Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our Roberto.........

This guy seems to be on a different level to Graham Potter. After the demolition of Everton he wants more from his players. Still not perfect for him and continues to demand better. I'm starting to think he'll be in demand soon and we may struggle to fend off the poachers soon including a certain club that raided us a few months ago🙄🙄

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This from last night is exactly where I'm at

Spent 18 months saying 'I like Potter but...'
For that to be a red rag to some.

When we broke, in our own half, for Ferguson to shoot over, we had 5, possibly 6 players breaking either with the ball or in front of it.

I liked Potter but...

...he's no Roberto de Zerbi.

Got to wonder how many clubs are looking at their manager - looking at our manager and thinking 'bollox'.

Much like his predecessor he's got plenty of time to move up, there's no rush.
I just hope he's here long enough to reach some sort of conclusion whether that be silverware or Europe, before moving on.
Id be very sad booooooing this one (not saying I won't, I'll just be sad doing it)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This guy seems to be on a different level to Graham Potter. After the demolition of Everton he wants more from his players. Still not perfect for him and continues to demand better. I'm starting to think he'll be in demand soon and we may struggle to fend off the poachers soon including a certain club that raided us a few months ago🙄🙄
I wonder if he will mentioned in any bookie’s lists when Fat Frank gets the boot later today? :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder if he will mentioned in any bookie’s lists when Fat Frank gets the boot later today? :lolol:
He'll get hundreds of millions to spend, just like all the others.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Had a HUGE advantage of a well coached team from potter. However potter is boring, we won by more than one goal like 6 times in 3 years and he would probably be playing Mitoma at left back
Well except when he had access to the current lot of players and big wins were rolling in :shrug:

It is definitely looking promising for RDZ though and it all fits sort of well with the somewhat strange and unexpected latino turn the club has taken.

But this weird afterthought that if TB had signed RDZ instead of GP in 2019, Brighton would be scoring for fun with Dale Stephens and Davy Pröpper in midfield and Aaron Connolly and Neal Maupay up front... yeah, not buying it.

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He has taken Potters solid controlled passing through the lines and replaced it with one touch rapid attacking football that is pulling sides all over the place creating the space for clearer goal scoring opportunities. This alongside having to win over the confidence of the players in his methods and learning a new language in a new environment. Hugely impressive coach, great connection with the fans who is now taking us up a level what a appointment by the club.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Well except when he had access to the current lot of players and big wins were rolling in :shrug:

It is definitely looking promising for RDZ though and it all fits sort of well with the somewhat strange and unexpected latino turn the club has taken.

But this weird afterthought that if TB had signed RDZ instead of GP in 2019, Brighton would be scoring for fun with Dale Stephens and Davy Pröpper in midfield and Aaron Connolly and Neal Maupay up front... yeah, not buying it.
Why isn't Potter achieving much with his current squad of players who are supposedly better than ours?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Agree with most of this, other than unexpected turn by the club, I’d suggest Poyet and Garcia appointments would suggest otherwise. Just appointed the person who was best placed to continue the work of Potter…..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Had a HUGE advantage of a well coached team from potter. However potter is boring, we won by more than one goal like 6 times in 3 years and he would probably be playing Mitoma at left back
Potter wouldn't have had the self-confidence or belief in his players to give Ferguson a start. And he'd still have been throwing Mitoma on for twenty minute cameos at the end

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He has taken Potters solid controlled passing through the lines and replaced it with one touch rapid attacking football that is pulling sides all over the place creating the space for clearer goal scoring opportunities. This alongside having to win over the confidence of the players in his methods and learning a new language in a new environment. Hugely impressive coach, great connection with the fans who is now taking us up a level what a appointment by the club.
It's the adjustment a fair few of us wanted to see, but were repeatedly told we were wrong because it wasn't possible.

