Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our wingbacks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Eh? Tariq Lamptey didn't 'have to fulfil the back part' because he was playing right midfield. Unless by 'our wingbacks' you were meaning to start a discussion on Veltman? :mad:

Tariq popped back every once in a while.
But as Veltman only had Callum Hudson-StealingALiving to deal with, by virtue of other fella unable to leave Lamptey behind him it was fairly academic.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Tariq popped back every once in a while.
But as Veltman only had Callum Hudson-StealingALiving to deal with, by virtue of other fella unable to leave Lamptey behind him it was fairly academic.

My thoughts exactly. He's useless and we have much better players than him. Yet my son's Chelsea supporting mate sincerely believes that if he was in our squad, he'd be in our top 5 players.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My thoughts exactly. he's useless and we have much better players than him. Yet my son's Chelsea supporting mate sincerely believes that if he was in our squad, he'd be in our top 5 players.

He's got everything we look for in a striker. :jester:

Unfortunately. :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What amazes me is Cucurella has dropped in and looks like he has played in that position for us for years. Normally there is a bedding in period where you learn your teammates traits. Hasn't been a problem for him. Guy is pure class

Cucu slotted in instantly and perfectly, as did Propper and Gross. Funny how some do and others take years . . . Bissouma for example . . .Alzate had arguably his best ever game too.

funny old game

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I'm soon to be 52.
Naturally pessimistic (although I doubt that comes across on here)
Ground down by everything.
Nothing more so than the feeling of guilt for feeling like that.

I just can't properly explain the emotions Flair Hair and The Lamp induced last night.

Beyond BDB and a little of Webster I don't really have any idea how the rest of the team played.
If I weren't marveling at one I was completely enthralled by watching the other.

When they tackled each other on the centre spot I thought I might need a cigarette - I've never smoked.

Great age - I’m almost 52 as well !

Some of the passing between MCAllister , Gross and Alzate was top drawer as well . Alzate barely played last 2 months , you would never have thought . Lamptey we all know and love but Cucu as well is a very special player . Well worth the wait to finally sign him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We played a back 4 with Veltman as the RB.

So continuing on from the Potter... thread, I no longer think our tactics allow you to simply say its a 4 or a 3 or what have you in the traditional sense because we are often asymmetrical in how we set up in that sometimes our left doesn't match our right's formation. For some of the match Veltman dropped into a 3 at the back with us pivoting where Lamptey became wingback as was Cucurella. However at other times, I'd agree with you, Veltman was shifting over to the right, Cucurella dropping in and it turned into a 4. We started with a bit of a diamond in midfield, Alzate at the base, Moder at the tip, MacA and Gross either side. Meant that Gross and MacA were always in touching distance of the wingbacks, or fullbacks given that did happen. Heat map attached below kind of backs up the asymmetry...

I mean, that is the bamboozling of the opposition, they don't know who is playing where. Were Gross and MacA wide players, or Cucurella and Lamptey. Moder at times looked more in the CF slot that Welbeck did, then dropped in wider positions himself.

I don't say you're wrong, but it wasn't as simple as saying it was an unequivocal 4 at the back. Second half, it was just a 2!! :albion2:

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.36.46.png

This is the heat map for Veltman and Cucurella, who actually as the LB was higher than Lamptey in many cases because Veltman became a CB when he went, hence Burn's heat map is often very left for a CB.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.39.44.png

You can see here how Burn's individual map is like you'd expect with a left of a 3 CB

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.43.21.png

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here