Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our last day game v Villa…remembering Spurs v Southampton 1977/1978

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
The end of the 1977/78 season included the hugely controversial and seemingly contrived 0-0 draw between Spurs and Stains that saw both win promotion from the old Div 2 at the expense of us, purely on goal difference. It still rankles with many.

Some idle speculation could see our last game of the season at Villa with both clubs in a similar position - in other words both needing a point to guarantee European football next season, but this time at the expense of Spurs. I, for one, would be utterly delighted if that happened. I didn’t start supporting the Albion until 1979, so the game in question from a couple of seasons earlier is not as anger-making for me as it is for others but, since we became a prem team, I have gradually grown to loathe Spurs and, obviously, our most recent league game - full of every type of injustice - still makes my blood boil.

After last night, we probably all agree with Roberto that there are such things as football gods. If so, let’s hope Villa and us squeeze Spurs out in an act of karma 45 years in the making.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That would be HILARIOUS.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
In this case we will most likely be fighting it out for a place in the Europa League and the Europa Conference. Would you want to settle for the Conference League?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The end of the 1977/78 season included the hugely controversial and seemingly contrived 0-0 draw between Spurs and Stains that saw both win promotion from the old Div 2 at the expense of us, purely on goal difference. It still rankles with many.

Some idle speculation could see our last game of the season at Villa with both clubs in a similar position - in other words both needing a point to guarantee European football next season, but this time at the expense of Spurs. I, for one, would be utterly delighted if that happened. I didn’t start supporting the Albion until 1979, so the game in question from a couple of seasons earlier is not as anger-making for me as it is for others but, since we became a prem team, I have gradually grown to loathe Spurs and, obviously, our most recent league game - full of every type of injustice - still makes my blood boil.

After last night, we probably all agree with Roberto that there are such things as football gods. If so, let’s hope Villa and us squeeze Spurs out in an act of karma 45 years in the making.
The sme thought had occurred to me!

In this case we will most likely be fighting it out for a place in the Europa League and the Europa Conference. Would you want to settle for the Conference League?
The stars would have to be properly aligned - us in 6th. and mathematically unable to get 5th. and Villa unable to overtake us.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
To be honest, yes. I know the Happy Shopper Thursday Night Special Cup is spectacularly low grade but, candidly, it would be utterly incredible to be in Europe. I’m so old that all the crap we had to suffer from the mid 90s until we got The Amex is still fresh and raw and to imagine then that the Albion could be in Europe was, literally, unthinkable.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be honest, yes. I know the Happy Shopper Thursday Night Special Cup is spectacularly low grade but, candidly, it would be utterly incredible to be in Europe. I’m so old that all the crap we had to suffer from the mid 90s until we got The Amex is still fresh and raw and to imagine then that the Albion could be in Europe was, literally, unthinkable.
Until recently I'd have agreed, but to be honest I'd be slightly disappoined if we don't make the Europa League now (OK, I'm a Brighton fan, so disappointment is in my psyche!)
Would be most enjoyable to watch the stream of top quality global super-star managers reject the offer to manage Spurs because they're not in Europe though - genuine karma! Pay back for '78 and the more recent PGMOL 2 Brighton 1 farce. Please let it happren!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The sme thought had occurred to me!

The stars would have to be properly aligned - us in 6th. and mathematically unable to get 5th. and Villa unable to overtake us.
Ideal scenario.
The mighty Spurs are winning comfortably at Leeds. We are beating Villa with 95 min gone on the clock. Villa need a point for Europe. Cue, a hopelessly underhit back pass from the Great Lewis Dunk, straight to the feet of Watkins the Wizard. Goal. Mayhem. No time to kick off.
Dejection and deflation at Elland Road as the mighty Spurs fail to make even the Europa Conference League and the rustle of bag packing is heard at Chez Kane.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Ideal scenario.
The mighty Spurs are winning comfortably at Leeds. We are beating Villa with 95 min gone on the clock. Villa need a point for Europe. Cue, a hopelessly underhit back pass from the Great Lewis Dunk, straight to the feet of Watkins the Wizard. Goal. Mayhem. No time to kick off.
Dejection and deflation at Elland Road as the mighty Spurs fail to make even the Europa Conference League and the rustle of bag packing is heard at Chez Kane.
You forgot the Leeds relegated bit.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
The ideal scenario is that we make the Europa League at Villa’s expense with a Villa goal not awarded because the referee’s watch didn’t bleep when it had clearly crossed the line. I’m neutral on whether this could send Villa to the Conference League or out of Europe altogether, I’d be ok with whichever option they would want the least!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When I was younger The UEFA cup and the Cup Winners cup probably were equal.
I’d love 6th but if it’s 7th👍that’s ok. Or maybe 4th still.😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Honestly, I'd rather we won, stealing 4th place off Man Utd in the process and either Aston Villa or Spurs ended up in that shite Europa Conference thing and the other one finished 8th.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Honestly, I'd rather we won, stealing 4th place off Man Utd in the process and either Aston Villa or Spurs ended up in that shite Europa Conference thing and the other one finished 8th.
We might be better of in the Europa conference, there are some really good teams in the Europa league ,
we would have more chance of winning the Conference

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But that's not like the Southampton Spurs game, where they both needed 1 point to get promoted at our expense - if we're fixed in 6th, we won't care whether we win or lose, so we won't need to play for a point.

If we were both 3 points ahead of Spurs, with a draw guaranteeing us 6th/7th, then it would make sense for both teams to take the point and Europe.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we nicked ahead of Man Utd on the final day pipping them for 4th I think I’d die from overhappiness.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Can't really see RDZ settling for anything other than an all out barney!! No surrender..............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here