Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Over £14M received for the sale of .......

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
TB stated we would have a competitive budget, which indicated funds were available. This was before Ulloa was sold for £8m upfront which obviously wasn't budgeted for. We have freed up wages budget from released players as well as Ulloa. I expect a chunk of the £8m to be spent strengthening, either in signing on fees or transfer fees, and will be disappointed and a little concerned for this season if that doesn't happen.

With you on that. The budget was said to be competitive by Bloom prior to any sales and at that point must have met any FFP rules. We apparently did not need to shift Ulloa so I also believe that a hefty chuck of the transfer monies to be used toward improving a threadbare squad. We certainly need to be busy in the market since to my reckoning we are 5 short with a couple of weeks to go so lets hope the money helps get the wheels turning.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am not expecting us to spend millions but we do need to strengthen the squad. I will be flabbergasted if we don't make quite a few signings but probably not until close to the window closing when we will hold the aces re wages and fees. It will narrow our choices to who is left rather than who we might like though.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I can only think that the stadium and training ground (which we are all very grateful for) have used up all the resources meaning there is nothing left for the playing side of the operation and won't be for quite a few years. Let's hope we can produce a few youngsters good enough to keep us in the Championship while there are no funds to buy new players.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Minus the fact people have conveniently forgotten that a HUGE stadium and training academy has to be paid for and FFP being a bit of a game changer.

Some fans honestly live in cloud "Football Manager game" cuckoo land.

So our aim is to operate at a significant profit for 30 years (without being relegated, of course) in order to pay off a debt that is interest-free and slowly being converted to equity.

Makes even less financial sense

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Out of interest how much does 5k less season tickets equate to .

Taking concessions and VAT into account, it'd be in the region of £2m. However the ST sales have not dropped by that much - more like 1k isn't it?

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I am not expecting us to spend millions but we do need to strengthen the squad. I will be flabbergasted if we don't make quite a few signings but probably not until close to the window closing when we will hold the aces re wages and fees. It will narrow our choices to who is left rather than who we might like though.
This and because of the naming of premier 25 player squads will release up players

Dec 29, 2011

Why the big jump in rent?

The rent is currently £1M per annum and first became payable from the date the stadium was deemed complete. This date was 1st April 2013 so, since the Albion's financial year runs from July to end June, the rent payable in 2012/13 (when the club posted a £14.8M loss), was £250K. The next set of annual accounts are due to be posted by the end of March 2015 and will show the rent payable for a full year.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Excuse my ignorance but I thought the club owned the ground on which the Amex is built. So why are we paying rent?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
However the ST sales have not dropped by that much - more like 1k isn't it?

Dropped ? The club has made no public comment on ST sales since March when they were already 20K+ . Last year they were just over 23K

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I've heard around that figure too, certainly not the £2m reported. The BBC aren't a good source as they just regurgitate information from local papers, I would have expected the argus to be a little more accurate though.

If the BBC and the Argus can't be used as credible sources on here then who can ?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The club doesn't own the land. Some of it is owned by Brighton & Hove City Council, some of it is owned by the University of Brighton.

The club is a long-term leaseholder.

Aah. Thank you for clarifying that. It was news to me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Just playing devil's advocate for a moment... Our great benefactor has happily been spending £8M+ a year (£15M last year but I'm sure there was some jiggery pockery with the accounting to get costs in before FFP bit).

Stadium and academy aside (because there are assets and have some continued value to TB) - that's a lot of money he gets out from his own pocket to keep us happy.

Perhaps he'd like a year off and have the club be "self-supporting" for a season by using the Ulloa cash instead of his own.

(I hasten to add this is just playing devil's advocate and would really like a new "unknown" foreign star striker for £2M, a premier league standard goalie on a season's loan while Walton steps up as #2 and takes the #1 shirt (if ready) the following season and if Tony could really push the boat out, can we have a "spare" striker this season so we're not left floundering because of an injury and another defender would be good too. Cheers Uncle Tony.)

Excuse my ignorance but I thought the club owned the ground on which the Amex is built. So why are we paying rent?

The doesn't own the land. Some of it is owned by Brighton & Hove City Council, some of it is owned by the University of Brighton.

The club is a long-term leaseholder.

And...... The Amex Stadium (and Lancing Training Ground) are owned by Community Stadium Ltd. The football club entity (BHA FC Ltd) that is the member of the Football League and which lost £14.8M in 2012/13 pays rent to CSL. Both CSL and BHA Ltd are separate legal entities/companies but wholly owned subsidiaries of the BHA Holdings Ltd.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And...... The Amex Stadium (and Lancing Training Ground) are owned by Community Stadium Ltd. The football club entity (BHA FC Ltd) that is the member of the Football League and which lost £14.8M in 2012/13 pays rent to CSL. Both CSL and BHA Ltd are separate legal entities/companies but wholly owned subsidiaries of the BHA Holdings Ltd.

A company that was originally called 'Foray 585', and started by... Bill Archer.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Hang on Hang on......

TB stated that we would have a competitive transfer budget before the notion of Leo moving on.

He has also stated since that he was loathe to sell Leo which indicates that the budget was never built around potential lucrative sales.

Considering we received £8m for him and we already had a competitive transfer budget set aside I would assume we now have a far greater budget to utilise.

Not to mention the freed up wages from releasing/selling 14-15 players.

We must have had a plan and now a greater opportunity to realise that plan.

The club must aim for 9th Aug rather than the end of the transfer window. Aside from demanding high wages and inflated valuations, the club have very little excuse to achieve what they had goaled themselves in May/June. If this isn’t achieved now then I think the opportunity open to us will be gone and this summer can be deemed as failure.

In conclusion, we have more money they we expected and should spend it as planned with the extra addition of a striker and still be in line with our budgeting requirements regarding wages, FFP etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here