Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Overrated films?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I hope Pulp Fiction is on here. Decided to watch it a few weeks back for the first time and found the plot to be surprisingly weak. No idea why it is so glorified, especially among my generation - perhaps because it isn't a remake?

This, I thought it was a near masterpiece and by far Tarantino's best film

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I watched it the other night and I agree. I thought it was shite.

Not exactly Fred and Ginger are they?

Loved this film. Must be the only one. I don't think they were meant to be fred and ginger though to be fair

The Fast and the Furious. Whilst I accept it wasn't rated in oscar terms it was sucessful enough to spawn several sequels. Utter, utter shite with the most wooden acting known to humanity. Apparently it was 'about the cars' - well buy auto trader and F off then! A truly incredible waste of 2 hours of my life that makes me angry even typing about it. GGRRRRR!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
never quite understood why so many went mental over "Close encounters of the third kind".

I think it was just that it was so much better than Star Wars.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think it was just that it was so much better than Star Wars.

Yes close encounters knocked star wars out of the park

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
La La Land is a brilliant film with such a strong narrative. Only the opening sequence on the highway yanks my chain, but that is easily skipped. The rest of the story is honest, genuine and sobering whilst being funny and hopeful at the same time. I don't think that one is overrated in the slightest.

Moonlight is a shocking bore, on the other hand.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Just the title of "Nude Nuns with Big Guns" led me to have quite high expectations but after watching it I felt it didn't really live up to its promise.

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
Withnail and I.

Despite several viewings, all the way through, thinking I may have missed something on previous viewings because many seem to rave about it for no obvious reason, I always come to the same conclusion: What Gives? :shrug:

Sorry i love it so well done and makes me laugh each to his own i guess.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Babel
There will be blood
Tree of life
Taxi driver
Deer hunter
The revenant
Easy rider
Leon

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
The new new Star Wars, not the old new ones which everyone hates. I can quite happily watch any films aimed at kids, I just don't get why people try to make out Star Wars are more than that. They look great mind.

Another vote from Wolf of Wall Street. I know they're dicks, but by the end of the film that was the only feeling I had left about it; what a bunch of wankers.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Withnail and I.

Despite several viewings, all the way through, thinking I may have missed something on previous viewings because many seem to rave about it for no obvious reason, I always come to the same conclusion: What Gives? :shrug:

That's a shame. It's genuinely brilliant. In my opinion of course.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is there going to be an overrated TV shows thread? I'd like to nominate Breaking Bad.

My wife recommended it as one of the best series ever. I told her I couldn’t get past episode 2 because of his incessant coughing.
I know he had lung cancer but it just annoyed me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Which is precisely why BG has been signed up to star in the remake, set in Haywards Heath and the killing fields of Hassocks and renamed The Beer Hunter it depicts one retired landlords's long-winded search for the perfect pint of Harveys.
Christ.......... how many seasons in that box set then ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Argo. Utter tripe. Presumably it won the best picture Oscar as no other films were made that year.

I didn’t make it to the end with that one.

Birdman I got to 40 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here