that the game would continue without them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There are going to be a raft of red cards in the World Cup and plenty of controversy depending on what nationality the ref and TMO are and which country is being penalised imo. They are so many mitigating circumstances with this high tackle law, for example if a smaller player ducks and a big player has already committed to the tackle it is quite likely that the smaller player is going to be hit at head height. Nothing wrong with the law as it’s for player safety but it’s a bloody nightmare for the game of rugby imo.

Refs have to be seen to be following it stringently as club games don’t have TMO and replays.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Many is the time I've seen NSC sages state that football should be refereed more like rugby and that VAR works in rugby.

Well, as an egg-chasing layman I've been following the Owen Farrell situation and here's what it looks like to me. Ref gives a yellow on the field (which means sin bin). While Farrell is in the bin VAR change it to a red. It's then appealed and goes back to a yellow thanks to a committee. This sets loose the social media hounds of Wales, Scotland and Australia who spend a day crying about it before another committee says they will review it again and make it a red again.

Imagine if that happened in football, that we lost Harry Kane or Kyle Walker from two World Cup games because some blokes in Perth, Dundee and Neath were a bit upset.

What a shambles. What an absolute clusterfuck. Please NEVER tell me again on here that football should be more like rugby.

......and relax.....
Its the opposite here other nationalities want Farrell to play in the World Cup because his inclusion in the team changes the way England play and makes us useless on the pitch but yes a complete and utter clusterf**k.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nothing really to add, other than a rugby ball is not the same shape as an egg.

As you were.
Indeed. Also 'egg chasing' is a ridiculous description, you may as well call football 'balloon chasing'. The only sport that can remotely be described as 'egg chasing' is the school egg and spoon race.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Its the opposite here other nationalities want Farrell to play in the World Cup because his inclusion in the team changes the way England play and makes us useless on the pitch but yes a complete and utter clusterf**k.
Farrell makes England useless? I think it’s shit coaching personally and we missed Farrell big time in that pathetic defensive (amongst other things) performance against Ireland when they went through the middle like a knife through hot butter and Ireland didn’t even play that well!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Disappointing that 2 key players are out for key pool games, but it really just shows up how poor this England squad is, the one picked and coached by Borthwick at any rate.

I am going to loads of it, including 3 of the England pool games, and also the Q/Fs in Marseille, the S/F and final. I will only be disappointed if we don’t make it out of the pool, because in reality that should happen regardless of these bans. Then we would play Australia or Wales, certainly winnable, before meeting one of the better teams in the semi which, if it happened, would likely see us getting absolutely whalloped.

But the same was said about us in 2007. We lost a pool game 36-0 to the Saffers and then a few weeks later I was back in the same stadium seeing us unluckily losing to the same team in the final. So you never know, but I do agree it doesn’t look very likely this time around.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's not too hard. He's active the whole time he's receiving treatment. If the ref thinks it's a serious injury to the head or something, this would stop the game, as it does in rugby

Hmmm

Same as in rugby? It's never caused any problems that i've seen

Maybe there would be some issues. But, you've watched Villa. You've watched Fulham last year. At the moment we have a situation that players continually slow the attacking side down, or gain a breather after their team is on the ropes, or eat up a bit of stoppage time by just laying down. We even see farcical scenes like players getting injured off the field and crawling back on to slow the game down.

What we currently have is an embarrassment to our game and an insult to the people who are paying eye watering amounts to attend.

Players would seriously think twice about play acting if there was even a chance that the game would continue without them.
Wow really?

You can't have players being treated in the goalmouth, what happens if the ball hits the physio and goes in?

Time wasting is being dealt with, far less player rolling about. The 30 seconds off the pitch once the game has restarted is working.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Wow really?

You can't have players being treated in the goalmouth, what happens if the ball hits the physio and goes in?

Time wasting is being dealt with, far less player rolling about. The 30 seconds off the pitch once the game has restarted is working.
Drop ball for defending team I guess? It would all be at referees discretion. Let's wait till the first tight home game when we're on top but not winning, (likely Saturday), and you can come back to me about whether you feel timewasting is now being effectively dealt with

And in an adult discussion "wow really?" is never a great look

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's bollocks to say that the red card was rescinded because of complaints of other nations, it was World Rugby that appealed against the decision ... and quite rightly IMO. You can't have a situation where rugby authorities are clamping down on head to head contact and then say we won't take appropriate action because it's a high profile player and he'd be banned for some important games. Farrell's got a bit of history remember, he had to attend a tackle awareness course last season, as his technique is so poor.

What's particularly bizarre is that the laws of the game have changed for community clubs and there's a lower tackle height. As I'm a coach and a ref, I've been sent shedloads of info about the new law, watched countless videos and had to attend a Zoom conference. We've spent the summer drilling our players about the new law and getting them to change their technique (TBH, it was pretty good as we train our girls properly). It would be totally bonkers for the RFU to say "we're clamping down hard on head contact in the game" and let the England captain escape scot-free. There was very little sympathy for Farrell within the community game, from what I can tell.

And yes, it's absolutely crazy that there are two laws for the game depending on what division a side is playing in - but that's the RFU for you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Drop ball for defending team I guess? It would all be at referees discretion. Let's wait till the first tight home game when we're on top but not winning, (likely Saturday), and you can come back to me about whether you feel timewasting is now being effectively dealt with

Why would you award a drop ball to either team. Presumably the shot might have gone in anyway.

It's a ridiculous idea. Football and rugby are different games for different people. Let's leave them like that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Disappointing that 2 key players are out for key pool games, but it really just shows up how poor this England squad is, the one picked and coached by Borthwick at any rate.

I am going to loads of it, including 3 of the England pool games, and also the Q/Fs in Marseille, the S/F and final. I will only be disappointed if we don’t make it out of the pool, because in reality that should happen regardless of these bans. Then we would play Australia or Wales, certainly winnable, before meeting one of the better teams in the semi which, if it happened, would likely see us getting absolutely whalloped.

But the same was said about us in 2007. We lost a pool game 36-0 to the Saffers and then a few weeks later I was back in the same stadium seeing us unluckily losing to the same team in the final. So you never know, but I do agree it doesn’t look very likely this time around.
This tournament seems as predictable as the football World Cup when most of us said it was a foregone conclusion that England would exit to France in the last eight.

I think England will lose in the semi final when they finally meet a team that is strong. That said, the right to get tonked in the semi-final may well be afforded the Welsh instead. I hope we don't lose the Aussies though, it is a custom to beat them in the last eight however poor we are.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ok then I'll rephrase it. Your idea is not workable in a way that will not result in total chaos . The time being added now is far closer than it's ever been to the stoppages within play. Players are being booked far easily for time wasting. If a player crawls back on the pitch he will be booked. Also if you haven't noticed already players are being left on the ground far more than before. The ref's aren't stopping play for injuries.

I've watched about 8 games on TV and ours live, I have witnessed the change. The simple yellows being thrown about will stop within weeks as managers come down hard on players picking up cards. Yes there will be occasions when Villa or Newcastle stretch the laws but already they are being singled out for their tactics.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
It's bollocks to say that the red card was rescinded because of complaints of other nations, it was World Rugby that appealed against the decision ... and quite rightly IMO. You can't have a situation where rugby authorities are clamping down on head to head contact and then say we won't take appropriate action because it's a high profile player and he'd be banned for some important games. Farrell's got a bit of history remember, he had to attend a tackle awareness course last season, as his technique is so poor.

What's particularly bizarre is that the laws of the game have changed for community clubs and there's a lower tackle height. As I'm a coach and a ref, I've been sent shedloads of info about the new law, watched countless videos and had to attend a Zoom conference. We've spent the summer drilling our players about the new law and getting them to change their technique (TBH, it was pretty good as we train our girls properly). It would be totally bonkers for the RFU to say "we're clamping down hard on head contact in the game" and let the England captain escape scot-free. There was very little sympathy for Farrell within the community game, from what I can tell.

And yes, it's absolutely crazy that there are two laws for the game depending on what division a side is playing in - but that's the RFU for you.
Absolutely this. A quick peruse of YouTube will show you that Farrell has spent his career tackling too high. The only way to eliminate it is to issue red-cards.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Why would you award a drop ball to either team. Presumably the shot might have gone in anyway.

It's a ridiculous idea. Football and rugby are different games for different people. Let's leave them like that.
Wow I agree

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That isn't what the first appeal found. They found that there was late movement of the tackled player thanks to the intervention of another England player. Presumably why the ref on the field gave a yellow, no?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On field treatment in football is utter madness, it would cause chaos.

A defender goes down injured has, since the offside rule was introduced, still remained active and so plays the opposition on side. If he is being attended to is he still active? If not at what point does he become inactive? If it's when he is on the ground then defenders will suddenly sit down "injured" and the attacker suddenly becomes offside, utter madness.

Then there's the speed the ball and the players move around the whole pitch, rugby doesn't.

Then there's areas on the pitch that having the sponge holder attending a player would be dangerous or farcical such as the centre circle or penalty area,

Who decides when the sponge man can come on? And how many? How many players can be treated at the same time.

After being attended to when is the player allowed to become active, just as the ball passed him maybe!!

Chaos utter chaos.

We need to show some respect to the Villa and Fulham on-pitch medical teams. They saved the lives of many players last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here