Many an owner and CEO would have appointed a manager who wanted to put his mark on his team.
RdZ seems to have said 'well this is great, but now let's do it quicker'.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Stood at Bristol City or Peterborough or anywhere back in the day in the Poyet era.
Ankergran standing with his foot on the ball waiting for an opposition player to break ranks and force him to pass. Then it was short to Bridcutt and then either Calde or Painter and we’re gone!
Now, in the Premier League, it’s Dunk standing on the ball 15 yards further forward, waiting for an opposition player to advance. And then to Gross or Caicedo and then we’re away again!!! Just so good to watch.
Big difference is that we are content and comfortable to pass short in our own box to draw them in.
And De Zerbi not being happy makes me so happy!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why isn't Potter achieving much with his current squad of players who are supposedly better than ours?
For the same reasons highly proven managers came and went at Manchester United, Arsenal and so forth: a poorly built team where the boards only were aware of one solution to problems - sacking the manager, with no or little positive effect. First when they started to see problems in a different light, they found out that the solutions was actually not to change manager a couple of times a year, but to actually put some thought into recruitment rather than just randomly assembling a squad with expensive players. This is the reason Potter isn't achieving as much with Chelsea as he did with Brighton. Another factor is obviously that it takes time to get your team to play the way you want it.

GP did better with this Brighton side than RDZ has. GPs final 11 league games in charge of the team: 7 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. RDZs first 11: 4 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses. If were going to play the game of "why isn't a new manager immediately getting the same or better results than his predecessor", it should go both ways. Why isn't De Zerbi achieving much with his current squad of players who are supposedly as good as the identical squad he arrived to in September?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good grief he’s only been here five minutes, I do think people need to calm down a bit.
Yes yes we do

BUt we did just thrash Everton in their own back yard, and made the Arse twitch ( probably more so than the Toon last night . . .permission to get a little bit excited please? 🙄

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes yes we do

BUt we did just thrash Everton in their own back yard, and made the Arse twitch ( probably more so than the Toon last night . . .permission to get a little bit excited please? 🙄
Nothing wrong with that I was saying people should stop shitting themselves he’s going to walk anytime soon. All the positions above us are sewn up so can’t see any poaching from the PL at least.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nothing wrong with that I was saying people should stop shitting themselves he’s going to walk anytime soon. All the positions above us are sewn up so can’t see any poaching from the PL at least.
Well, they're sewn up until they aren't. Good chance Conte won't be around after the summer, and there is a chance Klopp might say "feck it, this isn't working", and leave Liverpool. None of them would look in the direction of RDZ at the moment though - taking charge of a successful team and keeping it quite successful for a few months is a good accomplishment (we've seen lots of examples where it hasn't gone as smoothly) but I don't think its enough of a sample size to have the biggest clubs chasing him. Maybe it will be a different story in 18 months or so, but that day - that sorrow.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Good grief he’s only been here five minutes, I do think people need to calm down a bit.
But it has been a very entertaining five minutes.

as for others saying there will be others after him, I think from what we know of Mr DZ, there will be a certain amount of loyalty and integrity there. ……. And that is NOT a swipe at Mr Potter.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For the same reasons highly proven managers came and went at Manchester United, Arsenal and so forth: a poorly built team where the boards only were aware of one solution to problems - sacking the manager, with no or little positive effect. First when they started to see problems in a different light, they found out that the solutions was actually not to change manager a couple of times a year, but to actually put some thought into recruitment rather than just randomly assembling a squad with expensive players. This is the reason Potter isn't achieving as much with Chelsea as he did with Brighton. Another factor is obviously that it takes time to get your team to play the way you want it.

GP did better with this Brighton side than RDZ has. GPs final 11 league games in charge of the team: 7 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. RDZs first 11: 4 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses. If were going to play the game of "why isn't a new manager immediately getting the same or better results than his predecessor", it should go both ways. Why isn't De Zerbi achieving much with his current squad of players who are supposedly as good as the identical squad he arrived to in September?
I prefer to look at Potter getting only one point more in the league games played since the two managers respectively started their new positions. They have won the same number of league games but Chelsea lost one fewer whilst gaining an extra draw. Brighton have played 5 of the established top 6 in that time whilst Chelsea have only played 3. Lol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here