[Football] Our scoring problem

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He was an exciting player. Disruptive style. Completely misunderstood by most supporters. And perhaps also the management.

The missmatch between our general play and our chance creation is so extreme that I suspect many of us can't quite get our heads around it. The latter is probably so poor that we would be a basket case relegation candidate were the rest of our game not so good. I can't really get my head around it to be honest.

To play Devil's Advocate - is the rest of our game really so good, though? We have a lot of possession, true, but how many times have we played really well recently? Or at all this season? Arsenal and Leeds at home, Liverpool away: yes, we were brilliant although we didn't win. But we were poor for long stretches at Burnley, Norwich, Palace, West Ham and Southampton and at home to Everton and Newcastle and didn't do much against Villa.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To play Devil's Advocate - is the rest of our game really so good, though? We have a lot of possession, true, but how many times have we played really well recently? Or at all this season? Arsenal and Leeds at home, Liverpool away: yes, we were brilliant although we didn't win. But we were poor for long stretches at Burnley, Norwich, Palace, West Ham and Southampton and at home to Everton and Newcastle and didn't do much against Villa.

We play some glorious football in the middle of the park. Not for 90 minutes, but for plenty. We never play glorious football in the opponents' box. Well, not for months, now. I can't remember the last time, to be honest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Here comes controversy!

Florin Andone

Yes, we know he is flawed but we also know he has passion. Is it time for Potter to swallow his pride and restore him to the 25 man squad? He has been unsuccessful in getting us scoring with his other resources. He decided to bin off Tau, Zeqiri, AJ & Andone (whist retaining Locadia) and we are bereft of a goalscorer.

With his qualifications, surely Potter has the attributes to manage "the problem child"?

Of course there's no guarantee of success but at least give him a go because the striking options we have had this season are clearly not capable of doing the job.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Here comes controversy!

Florin Andone

Yes, we know he is flawed but we also know he has passion. Is it time for Potter to swallow his pride and restore him to the 25 man squad? He has been unsuccessful in getting us scoring with his other resources. He decided to bin off Tau, Zeqiri, AJ & Andone (whist retaining Locadia) and we are bereft of a goalscorer.

With his qualifications, surely Potter has the attributes to manage "the problem child"?

Of course there's no guarantee of success but at least give him a go because the striking options we have had this season are clearly not capable of doing the job.

I banged this drum for a long time.
However the fact that he can't get a game at Cadiz implies he is either not good enough, or his attitude problem is now too far gone,

Last edited:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
its not just shooting. Anything in the final third is utter rubbish. We never look like a threat.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
someone is failing at their job and should be accountable

Either the recruitment team or Potter for not developing what we have into more goals which was his brief.

The problem has been glaringly obvious to everyone for years. Those that are taking a wage to sort it need to step up and solve it once and for all.

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Coached yeh, It must be.

Based on a statistical analysis that recycling it wide instead of shooting is less likely to lead to an opposition counter attack and will increase the number of corners we get (and bugger up)

And yet there were numerous times last night when our forward players tried to play through the middle with little flicks or through balls that directly led to counter attacks from Wolves. If they come off, then great - but the probability is miniscule, and with our lack of speed in defence (apart from Lamptey) we're very susceptible to getting turned over. We're also not Man City (obvs), so trying always to play like them is surely counter (no pun intended) productive?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
someone is failing at their job and should be accountable

Either the recruitment team or Potter for not developing what we have into more goals which was his brief.

The problem has been glaringly obvious to everyone for years. Those that are taking a wage to sort it need to step up and solve it once and for all.

isn't our manager and his coaching staff all former defenders?

might be worth replacing one with an attacking coach.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

It's a bit like expecting a therapist to have fixed Fred West.

His issues + lack of goals / game time at Cadiz should tell you all you need to know

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
There does seem a tendency to keep taking one more touch, make one more pass to get a better chance,and that is all well and good for most of the time , but it seems that happens all the time, with there being virtually no snap shots, or just getting it in the box when the perfect shot, pass isn't there

I think it was one of the Charlton brothers who was asked how do you score so many goals-and the reply was something like-if you hit enough shots at goal-some will go in

I doint think we should be a hit and hope team, but surely a bit more freedom to take the occasional punt would help

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Simples really.....leaving out our defenders, this lot don't even look like they've got a goal in them.

Connolly
Moder
March
Alzate
Bissouma
Lallana
Mwepu
Gross
MacAllister
:ffsparr:

I'm a big fan of Potter, but he should also take some blame for our lack of goals. We are far too slow in our build up which allows the defenders to get organised and very difficult to break down.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The team shoots the 10th most in the PL, so pretty average.

Next theory please.

Are those "on goal" shots or shots that go wide or over the top. We are very good at sending a large percentage of shots near the goal but not "on goal."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Are those "on goal" shots or shots that go wide or over the top. We are very good at sending a large percentage of shots near the goal but not "on goal."

Whether they hit goal or not is a different question. Plenty of people are saying Brighton never shoots, which just isnt the case. The quality of the shots are a different matter.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Whether they hit goal or not is a different question. Plenty of people are saying Brighton never shoots, which just isnt the case. The quality of the shots are a different matter.

What my point is without hitting "on goal" there is no point in taking a lot of shots. I believe this is a result of the slow movement of the build up towards goal and because Albion shooters seem to panic more when they finally get their chance to shoot and have more defenders in front of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports