Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Out of confidence or just lazy?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
There were many examples of this, but the one that stood out to me the most was about half an hour in, when march was set through by a brilliant pass from bissouma, and ends up having to take a speculative shot from a ridiculous angle, because nobody is in any sort of proximity to him. The replay cuts to maupay and welbeck about thirty paces behind, looking like they'd both just woken up from a nap, and making absolutely no effort to get involved. So many times today the midfield had the ball in the final third, and ended up having to pass it back as again, there was no movement from any of maupay, trossard or welbeck.
I like Neal and was delighted that he scored today. However, he did that at least twice today. Towards the beginning of the game Welbeck had beaten his man, needed support, and Maupay was merely jogging into the box. It was like he didn't actually want to get in a goal-scoring situation.

Solly at the moment is the only one with the desire to get into good positions for me.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You don't need confidence to run forward and try to be available to receive some kind of ball. It's either being given bad instrucitons/coaching or lacking in natural quality.

To be fair l think that you probably do, when your confidence has been shot to pieces, you will do all you can to avoid taking any kind of pass, and thus leaving yourself open to making another mistake.

Just a couple of wins, and you will see a completely different performance from these players.

SoggyCabbages

Mar 29, 2019
To be fair l think that you probably do, when your confidence has been shot to pieces, you will do all you can to avoid taking any kind of pass, and thus leaving yourself open to making another mistake.

Just a couple of wins, and you will see a completely different performance from these players.

Yes maybe that's one player you could say it's a lack of confidence but when it is several players no being available surely not all of them are down in the dumps?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes maybe that's one player you could say it's a lack of confidence but when it is several players no being available surely not all of them are down in the dumps?

Don't be so sure, a collective lack of confidence can be as contageous as Covid.

Still, the affected players won't need to wait for the vaccine for the cure, a win or two should be all that's needed.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
To add insult to injury, Neville goes and gives Maupay MOM, ffs the Premier League is well and truly ****ed up.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yes, he tries hard, but must try harder at doing useful stuff instead of giving the ball away when it is played to him to either hold up or pass on. It really is quite poor for a Premier striker. I hope his goal will give him more confidence than it does me.
White was poor today, I wonder if playing pinball with his position in the team will leave him as a Jack of all trades, master of none.
Gary Neville knows not what he does.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Players fault, not the managers.

Surely it is the manager’s, or in our case, head coach’s job to get the best out of the players and get them performing as well as they can?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Its attitude. We play at the same tempo almost all the time. We spend the majority of our time playing harmless football in front of the opposition. No variance. No ability to change tactics. We have a one-trick pony for manager. We are easy to play against and easy to score against.

I noticed Liverpool did the same yesterday as it tends to move the defence around looking to exploit any gaps that appear. The difference is teams like Liverpool then go up a gear when an opportunity arises and everyone is suddenly on the move to exploit the space. We dont do that bit!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Surely it is the manager’s, or in our case, head coach’s job to get the best out of the players and get them performing as well as they can?

How dare you suggest that GP could be at fault, we’re playing great football don’t you know. FFS we won a home game in 2020, what more do you want?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Potter isn't going to be fired unless we drop very deep into the relegation zone - which won't happen.

It certainly looked like a lack of confidence but his tactics were very worrying towards the end. No strikers? If TB is content with him, all we can do is support Potter and the team for the rest of the season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
OP makes some good points. March and Bissouma (and Webster yesterday) aside nobody wants to take the responsibility of running at players. I really do think it’s a confidence thing, too many players hiding and we don’t have a manager or player to really rip into them Nobby Horton style whilst leading from the front, or yelling from the touchline. So they can get away with it, I love how we play but a bit of gut busting passion on the pitch and touchlines would definitely helps us imo

Confidence is completely shot

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I said to my son yesterday, the games we have looked good in is when we play with a quicker momentum, something that's been sadly missing recently. That's not just moving the ball forwards but closing down as well. MOTD made some good points about the lack of closing down.

If or when we score we become even slower in everything we do, that's the time we need to drive home our advantage, we don't. That is simply the manager's job. He speaks in a considered concise almost monotone way, his team plays the same way. We lack spark too often, a shrug of shoulders and an acceptance of failure. We learn apparently, but do we?

the

Jul 25, 2018
London
With Trossard it's laziness. Most matches he looks like he's going for a midday stroll in a park.

Same goes for Welbeck to a lesser degree.

For Maupay, it's a combination of not being that good to begin with and a lack of confidence.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
OP makes some good points. March and Bissouma (and Webster yesterday) aside nobody wants to take the responsibility of running at players. I really do think it’s a confidence thing, too many players hiding and we don’t have a manager or player to really rip into them Nobby Horton style whilst leading from the front, or yelling from the touchline. So they can get away with it, I love how we play but a bit of gut busting passion on the pitch and touchlines would definitely helps us imo

Confidence is completely shot

Yes, our confidence is completely shot, as you put it. That said, the remedy is a relatively simple one, just win a football match or two, and it comes flooding back.

Hang on, win a football match? simple?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here