Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Overage junior entry at The Goldstone?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Following on from the underage drinking thread, does anyone have amusing or nonsensical stories of trying or succeeding in getting in to the Goldstone through the junior turnstile?

I think I was still doing this age 20, despite being over 6' tall. Oh, for those youthful good looks:rolleyes:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Previously mentioned on another thread a while ago.......

My dad used to police the trains on matchday between Hastings and Hove.
After arriving at Hove, we used to go to the Goldstone and I would then meet back up with him at Hove Station after the game.
On one such game, I decided to enter the northstand for the first time, as normally entered at the SW entrance and watch the match.
After entering the NS, my dad couldn't find me, so then I hear my name being boomed over the announcement, that I was to go back to the SW entrance.
Obviously not wanting to walk around the pitch, I left the ground and entered via the SW, giving the excuse I'd lost my dad.
The guy on the turnstile looked at me, laughed and said " in you go sonny"

Could've used that trick again, but never did.
Age 16 :D

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Lost my season ticket about 4 games in when we were at Gillingham. Didn't bother asking the club for a replacement as used to walk through the junior turnstile for £2 despite being 6"3.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Went into the Goldstone for £1 for a couple of years after my 16th birthday IIRC.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Thinking back I think I was regularly U16 on the train and turnstile, but over 18 in the pub.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Arriving at Falmer ahead of the recent Aston Villa game, [MENTION=33581]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] says claims he's been using a junior ST for the past 37 years are unfounded.

TheKrankies2-e1518021003291.jpg

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Went to Wigan away in the early 2000s in the championship. I was 18/19 at the time, I went to go through the adult turnstile but the steward questioned how old I was, not wanting to be seen as a kid I told him the truth, He laughed and sent me through to the kids turnstile.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Following on from the underage drinking thread, does anyone have amusing or nonsensical stories of trying or succeeding in getting in to the Goldstone through the junior turnstile?

I think I was still doing this age 20, despite being over 6' tall. Oh, for those youthful good looks:rolleyes:

Don't fall for it folks. It's Paul Barber in disguise, he's going to use this to claim back the money + interest.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I got in half price at a game at MASSIVE once when I was 22. I just crouched a little at the turnstiles. They obviously look a lot older there.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thinking back I think I was regularly U16 on the train and turnstile, but over 18 in the pub.

My cousin was four years old and they used to say she was three when getting on the bus to avoid paying.

The bus driver once asked her how old she was, to which she replied 'I'm three when I get on and four when I get off'

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
No need to pay anything if you didn't care about the first 60 minutes , just wait for them to open the North Stand gate and stroll in.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember queuing at the Junior entrance (probably aged about 12) and was quite surprised that my brother-in-law joined the queue behind me after pointing out that half of the queue were over age by his reckoning.

He was told that they 'would let him in this once' despite him being 26 with a full beard :lolol:

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
There used to be a old boy on the north-north/west double gates, there was a pedestrian gate cut into it, at aged 10 i used to knock on the door and the old boy always let me in , its a shame he's not still here to do it at the Amex

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Not so much at the Goldstone but recall abusing a family rail card for a few seasons with one of us young adults playing adult with the 3 kids (£1 each) on rotation

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Managed to pay child prices at the Goldstone and on trains till I was 21

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I once travelled with a friend from Seaford. We were both 16 but had little money so I said to him to go in the under 16 gate as it was 40p instead of 80p or something. He asked what he should do if challenged as he looked pretty mature for his age. I said simply say your birthdate but add a year on and they'll relent.

We got there, I sailed through and he was challenged. He was a numpty and straight away gave his real birthdate. I stood at the top of the chicken run looking over the wall and he desperately signalled not knowing what to do. I persuaded him to beg and after a few minutes, he duly found someone kind enough for the other 40p.

Seems mad that the price was so low and also, I miss bringing a pocket of slummy and getting into the game at 2:45pm on a Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here