[Albion] Our Club

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I personally dont give a shit what other people think of our club. I want them to hate it and piss off back where they came from. We often fall in the trap of being too welcoming. Points are not awarded for hospitality, they are earned on the pitch, and we should make it as uncomfortable as possible for the staff, fans and players from the moment they get off the bus until the moment they get back on it
I quite like the fact that our club is welcoming and that we attract families, your post sounds like it’s written by a bitter palace fan to be honest.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I personally dont give a shit what other people think of our club. I want them to hate it and piss off back where they came from. We often fall in the trap of being too welcoming. Points are not awarded for hospitality, they are earned on the pitch, and we should make it as uncomfortable as possible for the staff, fans and players from the moment they get off the bus until the moment they get back on it

Sort of agree with your sentiment. Tho - face it! - the Amex is NEVER going to be anybody's idea of a hostile place to come to. It's about as unwelcoming as Mothercare. Luckily it's what happens on the pitch that counts. Need to nip any creeping on-pitch niceness in the BUD tho eh? Less emotional intelligence, more football intelligence

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

1. Premier League regulations regarding dressing rooms and how opposing teams are to be treated and so on are quite in-depth and basically says "your guests are kings", and these regulations are to be followed.

2. Sports is, above all, about people and playing with people. There's hundreds of millions of kids out there playing football and other than the sport itself, it also helps people to develop socially and be happy in life. What elite sport clubs do is always going to trickle down to youth levels. If every elite team starts treating their guests like ***** it would soon be a talking point, and thats when it will starting affecting people and society. Nah. Be nice. Win through being the better team playing better football and leave the dishonorable filthy stuff to those afraid of fair competition.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

That might be fine for someone like Millwall. They may actually mean it. From a city as welcoming and inclusive as Brighton & Hove, it just wouldn't ring true. The place is all about making outsiders feel welcome and football clubs are doing one of their main jobs if they reflect the best values of the community they serve. If the disadvantage is that away teams may go home with the odd point more than they otherwise would (although there's no research to show this to be the case), then this needs to be weighed against the advantage that the club has a well respected brand that opens up wider opportunities that can see financial returns that can be invested in the playing side and help win more points.

There's more than one path to success and I like that we tend to take the high road, with occasional wanders down the road less traveled. That is what the city is about, that's what the people are about, so that's what the football team should be about too. It might not be macho enough for traditionalists, but if we were to try to turn the Amex into some Fratton like cesspit despite the crowds being mainly middle class, suburban, and wealthy enough to pay the high prices for live football in the South East of England, we would end up looking fake and desperate to manufacture an identity because we weren't proud of who we really are. Whisper it.... We'd be Crystal Palace.

Last edited:

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
That might be fine for someone like Millwall. They may actually mean it. From a City as welcoming and inclusive as Brighton & Hove, it just wouldn't ring true. The place is all about making outsiders feel welcome and football clubs are doing one of their main jobs if they reflect the best values of the community they serve. If the disadvantage is that away teams may go home with the odd point more than they otherwise would (although there's no research to show this to be the case), then this needs to be weighed against the advantage that the club has a well respected brand that opens up wider opportunities that can see financial returns that can be invested in the playing side.

There's more than one path to success and I like that we tend to take the high road, with occasional wanders down the road less traveled. That is what the City is about, that's what the people are about, so that's what the football team should be about too. It might not be macho enough for traditionalists, but if we were to try to turn the Amex into some Fratton like cesspit despite the crowds being mainly middle class, suburban, and wealthy enough to pay the high prices for live football in the South East of England, we would end up looking fake and desperate to manufacture an identity because we weren't proud of who we really are. Whisper it.... We'd be Crystal Palace.

This exactly.

el punal

I bet they love the 3 points we also throw around like confetti.

Um, what 3 points? The only defeats this season have been against better opponents on the day - Everton and Man City. The games we should have done better results-wise were against Norwich and Newcastle. So, overall we haven’t done too badly, as reflected in our League position. Therefore, not really deserving of a dig, unless of course you’re having a wee bit of a wind-up perhaps?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You are Dave Bassett and I claim my £5 book token.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1. Premier League regulations regarding dressing rooms and how opposing teams are to be treated and so on are quite in-depth and basically says "your guests are kings", and these regulations are to be followed.

