Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Biggest Weakness

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
I have posted this comment before, but it is now becoming a serious concern.

The last time we won a game after falling behind was..................

Doncaster at home last season. This is a statistic that can't be ignored. There have been many games we have dominated, tonight included, but failed to turn a game around.

Why is this?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Doncaster at home last season. This is a statistic that can't be ignored. There have been many games we have dominated, tonight included, but failed to turn a game around.

Why is this?

Gus said he was going to buy a goalscorer in the summer & although he got 7? in, none of them can score

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011

Why is this?

4th August 2012 - Chelsea - 0-1 down to win 3-1

And as for the signings, we haven't bought the striker we needed. Dobbie will score goals but from a withdrawn midfied role with a threat like CMS in front of him. He will eventually be key when he beds in the team and develops a partnership with CMS.

TBH would rather see Barnes as the central striker on Tuesday, whether that means playing Dobbie behind him or replacing him with Orlandi, LuaLua or Lopez. Maybe even give Agdestein a chance, will all depend on who performs in training.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Our style of play is like a well oiled machine, when one cog isn't functioning the rest of the machine struggles to operate functionally.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Still need someone strong up front for our front players to play off and to score the ugly goals when the sexy football is just not coming off.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
We have not got any player that will put his head/body where it hurts when balls are crossed into the box. We need muscle up front.

First statement... Adam El-Abd when he goes for set piece

I'm assuming you meant up front though and agree, although CMS does it to an extent. Crofts wouldn't duck out of a challenge either!

Do need that striker who can bully defenders about a bit more, and offer us something different, but need to score goals. Today just reminded me how threadbare our strikeforce is without CMS. Barnes and Dobbie are hardly strikers, deep lying at best. Leaving Agdestein and Barker? Need something else Gus!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Our biggest weakness is that we can only play one way. We're very good at it and have more quality than most teams so it won't often be an issue. But I just feel that we will always have games like today while Gus is in charge, because if the other team works out how to nullify us we can't do anything else. We're like a Championship Arsenal. The only hope is that in this division the problem won't show up too often, so we can still challenge.

Nah - Gus was right on several fronts today...

- The Gus style worked.
- Our players did make the wrong decisions (or just consistently arsed up) when well placed. We won't go many games where we continually fail to deliver a killer final ball when so well placed.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We have not got any player that will put his head/body where it hurts when balls are crossed into the box. We need muscle up front.

Gus says about patience to break down a packed defence:

Breaking down a team that defends deep | Tactics | FourFourTwo Performance

I think we need guile as well. e.g. Vicente.

Cardiff played with both Bellamy and Noone against Blackpool.

It has always been a problem, especially in the days of Neil McCrab. It really helps if a player is good with both feet and can change direction an instant e.g. Peter Ward, perhaps Kazenga Lualua? Vicente (again).

And taking a gamble like Johnny Byrne, one forward running towards the near post, the other striker at the far post and a midfielder arriving late into the penalty area.

Tony Carr: Switching play | Tactics | FourFourTwo Performance

Vicente for

Tony Carr: Making the killer pass | Tactics | FourFourTwo Performance

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I'm not sure I agree with that. The Gus style is about a) keeping the ball and b) being able to pose a threat on goal when the opportunity arises. We kept the ball well, but that was always going to be the case bearing in mind Birmingham effectively ABDICATED their attacking intent for the entire second half. We also need to threaten the goal and the fact their keeper didn't have a shot on target to deal with suggests we did not. Too often we got to within 30 yards of Birmingham's goal and ran out of ideas. There was none of the composure I would associate with the Gus style. I just don't see that we got into many of the great positions you suggest we did. All I witnessed was a lot of ponderous play midway inside their half and a couple of aimless runs from Buckley/KLL.

For me, it's a worrying game, because it showed that we have a problem when the other team puts 11 men behind the ball and intends only to clear their lines. This is the complaint Arsenal fans always have; that they play the pretty football but too often fail to break down teams that seek only to ruin the game. The good news for us is that we can afford many more slip-ups in order to achieve our goal than they can to realise theirs.

What are you saying - (For me, it's a worrying game, because it showed that we have a problem when the other team puts 11 men behind the ball and intends only to clear their lines. This is the complaint Arsenal fans always have; that they play the pretty football but too often fail to break down teams that seek only to ruin the game. The good news for us is that we can afford many more slip-ups in order to achieve our goal than they can to realise theirs.

Oh hang on, that sounds a bit like today except today they maintained such a high line that we didn't know what to do about overcoming it !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nah - Gus was right on several fronts today...

- The Gus style worked.
- Our players did make the wrong decisions (or just consistently arsed up) when well placed. We won't go many games where we continually fail to deliver a killer final ball when so well placed.
Just in case there could have been any doubt as to the accuracy of this statement...
I'm not sure I agree with that.
That pretty much proves you right Bozza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here