Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our Premier League Transfers

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Def some that we’re reported as lower but it’s all context isn’t it. We’ve got feck knows how much from TV money in that time.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Just over 200 million is more accurate but also a lot less sensational than nearly a quarter of a billion.

Is it sensationalist? It's a lot of money whichever was you look at it and I, for one, had no idea we'd spent so much on fringe and younger players.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think we have bought plenty of bargains within that list. Our bigger spends have all been calculated and we clearly have a model that won't cause too many loses, many of our rivals have paid £30m+ on players and would struggle to get even half of that amount back from selling on

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Ali J, Locadia and Izzy all pretty much no sell on value. Ali J we might get 15million if we are lucky but big losses on those players.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Not far off a quarter of a billion quid. Wowsers.

View attachment 126357

This data comes from TransferMarket. Not saying its 100% accurate but I know it's a source that is used quite widely and is thought to be as accurate as anywhere on historic deals.

No way was Button £4m. Many of those are correct though and show how poor alot of our business has been. For approx £200m we shouldn't be anywhere near a relegation battle every year.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
No way was Button £4m. Many of those are correct though and show how poor alot of our business has been. For approx £200m we shouldn't be anywhere near a relegation battle every year.

I think he was. I remember that being mentioned when we signed him.

For approx £200m we shouldn't be anywhere near a relegation battle every year.

Why not? Villa spent the best part of half that in just one year and they are still fighting relegation in the last match of the season.

Just spending money is no way the answer to success. It's how you spend it that counts

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I feel the same way, but other clubs in the relegation battle (with the honourable exception of Norwich - who adopted a kamikaze approach by hardly spending anything) have probably fared worse. Look at what Villa, Bmuff and West Ham have spent in the last year or so.

Bmuff: Lerma (£25m), Solanke (£19m), Danjuma (£16m), Billing (£15m)....
Villa: Wesley (£22m), Mings (£20m), Konsa (£12m), Nakamba (£11m), Samatta (£9m)...
West Ham: Haller (£45m), Andersen (£34m), Fornals (£25m), Bowen (£19m)...

To be fair to West Ham, a few of those are decent players - but they are still below us in the table!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's the wages that matter. The table correlates pretty closely with with wage bills (of course with a few outliers)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes, the problem with spending big money is that you have to pay them big money, and if they turn out dud then you have them seeing out their contracts, thereby reducing the amount available for new duds. I’m just glad it’s not me making these decisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here