2. Sports is, above all, about people and playing with people. There's hundreds of millions of kids out there playing football and other than the sport itself, it also helps people to develop socially and be happy in life. What elite sport clubs do is always going to trickle down to youth levels. If every elite team starts treating their guests like ***** it would soon be a talking point, and thats when it will starting affecting people and society. Nah. Be nice. Win through being the better team playing better football and leave the dishonorable filthy stuff to those afraid of fair competition.

This.

el punal

Are you referring to “them” being our opponents or opposition fans? If it’s the latter what sort of Neanderthal world do you live in? I had enough of this shit in the 1970s and 80s going to away games and I don’t particularly want to experience it again. The world of football watching has changed, mostly for the better.

I somehow think your jaundiced view is only shared by a small minority. A case in point - I took my grandson to our game at Anfield recently. The Liverpool fans before and after the game were friendly and complimentary. At no time was there any animosity and both my grandson and myself enjoyed the chat and banter with the Reds fans on the train there and back. Give me that any day to your seething abuse and bile that you seem to wish for.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Um, what 3 points? The only defeats this season have been against better opponents on the day - Everton and Man City. The games we should have done better results-wise were against Norwich and Newcastle. So, overall we haven’t done too badly, as reflected in our League position. Therefore, not really deserving of a dig, unless of course you’re having a wee bit of a wind-up perhaps?

Reading that and it's as if one home win in an entire calendar year didn't actually happen.

Which is nice.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

We're not Galatasary, thank ****!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We're not Galatasary, thank ****!

He sounds like some 15 year old keyboard warrior ******* furiously over his keyboard whilst writing that…and probably his other 23 posts!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

Or we could just beat them

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Are you referring to “them” being our opponents or opposition fans? If it’s the latter what sort of Neanderthal world do you live in? I had enough of this shit in the 1970s and 80s going to away games and I don’t particularly want to experience it again. The world of football watching has changed, mostly for the better.

I somehow think your jaundiced view is only shared by a small minority. A case in point - I took my grandson to our game at Anfield recently. The Liverpool fans before and after the game were friendly and complimentary. At no time was there any animosity and both my grandson and myself enjoyed the chat and banter with the Reds fans on the train there and back. Give me that any day to your seething abuse and bile that you seem to wish for.

This.

Football in the 80s was vile. I didn't bother going as I felt any enjoyment taken from watching the game was totally offset by the fear of travelling before and after the game. I'm over 6' and used to be able to take care of myself when needed, but that's a far cry from putting myself into a situation where I need to (I lived in the Midlands then).

Going back to those days would probably mean I'd give live footie a swerve again.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Are the directors of visiting clubs really queuing up at the kiosks to buy pies? Surely they have full hospitality with gourmet catering laid on for them?

You are correct . Visiting directors of the team Btn are playing are entertained in the directors box which is approx about the size of 6 normal boxes . They usually have a choice of carved beef or lamb ( chef carving the meat ) with the usual veg & roast potatoes etc plus there’s a help yourself buffet of salmon etc and chicken plus salads . There’s usually a hot pudding for dessert and some other choices . Plus other food I’ve forgotten about . After the final whistle there usually mini fish and chips . The waitresses/ waiters take your drink orders during the meal . All very civilised and pleasant .

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
You are correct . Visiting directors of the team Btn are playing are entertained in the directors box which is approx about the size of 6 normal boxes . They usually have a choice of carved beef or lamb ( chef carving the meat ) with the usual veg & roast potatoes etc plus there’s a help yourself buffet of salmon etc and chicken plus salads . There’s usually a hot pudding for dessert and some other choices . Plus other food I’ve forgotten about . After the final whistle there usually mini fish and chips . The waitresses/ waiters take your drink orders during the meal . All very civilised and pleasant .

I assumed that pies were on offer within the directors' box! If they're going out of their way to pay for the pies then they have some real appreciation. The set-up is apparently fantastic in the box and, to be given favourite stadium accolade, is a huge endorsement. Apparently all their directors look forward to visiting. Not just the facilities but the people too. He couldn't have been more complimentary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports